Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just a personal observation

Why is he wearing a badge? Is he a cop?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    solo empty hand routines are a bad way to demonstrate kung fu to the general public.
    To show "ability" is better than to show "technique". The following demo may be fun to watch:

- touch your elbow to you toes (show flexibility),
    - stand on one leg and go up and down (show balance, leg strength),
    - jump in the air and throw 3 punches before feet land back down (show speed),
    - drop into a perfect floor split,
    - do a 360 degree floor sweep followed by a tornado kick in the air, and
    - end with "5 phoenix flying in the air - jumping double kicks, jumping back heel kick, jumping crescent kick" (show you can fly),
    - finally, pick up a dumb bell and start to hit on your own head (show you are crazy, don't mess with you).

Just a short demo sequence that audience can easily see it can't be done without training.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-02-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    What I'm saying is that solo empty hand routines are a bad way to demonstrate kung fu to the general public. IMO I say we need to think about how we demo TCMA to the world.
    i don't think so. a solo hand form can determine by the viewer if the performer has any skill i.e. balance, fluidity, aggression, power, concentration, focus, intent and so on. does this leave the viewer clueless because there weren't two individuals up there fighting? sure. they have no idea of what their watching in most cases.

i agree a mixture of form, applications or weapons would be great to watch. but as a teacher, i don't want my students giving up all our goodies for others to just pocket. so a simple gung fu demo is sufficient for public demo's..

david....he was a cop. he makes all his students wear a badge and learn to dance like him. hahahahaha....the badge is related to their ranks
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Disagree!

Form is for "teaching" and "learning" only. It's not for "training".
    I don't know, maybe it's the language thing.. You mean to say forms, are merely a tool in process of learning? If so, I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    blasting through your forms full blast and cleanly is GREAT cardio.

music in motion or a train wreck?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjaCAbhOOHE
    So horrible

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I'm not saying forms or forms training is bad - like my sig says, I like forms.

What I'm saying is that solo empty hand routines are a bad way to demonstrate kung fu to the general public. IMO I say we need to think about how we demo TCMA to the world.
    If that's the case, then you're missing the point.
    ok, here's how it all went down;

a gazillion years ago, when TCMAists were fighting for their lives and trained their soldiers for combat, did they do forms, or drills, drills, drills,conditioning and fighting?
    Answer? Drills, drills, drills, etc.

Fast forward a bunch'a years-people are overthrowing the Chings and training in secret, etc.
    Ok, so did they practice forms, or drills, drills, drills, etc.?
    Answer?-Drills, drills, drills, etc.

ok, Fast forward another bunch'a years, and nobody's fighting. Instead, all the teachers are trying to eek out a living from their Martial Art.
    So..they start doing demos, to show off their skillz and lure, oops, I meant attract students to their school.
    What do you show? A bunch of sweaty guys doing conditioning, and beating the bejeezus out of each other, or the Cool Tiger/Crane set?

And..how do you attract people to YOUR school instead of Master Lee's school down the street?
    "We do the Drunken Fist!"
    "Well, WE do the Monkey Fist!"

And so it went.

Originally, forms (the textbook)were only taught to lineage bearers who were chosen to pass on the system.
    Students don't need the textbook-they have it right there. Their Sifu.
    Only NOW, forms are taught to all the students as part of the curriculum.
    NOW, we teach forms to maintain interest and enrollment.

*I am speaking only of textbook/kuen-faht type forms.
    my next post will contradict all of this...sort of.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Disagree!

Form is for "teaching" and "learning" only. It's not for "training".

If that's the case, then you're missing the point.

In most systems, forms are divided into two categories;
    Developmental/Gung-Faht and textbook/techniques/Kuen-Faht

Gung-Faht/developmental forms are exactly that-training stance, structure, power generation, breath. They develop 'the Gung-Fu body.'

ok, my mistake. There is a third category, more of a recent development, and that is the demo form, purely performance.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    This is how I train my body method in my Taiji system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s3Cbt2Hsjo

形意拳的​​練法、打法、演法(表演)的口訣都是不一樣的,但現在弄混亂了,用打法去練功,用演法去比武, 這是當年形意拳普傳後留下的弊病,

The XingyYi system has different method for

- training,
    - combat, and
    - performance.

Today people use combat method for training, and use performance method for combat. Those are the major mistake.

what do you guys think about this taiji video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sw3Fyf133qo
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

It's just misleading because people see forms and think "that guy is practicing fighting techniques."

As much as I don't want to say it, forms are basically like a dance. They require great skill, flexibility, balance, technique, and endurance, but they don't really have any applicability to actual fighting against a resisting opponent.

