Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What could this guy do using his yang style to win?

What could this guy do using his yang style to win?

I never thought that modern yang style guys were also into fighting, nevertheless what this guy does is pretty humiliating for TCMA and shows what lack of experience in fighting has done to these systems. However I want to know how you think this guy could win the fight using his style against the white belt BJJ guy.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjMxMzIzNjEy.html

Blog Entries
    How many Taiji guys train defense against "shooting" and ground game? Taiji guys should rearrange their training priority,

If the taji guy was faster and more focused what would be his chances in attacking the bjj guy's head with his knee or fists in that first takedown?
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 07-23-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Looks like Chinese video sites force you to watch ads before you can watch the video, too, like YouTube does

Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    If the taji guy was faster and more focused what would be his chances in attacking the bjj guy's head with his knee or fists in that first takedown?
    Very low. Not saying it never happens, but it probably rarely happens, especially if you don't train against resisting opponents who are trying to take you down. A lot of the "too deadly" people who say they would stop a take down attempt with knees have probably never trained against a resisting opponent who was actually competent at grappling. Instead, they probably train against another student in their class who has no experience grappling, like the equivalent of the punch counters where the opponent throws a punch and leaves his arm extended afterward. I'm sure there are many grapplers would would be happy to train with those people.

Has anyone here ever seen a TMA person successfully stop a takedown with knees or anything else in any of the earlier UFCs when it was style vs style?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

zero. if he is fat, 5 percent.

your best chance would be to offer the mma guy to push hands, and sucker punch him.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-24-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

The BJJ guy has learned to use his stuff in an environment where he is virtually never training it solo. His road work is solo, his BJJ work is invariably done with a resisting partner.

This is not true of Tai Chi players who focus on being alone and doing their chosen family set. The greater part of all tai chi players do not do resistance training, do not spar with any real force and the extent of their partner practice is push hands which is a competition thing in and of itself but no where near anything like a real conflict.

In short, Tai Chi is not a useful martial art martially at this point. It has been for the most stripped of all the martially useful stuff and turned into a health regimen for old people or a martial art for people who don't want to do all the hard work part of martial arts.

It's good health exercise based in martial arts but is no longer martially valuable.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Those "defenses" have been dis proven more times than blocking fists with your face.
    Fact is that the defending the shoot with knees only works ONE way and that is NOT the way that TCMA tend to train it.
    You defend the shoot with a knee by moving/jumping INTO the attempted shoot/tackle ( which does NOT work VS a take down from the inside).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    zero. if he is fat, 5 percent.

your best chance would be to offer the mma guy to push hands, and sucker punch him.
    Good point.

A lot of more traditional martial arts (not just Taiji) have been so focused on preserving the "tradition" and they have stopped allowing their art to evolve over time.

The mindset seems to be, "If it worked way back then, it'll work now." But that's really just a lame excuse to get fat and do your forms by yourself.

The reality is: Things change and if your art doesn't adapt to that change then it stops being useful as a legitimate fighting method - it becomes an anachronism. Sure, it can have it's place as a way to honor older traditions and build discipline (perhaps even some level of fitness) but it won't be of much use outside of that context.

he would have a better chance astrally projecting himself out of the way...

The TCMA guy would have been better off training to deal with a simple 1-2 combo ( that got him on his ass) also.
    In short that was a typical example of what NOT fighting VS someone trying to punch you in the face and take you down, does to a person.
    How many times in demos or clips showning TCMA, do you see them deal with a simple 1-2 combo?
    Rarely, but you do see them "dealing" with a "step-in punch and leave the arm there" attack, LOL !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

He could learn how to, you know, fight...

at all...

Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I would say most tai chi aggressive moves are not allowed in sport fighting , like striking weak areas or chin-na breaks, and using environment around area.

He is out of luck in this environment, depending on skill levels.

In this video , it does not look like the guy tried to do anything except survive without getting injured.

Come on, don't make excuses. The Taiji guy reacted like a non-fighter. He didn't react like a restrained fighter who couldn't make use of his best stuff - he got plowed over by a shoot immediately and later geot floored by a bit of a sloppy hook punch he didn't seem to see coming.

I'm sorry, but if he had any fighting skills why didn't he even try a shoulder check? I'm sure those are part of the Taiji curriculum during push hands. For that matter why didn't he try to turn out of the direct line of the shoot?

And I won't even get started on his... I want to say low-inside-crescent kick....
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

taiji has no excuses. all the same material is in taiji that is in long fist. you CAN use taiji to fight, as long as you train to fight...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Come on, don't make excuses. The Taiji guy reacted like a non-fighter. He didn't react like a restrained fighter who couldn't make use of his best stuff - he got plowed over by a shoot immediately and later geot floored by a bit of a sloppy hook punch he didn't seem to see coming.

I'm sorry, but if he had any fighting skills why didn't he even try a shoulder check? I'm sure those are part of the Taiji curriculum during push hands. For that matter why didn't he try to turn out of the direct line of the shoot?

And I won't even get started on his... I want to say low-inside-crescent kick....
    Ask him, maybe at his level he was not able to, who knows, could a, would a, should a, you could go on forever.