Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Just a personal observation

Blog Entries
    i didn't say forms were the problem. A more appropriate counterpoint would be: "effeminate pagentry for life!!!!"
    you're revealing too much too soon
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    We are representing Chinese Kung Fu.... Chinese Kung Fu has forms in it? Why do we try to take a square peg and try to put it into a round hole?

The vid is ok but this not encompass all of Chinese Kung Fu.... What about weapon forms? Chin Na demos? What about hat awesome 2 person spear vs 3 section staff? When we do demos... we have Forms, kids self defense, weapons, shuai chiao,womens self defense, chin na, iron palm etc... we give everyone the whole scope of the art.

I kinda dis agree wit ya here YKW.

What is a form? It is a bunch of those single techniqes you mentioned above put into a sequence. Forearm Block, then Hammer Fist, then Groin kick etc etc. All these single techniques were put into patterns for a purpose.

Forms are more than just single techniques strung together. Forms make a complete Chinese Martial Artist, they can increase flexibility, increase dynamic strength, teach footwork, teach basic fighting combos, increase your cardio endurance (needed for fighting).... I could go on and on... etc

I do agree with you that drill solo or small combos prepare you for battle. However you get these from your forms. This explains it the best:

ginosifu
    Agreed along with ten tigers. There are the flashy wushu demos or thesre's the more practical forms. Forms are a part of cma just as kata are for jma. No one will do away with forms. Forms have been part of martial arts for a long time.

Greetings,

A decent template for a demo would be:

Opening Remarks

Beginner to intermediate students: Forms

Advanced Students: Weapons, Sparring and Breaking or any other gung demonstration.

Closing Remarks

Time Frame:30 to 90 minutes

Though one can go longer, depending on the curriculum, longer demos have the effect of someone with a very strong southern drawl who happens to have a stuttering problem. It just wears people the fuk out. The smoothest chairs start to feel like sandpaper.

mickey

Anybody have luck tracking this down?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Back in the 90's at one of the first Eagle Cup tournaments, there was an old Wing Chun sifu who did a great martial demo with this young black dude during the masters exhibition. It was all one and two step self defense stuff, but I remember it as being pretty cool. I'd like to look him up on youtube, but I don't know the guy's name. It would have been either the first or second Eagle Cup.
    Does anybody know the name of the Sifu I'm looking for from that demo?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    Forms make a complete Chinese Martial Artist, they can increase flexibility, increase dynamic strength, teach footwork, teach basic fighting combos, increase your cardio endurance (needed for fighting).... I could go on and on... etc.
    If a form is made of the followling 3 short sentences (3 combo drills):

1. I love you.
    2. I want to marry you.
    3. I want to die for you.

You can train this way:

- 1, 2, 3 10 times, or
    - 3, 2, 1, 10 times, or
    - 1, 3, 2, 10 times or,
    - ... ,

You can also train this way:

- 1 10 times, 2 10 times, 3 10 times, or
    - 2 10 times, 3 10 times, 1 10 times, or

you will get exactly the same training result.

The last word of the 1st sentence has no logic connection to the 1st word of the 2nd sentence. Also the last word of the 2nd sentence has no logic connection to the 1st word of the 3rd sentence. To link 3 separate sentences in any pre-design sequence will make no sense at all. You should have freedom to train those 3 sentences anyway you prefer.

The important is to learn the grammer "I (subject) love (verb) you (object)" which in TCMA is combo that use one move to set up another move.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-06-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If a form is made of the followling 3 short sentences (3 combo drills):

1. I love you.
    2. I want to marry you.
    3. I want to die for you.

[...]

The last word of the 1st sentence has no logic connection to the 1st word of the 2nd sentence. Also the last word of the 2nd sentence has no logic connection to the 1st word of the 3rd sentence. To link 3 separate sentences in any pre-design sequence will make no sense at all. You should have freedom to train those 3 sentences anyway you prefer.

The important is to learn the grammer "I (subject) love (verb) you (object)" which in TCMA is combo that use one move to set up another move.
    You probably won't get in her pants if you start off with "I want to die for you", haha.

One move sets up another move, but a combo can also set up another combo.

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is."

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    You probably won't get in her pants if you start off with "I want to die for you", haha.

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is."
    Which reminds me of the joke, "Why do women smile so much on their wedding day?"

Blog Entries
    That will be an excellent form design. As far as I know, I have never seen any form that has logic connection from the 1st move to the last move. I have created a 84 moves form. I have to make it into 6 long combos (14 moves each). To create a 30 moves combo that move 1 set up move 2, move 2 set up move 3, ..., move 29 set up move 30 is extream difficult if not impossible. If you can create a form like that, your name will be famous in TCMA history.

Which reminds me of the joke, "Why do women smile so much on their wedding day?"
    All girls are the same. Your girl makes sure that you have broken all the connection with your other girls. She then dumps you.

Women are very good at that.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-06-2012 at 03:18 PM.

why????????????
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    why????????????
    Son: Dad, How expensive is to get marry?
    Father: I don't know. I'm still paying.

Son: Dad, How expensive is to get marry?
    Father: I don't know. I'm still paying.
    lol, i suppose you never get it all the way paid off, huh?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    lol, i suppose you never get it all the way paid off, huh?
    I had refinanced.

why????????????
    What the groom thinks, "I'm so happy. She gives the best bee jays."
    What the bride thinks, "I'm so happy. No more bee jays."

That will be an excellent form design.
    Forms can show individual moves made into combos. But also combos made into strategies.

So for example:

- Straight line combination attacks which change to circular attacks.

- High combination attack, changes to low combination attack, then back high, and follow with takedown.

- Multiple low line leg attack/throw combinations from the outside changes to high line striking attack down the center.

- Multiple hgh low spear attack combinations where footwork changes into running attack.

- Multiple retreating defensive spear combinations where footwork hides a trap method for turning the fight around.

Some forms teach strategies. Others may not go to this level.

I suggest you find migrant workers because you can help them and train well at the same time. Just think about it man, do you want to train to defend yourself against a punching bag or a poor migrant worker guy? Which one will fight better? If you train with other rich people, you will never learn to fight well because they are so weak.

My friend does this in Guanzhou with some of the people come to do business and tear up their passports. So cheap to rend them. They can't do anything because they don't have a passport or a hukou. They fight so good because they have no reason.