Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: need advice about squats

I would recommend using a well endowed spotter in a loin cloth, you can also work your iron sphincter technique.

Seriously what Frost and Scott suggest are pretty sound, I'd even work one heavy, one light high rep day each week. I highly recommend doing deep knee lunges in addition to your squats...about 3 sets 8-12 reps each leg to start. Builds all the supporting muscles for squats and will help with that dreaded Asian disease noassatall.

Lastly I'd ask someone to check your technique...lots a simple little corrections you can make to improve your lift.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

You could decrease the weight & increase the reps. I've noticed I tend to gain more muscle with higher reps.

You could also try doing some hill sprints 2-3 days a week. It wasn't until I started doing hill sprints that my ass started getting bigger.

Though, if you're going to be walking around for 8 hours after your workout...hill sprints might not be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by donjitsu2 View Post
    You could also try doing some hill sprints 2-3 days a week. It wasn't until I started doing hill sprints that my ass started getting bigger.
    Pictures or it didn't happen.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    im thinking i need to decrease weight and increase reps. is that right?
    "人欺物(Ren Qi Wu) - you defeat weight" and never allow "物欺人(Wu Qi Ren) - weight defeats you".

"No pain no gain" and "Enjoy of doing it" are different approaches.

Try to find your "comfortable" weight is important. This way you will enjoy doing it for the rest of your life. You then increase your weight little by little. Water has to fill the hole before it can flow out.

It's not how heavy that you can lift today. It's whether you will still continue doing this when you are 80 years old that's more important. You have to fall in love with your weight. This way, you will marry to your weight and never get divoce.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-08-2012 at 01:14 PM.

i'm pretty sure he will only marry his weight if it has the yellow hairs.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I'll play the Devil's Advocate here...

How tall are you and how much do you weigh? What type of progression are you using to add weight to the bar?

If this is your first stall, then you should be able to deload by 10% and build back up. Although, you may want to do 5x5
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

im 5 foot 9 130 pounds. i dont know what progression kind i use, i just add 5 pounds a week for 6 or 7 months and took 1 month break in the middle. ive deloaded once at 175 pounds.

i can do higher than 200 with front and zercher squats, but i have giant frog thighs.

in high school i did a sh1tload of leg extensions and no squats. ive never done a single squat in my life until last year. in 07 after high school i fell into extreme poverty and went down to 100 pounds. after that i always had trouble getting bigger muscles except my giant frog thighs and chest.
    Last edited by bawang; 08-09-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

im 5 foot 9 130 pounds. i dont know what progression kind i use, i just add 5 pounds a week for 6 or 7 months and took 1 month break in the middle. ive deloaded once at 175 pounds.

i can do higher than 200 with front and zercher squats, but i have giant frog thighs.

in high school i did a sh1tload of leg extensions and no squats. ive never done a single squat in my life until last year. in 07 after high school i fell into extreme poverty and went down to 100 pounds. after that i always had trouble getting bigger muscles except my giant frog thighs and chest.
    Sorry Bawang, but you don't have giant frog thighs if you only weigh 130 pounds. I'm 5'10 and I weigh 220. At 5'9 you should weigh at LEAST 200 pounds. 130 at 5'9 is tiny.

If you start eating to gain weight you will no longer be stalled.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Also, you should consider getting on a proven program that will take care of all the thinking for you.

I recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. He's THE guy to go to for basic barbell strength training. Both of his books will be useful for years and years to come if you continue.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Sorry Bawang, but you don't have giant frog thighs if you only weigh 130 pounds. I'm 5'10 and I weigh 220. At 5'9 you should weigh at LEAST 200 pounds. 130 at 5'9 is tiny.

If you start eating to gain weight you will no longer be stalled.
    dam man you must be built like a tank. do you have any eating advice for me?

dam man you must be built like a tank. do you have any eating advice for me?
    What it comes down to is whether you care about abs and how you look in skinny jeans.

Do you want to be BIG AND TRONG, or do you want to be able to see your abzorz?

If you just wanna get big and strong, simply start drinking a half of gallon of whole milk a day on top of what you already eat. If you find that you aren't putting on any weight, add more until you're drinking up to one full gallon of whole milk a day.

It works. I went from 185 to 232 in 3 months. Granted, a lot of it was fat, but it isn't nearly as hard to cut weight as people say it is.

Do you want to be BIG AND TRONG, or do you want to be able to see your abzorz?
    TRONG

the only reason im lifting is for martial arts.
    If you just wanna get big and strong, simply start drinking a half of gallon of whole milk a day on top of what you already eat. If you find that you aren't putting on any weight, add more until you're drinking up to one full gallon of whole milk a day.

It works. I went from 185 to 232 in 3 months. Granted, a lot of it was fat, but it isn't nearly as hard to cut weight as people say it is .
    milk gives me diarrhea. will cheese work?

why should he be at least 200 lbs?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

TRONG

do you like cottage cheese?

TRONG

What about peanut butter? The idea that someone is a "hard gainer" is a myth. There are no hard gainers, just undisciplined eaters. If you eat more calories than you are burning, you WILL gain weight.

Any high calorie food will do. I'd recommend peanut butter over cheese because i'd be too afraid of being constipated, lol.

Frost can probably chime in on this too. He's a powerlifter and a BJJ guy. He'll have more experience with the martial art aspect and lifting.

Most of my training revolves around athletics these days.