Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rooting Horse stance vs Standing Post

Rooting Horse stance vs Standing Post

for the past several years i have been practicing the internal arts,with a strong emphasis on push hands and the ,throws locks,the stand up grappling side of the art. i learned the hard way the importance of standing post training and rooting skills by entering a tournament too soon and tore ligaments in my knee. after practicing standing post for 40 minutes a day,i won my next tournament. and with countless hours of ,pushing as well as judo and shuai jiao training and sparing can continually see the benefits of standing post training and having a good root. in my opinion it is the very core of kung fu training.

anyway now i'm focusing more on shaolin ,qi gong and shuai jiao,i have switched from standing post to horse stance training. i feel i can have the same rooting skills,plus some added benefits from the slightly more rigorous training,of long periods of standing in horse stance. has anyone had any similar experience,and would like to share their ideas on the matter?

Blog Entries
    i practice my horse stance while rigorously taking a crap. it has made my rooted stance extremely stable. next, crapping in a one legged crane stance while balancing on the bowl. toilet bowl that is.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    I like to train my horse stance when my back touch the wall (I call that Chinese chair). This way I can gurantee that my spine is vertical.

IMO, the "static" rooting is important but the "dynamic" rooting is much more important. Many time I can regain my balance back when I almost fall because my "dynamic" rooting training in the past.

Single leg uphill hopping will be a good training method. Another way to train "dynamic" rooting are:

- Hold both of your hands infront of you. Jump both your legs over it. You then jump back.
    - Hold one hand on one of your foot in front of you. Jump your other foot over it. You then jump back.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-03-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    i practice my horse stance while rigorously taking a crap. it has made my rooted stance extremely stable. next, crapping in a one legged crane stance while balancing on the bowl. toilet bowl that is.
    Ties in nicely with your appreciation of banquet stage kung fu performances.

Blog Entries
    Ties in nicely with your appreciation of banquet stage kung fu performances.
    MY SIFU ON STAGE IN HIS 60'S
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxGVHkAHCvc
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 08-03-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Greetings,

hskwarior,

Your Sifu demonstrated a lot more than kung fu. That was LOVE. Fantastic!!

Re: Standing post and Horse stance training: correctly done, there is no difference.

mickey

Blog Entries
    thanks mickey. he's a forum spectator so i'm sure he'll appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I like to train my horse stance when my back touch the wall (I call that Chinese chair). This way I can gurantee that my spine is vertical.

IMO, the "static" rooting is important but the "dynamic" rooting is much more important. Many time I can regain my balance back when I almost fall because my "dynamic" rooting training in the past.

Single leg uphill hopping will be a good training method. Another way to train "dynamic" rooting are:

- Hold both of your hands infront of you. Jump both your legs over it. You then jump back.
    - Hold one hand on one of your foot in front of you. Jump your other foot over it. You then jump back.
    when my knee is better i will try those too,but i prefer static training for long periods of time.even if you are right that the dynamic training is better

too much hore stance training gives you giant thighs and tiny ass, that makes your legs imbalanced.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    for the past several years i have been practicing the internal arts,with a strong emphasis on push hands and the ,throws locks,the stand up grappling side of the art. i learned the hard way the importance of standing post training and rooting skills by entering a tournament too soon and tore ligaments in my knee. after practicing standing post for 40 minutes a day,i won my next tournament. and with countless hours of ,pushing as well as judo and shuai jiao training and sparing can continually see the benefits of standing post training and having a good root. in my opinion it is the very core of kung fu training.

anyway now i'm focusing more on shaolin ,qi gong and shuai jiao,i have switched from standing post to horse stance training. i feel i can have the same rooting skills,plus some added benefits from the slightly more rigorous training,of long periods of standing in horse stance. has anyone had any similar experience,and would like to share their ideas on the matter?
    Deep "Horse Stance" training is definitely more intense than zhan zhuang.

Zhan Zhuang will still develop a kind of static strength-endurance, but I find z.z. to be more of mind/body connection drill. Its great for "active rest", stimulating the nervous system, and as a form of mindfulness meditation.

Horse stance training is much better at developing static strength-endurance. It's also good for building one's will power. I like to use deep horse stance at the end of a workout from time to time as a finisher.

Personally, I do more zhan zhuang but horse stance training has it's place.

Train Hard,
    Josh Skinner

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    has anyone had any similar experience,and would like to share their ideas on the matter?
    My teacher severely yelled at me for doing static horse stance training.

He wanted us to train footwork and mobility, not "dead" stances.

I have heard different opinions from different teachers but my personal experience is that standing is very helpful and people who practice it as a part of their training have better roots and better body frames. I started learning kungfu by zhanzhuang but after a few years because one of my teachers didn't put much emphasis on standing I stopped training that for some time and I could clearly feel the difference. That's why I continued doing standing on my own and my problems were solved in a short time.

I do more hunyuanzhuang as it clearly helps better with building my frame and opening my kua plus it seems to be a more balanced approach however I also do deep horse stance from time to time to increase my strength and endurance. There are also some xinyi standing postures that I practice from time to time but they are harder and at this level I don't do them for too long to avoid hurting my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by donjitsu2 View Post
    Deep "Horse Stance" training is definitely more intense than zhan zhuang.
    horse stance IS zhan zhuang. high post is for sickly and elderly people. low post is for young men.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    horse stance IS zhan zhuang.
    True.

high post is for sickly and elderly people. low post is for young men.
    I know better than to argue with you sooooo:

low stance is actually more internal and gathers more qi.
    Last edited by bawang; 08-04-2012 at 05:53 PM.