Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full-Contact Kung Fu Gear: Fairtex, Ringside, other?

Full-Contact Kung Fu Gear: Fairtex, Ringside, other?

I am about to start taking San Shou (San Da) classes and I was wondering what equipment brands other people who do San Shou in the US prefer for the sport? I notice some practitioners wear Muay Thai gear like Fairtex and Windy and others just use boxing equipment like Ringside gear. Anyone have any personal experience with any particular brand and have a recommendation on what is best for San Shou? Much appreciated and thanks in advance!

Side question: Are Feiyue shoes the definitive "best shoes for Kung Fu"?

ive always been a fan of everlast or adidas personally. but i think its more a matter of personal preference and quality of product than anything else.

as for the shoes, i would say that yes feiyue is pretty much the go to kungfu shoe. i dont know if best is the right word to describe it though. again i think its a matter of personal preference. feiyue is a great shoe for practicing in though. I have a couple pair, then i also have a pair of adidas martial art shoes and a few pairs of in door soccer shoes of varying brands.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by wushuaddict View Post
    I am about to start taking San Shou (San Da) classes and I was wondering what equipment brands other people who do San Shou in the US prefer for the sport? I notice some practitioners wear Muay Thai gear like Fairtex and Windy and others just use boxing equipment like Ringside gear. Anyone have any personal experience with any particular brand and have a recommendation on what is best for San Shou? Much appreciated and thanks in advance!
    Everlast is what we use.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Thanks for the replies. Everlast and Adidas seems to have good glove selections but I'm curious about where to get other San Shou gear like a good chest guard similar to the ones in this San Shou vid:

2003 San Shou Championships

All the ones I've found look really bulky and "puffy" and don't really look like the ones these athletes use.

Thanks for the replies. Everlast and Adidas seems to have good glove selections but I'm curious about where to get other San Shou gear like a good chest guard similar to the ones in this San Shou vid:

All the ones I've found look really bulky and "puffy" and don't really look like the ones these athletes use.
    We use the one commonly used in Taekwondo schools. It has a neck loop and a velcro belt with loop in the rear. It has good chest, stomach and kidney protection. Plus the metal loop is small enough to prevent injuries if thrown.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

martialartsmart has a some Adidas ones looks like some Adidas gear is on sale too.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    as for the shoes, i would say that yes feiyue is pretty much the go to kungfu shoe. i dont know if best is the right word to describe it though. again i think its a matter of personal preference. feiyue is a great shoe for practicing in though. I have a couple pair, then i also have a pair of adidas martial art shoes and a few pairs of in door soccer shoes of varying brands.
    For an opposing point of view... I hate feiyues. I find the treads are too deep giving too much resistance during any sort of pivoting motion, shuffling or sliding step. Also every pair I've bought has the sole at the toe so thickly cushioned that it feels even more awkward. For my money I'd take almost anything else.

twins is really high quality stuff, I also like ringside good leather and they hold up well.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

I like the feiyue's, but if you want to use spend your money wisely, I would get a pair of Asic's wrestling shoes because they work on just about any surface and provide plenty of support.

For boxing/kickboxing gloves I go with everlast, but shinpads, I have a Tigerclaw brand that I absolutely love.

Savate shoes I hear are really nice for kickboxing with shoes, they were designed for it too.

Faxing, wrestling shoes are designed so that you are leaning forward keeping your ankles bent way forward, in your stance.... absolutly horrible for martial arts
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    Faxing, wrestling shoes are designed so that you are leaning forward keeping your ankles bent way forward, in your stance.... absolutly horrible for martial arts
    Your description of "keeping your ankles bent way forward" doesn't make much anatomical sense, but I will say that I am going to probably disagree with you. I have never had the experience of being off balance while wearing them.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    wrestling boots have flat soles and thin inner soles, so there is no leaning forward.
    If you look at Jing Mo Kung-Fu boots and wrestling boots, wrestling boots are "state of the art" Jing-Mo boots-flat soles, reinforced toe and heel, ankle high, but they lace up and have arches, providing support.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I thought that sounded weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    I like the feiyue's, but if you want to use spend your money wisely, I would get a pair of Asic's wrestling shoes because they work on just about any surface and provide plenty of support.

For boxing/kickboxing gloves I go with everlast, but shinpads, I have a Tigerclaw brand that I absolutely love.

Savate shoes I hear are really nice for kickboxing with shoes, they were designed for it too.
    i really like asics. dont like the high top so i usually wear the tigers. the thing about feiyues is that they wear out pretty quickly. i normally use feiyues when im training outside, then in door soccer shoes when im inside. i actually like running in my feiyues too.

I share my school with wrestlers and coaches, they sell all kinds of wrestling shoes. When you look at them they are desgined to keep you leaning forward and the ankle in a forward bent postition, this is not good at all for falling postions, leaning back , sweeps etc etc, its would actually pinch your achilles tendon nad crimp the shoe if you lean back for any reason. I have inlused a pic so you can see what I am trying to explian.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan