Thread: Cold Moon Sword from Dragon Well

Cold Moon Sword from Dragon Well

Anybody got one? I just got it a few months ago from **** and found it pretty nice. It's a more heavy one with an unique blade design (with a spine), which is quite cool. Love that pin in the handle too that secured the tang and everything, cool sword.

My Cold Moon Sword in action
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjArK...layer_embedded

full review:
    http://www.kungfuonlineclass.com/goo...moonsword.html
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Chi in Nature - My Taoism Temple Website
    Taoist Master BLOG - my blog

My Kungfu Channel on Youtube

it's a gorgeous sword, just too bad it doesn't come sharpened.

Quote Originally Posted by LivingArt View Post
    I think you can say the same about CY Big Mac as well...

Yeeeeaaaah, we don't post about equipment form anyone outside of http://www.martialartsmart.com/ around here.

If it isn't fully endorsed by Gene Ching, it's probably crap.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by LivingArt View Post
    You can sharpen this yourself because the blade is made for that as well, Very sturdy steel.
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Quote Originally Posted by CYMac View Post
    You can sharpen this yourself because the blade is made for that as well, Very sturdy steel.
    Sturdy steel? What does that even mean? What kind of steel was used?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Sturdy steel? What does that even mean? What kind of steel was used?
    not exactly know cuz no spec, but I am guessing it's more close to some carbon steel they used. Sturdy means it is not flexible like the modern spring steel swords and it did not chip even I accidentally smack it to some hard stuff whereas the spring steel will chip and so the RC level is higher for sure, probably cuz heat treated properly as well.

What we object to is the tactless endorsement of our competitors

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    If it isn't fully endorsed by Gene Ching, it's probably crap.
    lol. Actually, that is a nice sword. We used to carry it at MartialArtsMart.com. We stopped because the quality was too inconsistent. Sometimes they would come in and be really nice. Other times, there would be flaws. I have a piece from the same forge that I acquired at Shaolin. It has the exact same fittings, but it has a snake blade (wavy). It's an extraordinary piece. We initially looked into getting those too, but they were too expensive for our market, and given the inconsistency issues, we never pursued it after the second shipment.

Just because it's Monday and I'm recovering from a weekend of way too much fun, I'm going to delete CYMac's reference to our competitors in his initial post.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by CYMac View Post
    not exactly know cuz no spec, but I am guessing it's more close to some carbon steel they used. Sturdy means it is not flexible like the modern spring steel swords and it did not chip even I accidentally smack it to some hard stuff whereas the spring steel will chip and so the RC level is higher for sure, probably cuz heat treated properly as well.
    Generally, the harder the steel, the more likely to chip. Usually if it's too soft a steel, the edge or tip will roll or ding, and virtually impossible to take an edge/sharpen. In a good blade, there is generally a balance of hardness (edge-holding) and toughness (durability). Think of a machete blade, which has a certain degree of flex to it. Machete blades are softer than most knife blades, but are more durable for rough, abusive use. If a blade hardness is too high, it's more prone to shattering.

Jim

Gene, you are a total Thug.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

That is hard to say, we have to get a RC testing kit to test the blade if you guys like then. You don't have to debate, just check it yourself, hahah! The blades around RC 48-50 are usaully quite decent for swords already. non heat treated metal are about 20-25 RC and it can be damaged using a file to file it too. But if it is about that 48 RC you can only scratch it and it won't get filed away much.

The Cold Moon Sword should be no less than RC 45 is my guess. I did not bang it on a sharp blade but the ground only. The normal dragon well crap will chip if you smack it down the concrete. this doesn't. Mine came lucky then if what Gene said was right.