Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: need advice about squats

also ironfist i wish you a speedy recovery man. it looks like we both had freak injuries lol.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    whay mang

i tink u jelly bro
    Why are you wasting all this time here? 225 ain't gonna squat itself. You don't need advice you need a portly Japanese woman to slap you in the face before you lift and then beat you mercilessly with a rattan stick when you fail.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Once again, Wenshu comes in to save the day.

No one told the guy to gain 40lbs of fat for ****'s sake. But, you don't get stronger unless you eat to get stronger. And 130lbs is tiny. He COULD stay where he is and try the whole bodybuilding diet where he gains 1lb a month and only raises his squat by 5lbs, OR he could gain some fat and get a hell of a lot stronger, and then add in conditioning if he feels like he wants to lose some bodyweight.

It isn't that complicated. I don't know what it is about guys wanting to have the abzorz at all times these days.
    I ain't saving nothing, I'm talking trash. Rippetoe's cult is nearly as bad as crossfit.

This conversation sums it up better then I ever could.

http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopi...=30950#p677130

STFU AND READ THE BOOK MOTHERFUCKER.
    Last edited by wenshu; 08-10-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: fixing the link

how much u squat

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I haven't since I started my new gig in June but before I stopped I got to singles at 295. I was ~180 at the time, ~195 now.

At 6'2" my squat has always been weak as shit while I could always just pull > 300 out of the gate.

MMA gym I train at has Olympic lifting 2x a week. I'm itching to start that up but for now boxing, wrestling and gong fu is more fun and my schedule is not very forgiving of my hobbies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    lifting heavy weights is part of traditional kung fu, bro.

didnt you ever read the water margin? li kui can squat 300 to 500 pounds.
    Li Kui was not number 1 fighter among those 108 guys. He was not very smart either.

One of my SC brothers who could lift a lot of weight. His arm muscle were so big that his hands couldn't even touch his own legs. When he walked, since his arms were curve around, his posture just like a chimpanzee. We all called him "black chimpanzee". When he wrestled, he had no skill. even a 150 lb skinny guy could throw him (he weight over 200 lb).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-10-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    One of my SC brothers who could lift a lot of weight. His arm muscle were so big that his hands couldn't even touch his own legs.

What is it with this nonsense? Unless your friend was very overweight, that wasn't the case.

"oh man my friend did some bench press one day and got so huge he couldn't even button his own shirt! Weightlifting is bad for you!!!! Big muscles make you slow and dumb!!!"

When he walked, since his arms were curve around, his posture just like a chimpanzee. We all called him "black chimpanzee". When he wrestled, he had no skill. even a 150 lb skinny guy could throw him (he weight over 200 lb).
    Holy cow, one big muscular guy didn't know how to fight THEREFORE WEIGHTLIFTING IS POINTLESS
    Last edited by IronFist; 08-10-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Why are you wasting all this time here? 225 ain't gonna squat itself. You don't need advice you need a portly Japanese woman to slap you in the face before you lift and then beat you mercilessly with a rattan stick when you fail.

I ain't saving nothing, I'm talking trash. Rippetoe's cult is nearly as bad as crossfit.

This conversation sums it up better then I ever could.

http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopi...=30950#p677130

STFU AND READ THE BOOK MOTHERFUCKER.
    Cliffs Notes on Rippetoe's cult?

If you just wanna get big and strong, simply start drinking a half of gallon of whole milk a day on top of what you already eat. If you find that you aren't putting on any weight, add more until you're drinking up to one full gallon of whole milk a day.

It works. I went from 185 to 232 in 3 months. Granted, a lot of it was fat, but it isn't nearly as hard to cut weight as people say it is.
    Because full-grown adult males shouldn't be under 200
    If I get to go home after, i'll have 6 pieces of bacon, 6 fried eggs, a glass of whole milk, and 2 pieces of toast.
    DING, DING, DING!!!!

You win the award for the worst possible nutritional advice on the internet!!!

JOHNNY, TELL BAWANG WHAT HE WILL WIN TAKING JAMESC's ADVICE!

A heaping helping of heart disease or stroke from a combination of fat and cholesterol.

6 fried eggs
    One egg yolk has about 186mg of cholesterol. A healthy person should limit their dietary cholesterol to less than 300mg per day. Six fried eggs equals 1116mg of cholesterol BEFORE you add the cholesterol received from whatever you are using to fry the eggs. You should not exceed four eggs total per WEEK!!!
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608

6 pieces of bacon
    One slice of bacon equals about one ounce. One ounce of bacon has about 30mg of cholesterol. Six slices of bacon equals about 180mg.
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/fe...a-healthy-diet

One gallon of whole milk
    One cup of whole milk has about 33mg of cholesterol. There are 16 US cups in one gallon of milk. So, there are 528mg of cholesterol in one gallon of milk.
    http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/choles...erol-milk.html

1116mg from six eggs + 180mg from six slices of bacon + 528mg from one gallon of whole milk = 1824mg of cholesterol in ONE DAY. This is more than the total amount of cholesterol one should consume in SIX DAYS.

Bawang,
    Do yourself a favor. Ask a nutritionist HOW you should, or IF you should gain added weight.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 08-10-2012 at 09:34 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Or remove the yolks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    Or remove the yolks.
    And cook the whites in a microwave rather than frying them.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Hard boiling also! Those are amazing. But yeah if you wanna get muscle get some whey protein etc and get a lot of protein daily.

Does dietary cholesterol affect blood cholesterol?

Also, whole milk is gross.

Also, Bawang can gain weight without going on the ridiculous GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) diet.

Also, bodybuilders are not known for being healthy (I'm talking about serious/advanced bodybuilders here, not recreational weight lifters).

In fact, weight lifting lowers cholesterol.
    Last edited by IronFist; 08-10-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Cliffs Notes on Rippetoe's cult?
    Crossfit. The Couch Thread. 1,200 pages of a single forum thread full of pics of sickeningly androgynous women, seriously ill advised fashion sensibilities, easily avoidable injuries and a general catalouging of crossfit assface retardedness.

That particular back and forth just happened to offer some witty insight into the cult of personality around Rip and other internet fitness gurus.

IronGarm bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    One of my SC brothers who could lift a lot of weight. His arm muscle were so big that his hands couldn't even touch his own legs. When he walked, since his arms were curve around, his posture just like a chimpanzee. We all called him "black chimpanzee". When he wrestled, he had no skill. even a 150 lb skinny guy could throw him (he weight over 200 lb).
    Did it occur to you that he just sucked at wrestling independently of his stature?

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Also, Bawang can gain weight without going on the ridiculous GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) diet.

Also, bodybuilders are not known for being healthy (I'm talking about serious/advanced bodybuilders here, not recreational weight lifters).
    Crash dieting is seriously harmful.

bawang, gain all the weight you want, nothing sexier than an Asian with junk in the trunk.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Did it occur to you that he just sucked at wrestling independently of his stature?
    The guy I'm talking about, he should spend more time on his combat skill development. He should not spend all his training time on weight training. In the throwing art, his strength could help his combat skill, but his strength was not combat skill.

If bawang is willing to spend his training time in squarts lifting, he should try to develop some combat skill at the same time. If he can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, he should consider that option.

After all, to lift a 200 lb sand bag is no difference from to squarts lift 200 lb weight. The weight training benefit is the same. The combat skill training benefit is not.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2400/singleleg.jpg

IMO,

strong > weak, but

strong guy with skill > weak guy with skill > strong guy with no skill > weak guy with no skill
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-10-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Practice some shoulder throws on a heavy bag yeah. That would be pretty good training.