They have their uses, though. Forms are a great workout, just like weight lifting is a great workout. But neither forms nor weight lifting contain fighting techniques.

Forms can also serve to catalog techniques. You might have a form that contains all the techniques in a style. That's another purpose they serve. Whether or not those techniques work against a resisting opponent is another question, however.

Forms are awesome at being what they are. But it's misleading to suggest they are fighting. They look like fighting to the uninitiated, so they're impressive, and that's probably why they're used.

Cuz come on, who doesn't think a form done well looks cool?

If you're a noob, they're super awesome.

If you're a fighter, you know they're not fighting, but they're still cool looking.

And it's funny that the flashier they look, the less like fighting they are, and the more they impress people

When someone does a jumping spinning back kick people are like "holy cow! That guy is a bad ass don't f- with him! He's an awesome martial artist!
    Last edited by IronFist; 08-02-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Blog Entries
    It's just misleading because people see forms and think "that guy is practicing fighting techniques."
    if i'm not practicing fighting techniques in my form then what am i practicing? i mean, if my "POON KIU YUM CHOP KWA SOW" isn't a fighting technique, what is it? in fact, break each technique down to single components, they all have something to do with fighting. period.

As much as I don't want to say it, forms are basically like a dance. They require great skill, flexibility, balance, technique, and endurance, but they don't really have any applicability to actual fighting against a resisting opponent.
    how is that any different than a boxer doing shadow boxing? one SHOULD be thinking about and react with intent with doing their forms. don't know about you, but my forms are packed with fighting combo's, both defensive and offensive and a combo of both all at the same time. so i can't relate to what you're saying here.

Forms are awesome at being what they are. But it's misleading to suggest they are fighting. They look like fighting to the uninitiated, so they're impressive, and that's probably why they're used.
    in my whole 30 years of CLF i've never once heard that a form will make you a great fighter. happy that my sifu never mislead us into believing that.

to ALL that are uninitiated to any style experienced or not, if you don't know the system, you can't say its not effective until one you fought them or learned the style.

If you're a fighter, you know they're not fighting, but they're still cool looking
    only a newb, dweeb, geek, simp, punk, busta, chump, nerd and the like would think a form represent fighting.

And it's funny that the flashier they look, the less like fighting they are, and the more they impress people
    thats why its called a PERFORMANCE.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 08-02-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    I like to create my own form (drills). The folowing sequence may not look as pretty as any TCMA form, but it's much closer to the true combat:

- right jab, left cross, right hook, left hook,
    - left front kick, right roundhouse kick, right side kick, left turn hook kick,
    - leg twist, leg lift, leg block, front cut,

There are people who do forms as a dance and people who do them for fighting. For properly trained martial artists doing forms is not that different from fighting as they maintain the fighting awareness and know what they are doing with each move. However they can only have that awareness if they also have the experience of sparring or fighting with resistant opponents. There is also different types of audience. For most normal untrained people probably exaggerated dancing forms would be more exciting. For slightly more trained people who don't know what they should look at yet, probably forms wouldn't be that exciting but for advanced martial artists who can differentiate martial artists from dancers, forms would also be a good means to see someone's skills.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 08-02-2012 at 06:54 PM.

This morning I woke up with this terrible back pain,a real hard,stiff lower back pain.At work today I really could not function normally.
    After I get off from work ,walking to my building,I am still in pain.Thats it I say "no training today"its gonna be dinner, reading and early to bed.So I'm waiting for a buddy to have dinner with and I got some time to kill.Maybe Ill just walk through my form.I do it real slow,locking in each stance,coordinating body, hands and legs the best I can.By the third WA! I feel A little looser,now I can sink a little deeper in stance.By the end of the set I feel smooth and 80% pain is gone.I walked to the resturant with no pain.
    If I got into a fight before I did this,god help me.If I got into a fight after I did this,well,god help them!
    I hit pads,bags,sometimes training partners,I generally like to hit things.I love doing intervals with kettlbells or body weight exercises.Even yoga I do sometimes.I dont think any of this stuff would have helped me as much as doing this one simple,well composed little combat dance.
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.

I'm not saying forms or forms training is bad - like my sig says, I like forms.

Probably only a minority of the general public would think like that. In my experience for most of them Kungfu is what they have seen in the fantasy land of Kungfu movies and the only way to attract their attention would be exaggerated dancing moves.

Furthermore more practical drills and sparring would be boring for many people because they don't look as beautiful and untrained people won't be able to see the techniques.