Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just a personal observation

Just a personal observation

I don't think solo empty hand forms should be used to demonstrate kung fu anymore. Keeping them in the kwoon for training purposes is fine, but IMO they're a terrible way to demonstrate kung fu to the general public.

Discuss.

Agreed and disagree. It won't show what the form does or how it's used against opponents unless you have some experience in m.a and can kinda guess it. Audiences are into flashy forms not traditional stuff.

Too many people learn MULTIPLE forms and then resort to kickboxing.

Why waste your time, when you can be kickboxing if that is how you fight.

For me, that is why South Mantis and Baguazhang and others arts appeal to me. Not many forms but lots and lots of work with drills against people who move and try and whack you.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    Agreed and disagree. It won't show what the form does or how it's used against opponents unless you have some experience in m.a and can kinda guess it. Audiences are into flashy forms not traditional stuff.
    Even the flashy don't cut it IMO. Just seems that the world doesn't need to see another skinny dude flopping about in their silky PJs.

Maybe if they broke it down into smaller portions with a demo of the self defense technique against a person in between sections. But just to do a solo form anymore kind've makes TCMA look weak IMO.

Agreed focus on one at a time until you become adept at it.

I actually like forms for demo purposes, they can show the grace and skill of the practitioners.
    I do not care for "overly choreographed" two man sets or "play sparring".
    I think that if a person or school is going to do a demo, they should do one that highlights what a system is about and what a person will learn in that school.
    Sparring should be a part of it.
    This clip here shows what I think is a good demo of a system and school:

From Uechi-ryu master kyohide Shinjo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WClie...eature=related
    9 minutes but worth because he ( and his students) demo virtually all that is Uechi-ryu AND even include *gasp* sparring!
    granted it isn't full contact but it is free style and NOT cooperative.
    They show:
    Forms
    Conditioning
    weapons
    Bunkai ( application of forms)
    free fighting.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

i think that the forms for demonstration capture the 'stylistic flavor' of what ever style it is pretty well, but what i would like to see in kungfu demonstration competitions is that the 'traditional' practitioners compete in both forms and fighting. one to showcase their fighting ability, the other to showcase the style they are using to fight with. i think also this would achieve two goals, one to see how well they can fight with their style, and two to see how well they employ their styles methods and principles in fighting.

modern wushu i think is its own thing and by now everyone should realize its not a representation of traditional kungfu. it is its own thing that can stand alone....preferably over in the corner

jk
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I actually like forms for demo purposes, they can show the grace and skill of the practitioners.
    I do not care for "overly choreographed" two man sets or "play sparring".
    I think that if a person or school is going to do a demo, they should do one that highlights what a system is about and what a person will learn in that school.
    Sparring should be a part of it.
    This clip here shows what I think is a good demo of a system and school:

From Uechi-ryu master kyohide Shinjo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WClie...eature=related
    9 minutes but worth because he ( and his students) demo virtually all that is Uechi-ryu AND even include *gasp* sparring!
    granted it isn't full contact but it is free style and NOT cooperative.
    They show:
    Forms
    Conditioning
    weapons
    Bunkai ( application of forms)
    free fighting.
    I saw your post on this earlier and liked it and agree it's a better way to demo. I think choreographed is fine if it's practiced and put together well. One of my favorite demos I saw live at a smaller tourney was a choreographed san shou demo where they improvised the striking almost like a give and take sparring session and really focused on doing the big oooh aaahhh throws for the audience.

Forms are fine for me for a bit but they tend to get rather dry pretty fast.

when i click that vid it says an error occured during validation every time
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Maybe someone can help me with a name...

Back in the 90's at one of the first Eagle Cup tournaments, there was an old Wing Chun sifu who did a great martial demo with this young black dude during the masters exhibition. It was all one and two step self defense stuff, but I remember it as being pretty cool. I'd like to look him up on youtube, but I don't know the guy's name. It would have been either the first or second Eagle Cup.

Blog Entries
    I don't think solo empty hand forms should be used to demonstrate kung fu anymore. Keeping them in the kwoon for training purposes is fine, but IMO they're a terrible way to demonstrate kung fu to the general public.
    why is that?

if you yourself don't like to practice forms, don't do it. i still practice forms 30 years later. for many older people, it helps to keep their bodies limber. i don't know that many elderly people personally that like to practice san shou.

still, its none of our places to speak for all TCMA. forms are tradition. forms are therapeutic. if people want to and there are, they will practice forms. forms for a non fighter is still a way to stay connected to the tradition.

so, i for one, will never give up forms. even if i'm promoting more fighting than anything, i will never give them up nor stop teaching them.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 08-02-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    why is that?
    an honest answer.......

Youtube.

We live in a world of UFC, Boxing, Olympic TKD and Judo, wrestling, and Thai Boxing. When someone takes the time to look up info on a traditional non-sport MA, they'll find a plethora of really bad forms. I personally don't like that as being what people associate TCMA with. I figure if people spent more time demoing the cool stuff, the bad will sink to the bottom of search engine h3ll.

Blog Entries
    We live in a world of UFC, Boxing, Olympic TKD and Judo, wrestling, and Thai Boxing. When someone takes the time to look up info on a traditional non-sport MA, they'll find a plethora of really bad forms. I personally don't like that as being what people associate TCMA with. I figure if people spent more time demoing the cool stuff, the bad will sink to the bottom of search engine h3ll.
    this isn't a form. it can be found on youtube. in the video is one of my student who is senior to the guy in yellow. yellow has been training with me a little more than a month now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmMsrR7FVHg
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    this isn't a form. it can be found on youtube. in the video is one of my student who is senior to the guy in yellow. yellow has been training with me a little more than a month now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmMsrR7FVHg
    To me something like this is a better way to demo a style. Like I said, earlier, maybe the guy does a small bit of a form and then stops and does that portion with pads so people get a better idea of it as a martial art.