Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: need advice about squats

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    how much can u squat man?
    I don't like to say how much I can squat over the interwebs because I know that I don't typically believe most people when they post their numbers.

Over 400, though.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

holy sh1t man. you are super human.

i feel smug in my college gym doing 200 full squats cuz most kids be doing smith machines and quarter squats. now i feel like tiny ant.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

holy sh1t man. you are super human.

i feel smug in my college gym doing 200 full squats cuz most kids be doing smith machines and quarter squats. now i feel like tiny ant.
    Don't be too impressed. My squat is stronger than everything else, even my deadlifts.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Firstly don’t say ass to grass, only weak people use that term as a cover for not being able to lift heavy!
    lol first time I've ever heard that.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Bawang, if you want your butt to be bigger, why not work on deadlifts for a while?

Deadlifts work my glutes way more than squats do, although this may differ for each person based on their individual proportions/genetics.

Squatting 200 @ 130 is great. Who cares if it's "only" 200. A better way to look at it is it is 1.53x your body weight. And if you're squatting full range with proper form, you're doing better than the guys who do 2x bw 1/4 squats.

A body weight squat is considered a good beginner milestone.

A 2x body weight squat is considered well into intermediate territory.

I only skimmed this thread so I'm not sure what has been said so far, but there are certain ways you can train that will increase your raw strength without gaining much size (if that's what you want). Or you can do a more bodybuilder style routine and eating program.

So Cung Le squats 300. Doesn't he weigh like 158? Don't compare yourself to him.

Not everyone is built to be a squatter, either. After like 6 years of seriously lifting weights the most I was ever able to squat was 315 x 1 at a bw of 165 or 170 or something (I have a vid of it somewhere if you want to see). But in my case, my legs don't like being strong so if I wasn't perfect with my training and stuff, my squat would go down much faster than my other lifts. On the flip side, I can pretty much always knock out 10 full range pullups even if I haven't trained in a while. But there are people who are the opposite, too, who can like warm up with 225 for 10 on squat even after a break but who would have to bust ass to do 3 pullups.

Are you good at pullups? Naturally light people usually are cuz we have less weight to move, and all else being equal, lighter people are usually stronger relative to their body weight.
    Last edited by IronFist; 08-09-2012 at 02:33 PM.

hey man thanks for your input. i got a bad back so i cant deadlift that much. you are right about the pullups though, im a pullup machine lol.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post

I only skimmed this thread so I'm not sure what has been said so far, but there are certain ways you can train that will increase your raw strength without gaining much size (if that's what you want). Or you can do a more bodybuilder style routine and eating program.
    its not that my glutes has less growth, its that it had almost zero growth. its the same size as when i was starving 100 pounds. my glutes is the only muscle that havent gotten bigger. but squat is my main focus. its just not responding to 5 reps.

but ill also take jamescs advice and eat like im a third world dictator.
    Last edited by bawang; 08-09-2012 at 03:21 PM.

hey man thanks for your input. i got a bad back so i cant deadlift that much. you are right about the pullups though, im a pullup machine lol.

its not that my glutes has less growth, its that it had almost zero growth. its the same size as when i was starving 100 pounds. my glutes is the only muscle that havent gotten bigger. but squat is my main focus. its just not responding to 5 reps.

but ill also take jamescs advice and eat like im a third world dictator.
    Could always find exercises that are specifically glute

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    Could always find exercises that are specifically glute
    i use those lady glute machines to correct my form but it didnt make my glute bigger.

ill hit the gym this sunday and increase the reps and report back to u guys. and also buy jars of mayonaise

i use those lady glute machines to correct my form but it didnt make my glute bigger.

ill hit the gym this sunday and increase the reps and report back to u guys. and also buy jars of mayonaise
    we all know you already have plenty of mayo
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Didn't mean a machine. Maybe try some leg dumbbell curls.

What's wrong with your back?

Can you do sumo style deadlift? I find that to involve my back a bit less than conventional deadlift.

when i was 13 my wushu coach made me do exaggerated punches and i twisted something in my back.i cant bend my back down too much because of that.

i never heard of sumo deadlifts before, that looks really easy on the back. thanks man im gonna try that.

can i do deadlifts and squats on the same day? or alternate them?
    Last edited by bawang; 08-09-2012 at 06:10 PM.

when i was 13 my wushu coach made me do exaggerated punches and i twisted something in my back.i cant bend my back down too much because of that.

i never heard of sumo deadlifts before, that looks really easy on the back. thanks man im gonna try that.

can i do deadlifts and squats on the same day? or alternate them?
    You can do them on the same day but if you go heavy on one it's probably best not go to heavy on the other.

It would be like doing heavy bench press and heavy flat DB press on the same day. You could, but why?

Now sometimes I will squat (LIGHT) just to warm up before deadlifts, since squatting works my quads a lot more than deadlift.

But I won't like do a hardcore squat workout and then go do deadlifts after, or vice versa.

Start light.

I just took 9 months off from the gym (injury) and when I got back I started with 2 sets of 8 with 135 pounds in sumo deadlift and my quads and glutes were sore the next few days. lol. Lower back, too, kinda. Deadlift works the lower back differently than squats, so don't over do it.

Remember to keep your abs tight when deadlifting. It will help protect your back (if that doesn't make sense or sounds counter-intuitive let me know and I can explain).

Bawang maybe you should see a doctor

May be try these, less back strain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D7Hv4L1F60

what did u do to have to take a 9 month hiatus man? dam.