Thread: Tiger Balm linament = Jow?

**Little*Dragon** Guest

Tiger Balm linament = Jow?

Isn't it basically the same thing? I can't find Jow around here...but I can get Tiger Balm

Little Dragon

EARTH DRAGON Guest
    nothing alike! tiger balm is a topic salve that uses campor and menthol as its main ingredients kinda like bengay for sore muscles, and is available anywhere.
    dit dat jow is a very old recipe or formula composed of various herbs by trained herbologists or O.M.D's and fermented for many years with certain kinds of rice wine to create at miracle potion if you will to asist in various types of training i.e iron palm, qi/blood cirrculation or for condtioning the body, or simply to remove bruises from the skin.
    they are in no way to be compared. One problem is that usually if you can not find any like from your sifu or teacher no one will tell you how to make it! It is usually a highly gaurded family secret , you can order some weaker mixtures in bottles on line but In my experience they are not very good!

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

**Little*Dragon** Guest

Earth Dragon

Well
    I have a recipe in a book from Wong Kiew Kit. It has all the amounts and everything but the names of the ingredients are in chinese...so I don't know what they are.

Here it is:
    ru xiang,mo yao,chuan hong hua,gui wei,zhi ke,chuan gong,tao ren,mu xiang,chen xiang,jin jie,chi yao,ji geng,zhi zi,hu gu, dan pi

Take 12 grams of each ingredient and soak mixture in 3 pints of white rice wine. After 2 months,discard the residue.
    Use: Rub mixture externally on injured spot, and avoid bringing medicated part in contact with water for 1 hour.

-Wong Kiew Kit

The trouble is that I have no idea where to get the ingredients. Help!

Little Dragon

azwingchun Guest

Little Dragon

I have a Chinese medicine doctor here in Phoenix who has many herbs which I have not been able to find anywhere else. His name is Dr. Peter Chow. I do know that he does mail orders, if my memory serves me right. ;)

EARTH DRAGON Guest

dear little dragon

some of the herbs you listed are very good some are not, in that recipe I noticed that lion coin and sassafrass flower were missing along with some other herbs I use In my jow which I find to be very strong. I do however question why a gaurded secret for so many years would be listed in a book unless ther is some substitution in formulas to make it not as potent as his personal receipe. But I do not know for sure so I wont say it is not true ,however It would be like asking famous amous for his cookie receipe you may get the same results! missing the secret ingredients!
    PS you should never throw away the herbs in the jar for it can be used as poulmis. and It takes much longer than two months to ferment properly the longer it ferments the stronger it is! I have some thats 15 years old and still unopened.

azwingchun Guest

Earth Dragon

I agree with what you are saying, though when I once asked Dr Chow (who I mentioned in my previous post) why some people use more herbs than others, his reply was he felt that some people use too many herbs. Because many recipes use mulitiple herbs which have similar qualities and functions, do to this some can be left out, assuming that the right herbs are used in the proper quantity and also prepared properly. I am assuming he was referring to overkill. ;)

EARTH DRAGON Guest
    I would imagine that some herbs could be left out if you were to analize each herb and their medicinal properties and function, but I am not a herbologists and could not make this decsion soley based on my knowledge of herbology, but I would guess that if a chinese doctor would look at all the herbs used in our mixture he could possibly rule some redundant, how ever the formula was created by our second genderation grand master who was a herbology doctor and therefore led to believe that each herb plays a specific role in the receipe. But again receipes differ so Its hard to say. Have you asked your doctor freind to mix you up jow? would he be willing? if so I suggest you ask him to it would be well worth it!

Kannik Guest

If you would like to buy some...

...assuming you can't find the ingredients near your place or want to try one different, Wing Lam Enterprises sell some at www.wle.com under their store section. }:)

Kannik

azwingchun Guest

Earth Dragon

Actually that is how I met him, I was training with an instructor who gave me a recipe (though I no longer have it) and he instructed me to go to Dr Chow for the herbs. When Dr Chow looked over the list he said that this was his recipe, well come to find out the instructor had in fact received the recipe from Dr Chow. Though the recipe was non-like I had ever seen, it worked great. What I mean by "like non that I had ever seen" is that he put iron nails (raw iron nails-uncoated) in with the herbs.

azwingchun Guest

Earth Dragon

LMAO......I am sorry but I have to laugh at the second GENDERation Grandmaster. No disrespect intended. ;)

EARTH DRAGON Guest
    whoops! ha ha cant type to save my life! I usually prof my posts too! what was the reciepe for? if it is his for jow just have him make up some more, I would think that the nails serve as pure iron like the earths iron it is smelted from pig orr I think and this may be his way of adding natural iron but round pellets would have been safer!that is waht I strike when I do iron palm but they are very hard to find.you are lucjky to have a O.M.D close by do you use a lot of linements? i have many bottles of zheng gu shui and wood lock that I use all the time , but i have to drive 2 1/2 to chinatown to get them your lucky to have him so close

azwingchun Guest

Earth Dragon

I haven't had any of his for about a year now, but thinking about making some more. It is very cost effective, I use it several times a day, and that gets pretty expensive when buying pre-made jow from a someone else. :D

EARTH DRAGON Guest
    I agree! I can make 5 gallon pickle jars of jow for $11.00 yet they sell much weaker stuff for 15.00 for 8oz.
    kinda like the 1oz bottles of ginseng that find at the gas station that seel for a dollar, I buy a box which contains 30 bottles for $4.95 they make a $25.00 profit on each case! wow corporate america

**Little*Dragon** Guest

Earth Dragon

Do you make your own jow? Would you sell me some?

Little Dragon

fiercest tiger Guest

hi everyone

ill be selling iron palm medicine as well as internal drinking and external bruise linement soon!

there is many formulas also, some maybe to strong and you may get a reaction, you should stop and try a different dit dar jau!

come & visit us!
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
    yaukungmun@hotmail.com