Thread: Want to be an athlete by profession?

Want to be an athlete by profession?

That is to make it one's career like to participate in international tournaments or even the Olympic Games. Some say sure. Some say definitely not. So what does one will put into the training?

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Great question Steve! Life of a professional athlete or Olympic athlete is a finely double edged sword. Most of these people are extremely driven, competitive, and if all goes well rich and wrapped in glory!

There is a price...a physical one, when all the years of hard training, pushing your body beyond normal limits. The average pro football player in the USA only lives to age 55, many suffer through bad knees and head traumas. Look at those weight lifters and gymnasts, who also suffer many joint and spinal maladies for years. In fact I have an uncle who was a professional ballet dancer, who's body is now racked with constant pain and cannot stand for extended periods of time.

There is also a large emotional price, with failure or how to adapt to life outside athletics, when your short career is up...everything you have identified yourself with is gone. Who are you then? Do you live your past? Do yo have a plan for the future.

It is easy to say for those that could not make it, to deny the temptations of being a professional athlete. I used to kid myself, having played level junior college football, that I may even consider not playing pro football (even if I was good enough, which I was NOT) do to the great risks of long term physical harm. I did suffer through several concussions, pinched nerves throughout my back and neck, and wonder if it has affected me as it is.

Nothing would be more amazing than to be an Olympic Gold Medalist for your country!!!! Just watching some of these athletes stirs emotions from within.
    Last edited by Hebrew Hammer; 08-06-2012 at 08:33 AM.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Yep, the physical and psychological price one pays for being a pro athlete can be very high. He might regret it too. Hebrew, I had a first time in my life hamstrings injury in 2002. It took me nine years to be able to exercise without pain (90% recovery). I can even do sprint now. So I can be considered lucky. As I have seen it on TV documentary show that a U.S. Pro-football player who ended his athletic career in his mid-30s because of a third degree hamstring injury on his left leg. He cannot be on his feet for more than thirty minutes. It shows on the outside too - there is large trough on his left hamstring muscles as if a large chunk of flesh has been cut off.

To quote a saying from a Chinese sport coach - "Pro-sport training is like bashing a basket of eggs (athletes) against the wall. Most of the eggs will crack." So the few left intact will make it to the top. That means for every medal winner, there are many good athletes who do not get any medal, and even do not make it to the contest. In conclusion, an athlete life by profession is definitely a no no for me.

P.S. Last night, Chinese athlete Liu Xiang failed to complete the initial run in the Olympic 110m hurdle apparently because of a muscle strain reinjury. He was forced to quit the Game, and would go for surgical treatment. Sigh.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 08-08-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Very interesting discussion!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

I think there in lies the difference between our two cultures, we look for the athletes to motivate themselves, they are driven from within, they aspire to be great from an early age...where as my perception of Chinese culture is that the pressure, the expectations, the drive are external...driven by society, the family, the coaches and the State. Sure some of the 'eggs' that survive will be of strong mind and body...eventually pushing themselves to new heights.

I'm pretty sure China will win the the most medals in these summer games, because it is the will of the nation...China wants the respect that marks it as a world power in athletics, a symbolic passing of the guard, maybe the Eagle gives way to the Dragon.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

Fame has a price...

Here is a perfect example of our discussion from Lolo Jones and Olympic hurdler who finished 4th by .001 of second...her health and emotional pain. Pretty moving.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/201...-at-media.html

Hebrew, I guess you are correct in your view on the difference between our two cultures. In China, these talented athletes start climbing the ladder from city to provincial, and then to the national team. They are very much totally owned and controlled by the state. In other countries, pro-sport might have a difference scene. For example, an Europe pro-soccer player voiced out a few years ago that it is difficult for athletes not to carry injuries these days. They play too many tournaments. There is just not enough time for the body to recover. IMHO, money is a major factor behind the pro-sport culture there. Just think about the finance mechanism will tell you why. These pro-athletes get paid huge salary. So how does the sport club substain its continuity. One thing for certain is that they need to arrange their athletes to do more and more lucrative tournaments. That explains a lot. But I am not much for such phenomenum.

P.S. A commentary in the local media used a recent years popular line to be said to the leaders of China - take pause, think again. It is used when sign of big problem shows up. What the commentator said is that the China leaders need to rethink on their sport development plan in terms of the goals, priorities and retirement plan of their athletes. Not just while they are in service, but even after they retire (include forced retirement). It is terrible for retired athletes to soon find themselves jobless, homeless and future less. But such thing did happen.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 08-09-2012 at 12:56 AM.

Again it's all relative. The trick is to find an obscure sport that has low participation in your country. Learn its rules - then train harder than your local competition. You'd then at least have a shot at being the top or one of the top people in that sport.

Here's a list I've made just off of the NBC website:

Badminton
    Canoe Slalom
    Canoe Sprint
    BMX Cycling
    Handball
    Sailing
    Trampoline