Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: need advice about squats

Don't really have time to respond to everything posted. I'll come back later.

What I will say is that I only followed Rip's program until I was squatting more than bodyweight. After that I moved to a slower progression using Wendler's 5/3/1. I agree that Rip has a lot of fanboy's that border on cultists. I just like his simple, easy to follow system because it worked for me.

As for the diet, it's extreme, i'll admit that. However, if you're a skinny guy that can't seem to put on weight, adding in whole milk is a very easy way to get your extra calories. Notice I said start with a half gallon, not the full GOMAD.

Will come back later. Gonna go watch Total Recall.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Crossfit. The Couch Thread. 1,200 pages of a single forum thread full of pics of sickeningly androgynous women, seriously ill advised fashion sensibilities, easily avoidable injuries and a general catalouging of crossfit assface retardedness.
    That was sort of vague. I was hoping for some juicy details.

Rippetoe is the Starting Strength guy, right? Isn't that just a program that teaches the power lifts and/or Olympic lifts to beginners so they don't waste their time on machines and stuff? I didn't know it was a cult.

I know Crossfit has the reputation of being kind of a cult.

That particular back and forth just happened to offer some witty insight into the cult of personality around Rip and other internet fitness gurus.
    Maybe I'll read that 1,200 page thread.

IronGarm bitch.
    I remember garm from the original days of Pavel's forum. I don't remember why he started his own forum, though? Censorship on DragonDoor?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The guy I'm talking about, he should spend more time on his combat skill development. He should not spend all his training time on weight training. In the throwing art, his strength could help his combat skill, but his strength was not combat skill.

If bawang is willing to spend his training time in squarts lifting, he should try to develop some combat skill at the same time. If he can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, he should consider that option.

After all, to lift a 200 lb sand bag is no difference from to squarts lift 200 lb weight. The weight training benefit is the same. The combat skill training benefit is not.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2400/singleleg.jpg

IMO,

strong > weak, but

strong guy with skill > weak guy with skill > strong guy with no skill > weak guy with no skill
    Lifting a 200lb sandbag is different from squatting 200lbs. The only thing that is the same is the weight.

I've seen strong guys with no skill beat weak guys with skill. Your two middle examples are roughly equal. Sometimes the weak guy with skills is really good. I've been easily tapped out by a dude who was like 6' and 140 pounds and had been training for a while when I was 170lbs and had been lifting for a few years but was a noob. My thought was "crap, I need to get better!" Similarly, on another occasion I was rolling with another guy who had much more experience than me but was smaller and lighter, I was able to use my strength to prevent him from doing anything. I could muscle my way out of positions and just hold him there. His thought was probably "crap, I need to get stronger!"

Bawang, squat if you want to squat. And try those sumo style deadlifts and let me know how they work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    That was sort of vague.

STFU AND READ THE THREAD MOTHERFUCKER

Does dietary cholesterol affect blood cholesterol?

Also, whole milk is gross.

Also, Bawang can gain weight without going on the ridiculous GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) diet.

Also, bodybuilders are not known for being healthy (I'm talking about serious/advanced bodybuilders here, not recreational weight lifters).

In fact, weight lifting lowers cholesterol.
    Ironfist,

This link should answer your question:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/dise...olesterol2.htm
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 08-11-2012 at 10:17 AM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

bawang,
    Lets keep things simple ok?
    Look, if you want to get stronger, you need to lift more weight, simple.
    If you want to increase muscle size you need to lift more weight, with more reps and eat more BUT eat better and eat well.
    The rep scheme for lower body parts is some what debated BUT the truth is that you will need to find the one that works bets for you.
    The 10-12 range works well for most BUT if you have hit a wall of sorts, I have heard that doing the 20 rep squat protocol will build some serious mass on your legs ( with a good diet).
    In short ( and you do this IF you have been squatting for some time already and are NOT a beginner:
    You warm up for a few sets ( 3) as you work up to a weight that you can do for 12 reps and then you use that weight and you do 20 reps !
    You stop and breath and rest ALWAYS with the weight on you and do the reps, you may have to end up doing 1 at a time, but do all 20 !
    You may throw up and you may die, such is life my friend !
    You will not be able to walk for a bit and will walk badly for a few days so do this only once a week BUT it will work dude.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

lol first time I've ever heard that.
    Weak people squat weak numbers and use the excuse but i am going ATG.... strong people don’t use this excuse we simply powerlift

Bawang a good MMA coach laid dow the following guidelines for fighters,
    If they can squat 1.5 to 2 times body weight they are strong for a fighter, so you are doing ok, don’t over think it just squat eat and rest
    Its not as hard as people think, 7 pages of advice on the subject is waaayy too much

And if your goal is to lift and throw a 180lb man, you need to be squatting around 290 pounds as throwing is an explosive strength movement and your explosive strength maximum is usually about 6- - 70% of your one rep max

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    And if your goal is to lift and throw a 180lb man, you need to be squatting around 290 pounds as throwing is an explosive strength movement and your explosive strength maximum is usually about 6- - 70% of your one rep max
    It would also help if you didn't have 'girl' arms Bawang. Don't make me take you to the 'gun' show.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    It would also help if you didn't have 'girl' arms Bawang. Don't make me take you to the 'gun' show.
    You mean like these?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    bawang,
    Lets keep things simple ok?
    Look, if you want to get stronger, you need to lift more weight, simple.
    If you want to increase muscle size you need to lift more weight, with more reps and eat more BUT eat better and eat well.
    The rep scheme for lower body parts is some what debated BUT the truth is that you will need to find the one that works bets for you.
    The 10-12 range works well for most BUT if you have hit a wall of sorts, I have heard that doing the 20 rep squat protocol will build some serious mass on your legs ( with a good diet).
    In short ( and you do this IF you have been squatting for some time already and are NOT a beginner:
    You warm up for a few sets ( 3) as you work up to a weight that you can do for 12 reps and then you use that weight and you do 20 reps !
    You stop and breath and rest ALWAYS with the weight on you and do the reps, you may have to end up doing 1 at a time, but do all 20 !
    You may throw up and you may die, such is life my friend !
    You will not be able to walk for a bit and will walk badly for a few days so do this only once a week BUT it will work dude.
    FWIW the only thing I got from 20 rep squats was exertion headaches.
    Last edited by IronFist; 08-13-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Weak people squat weak numbers and use the excuse but i am going ATG.... strong people don’t use this excuse we simply powerlift
    Weak and going ATG is better than weak and doing 1/4 squats.

It's also better than heavy 1/4 squats.

Skinny dude squatting 225 atg > big dude squatting 405 half way down.

I've also never seen a powerlifter talk crap to a weak person using a full ROM. In fact, I've noticed exactly the opposite.

FWIW the only thing I got from 20 rep squats was exertion headaches.
    Because you are weak, like woman !!

On a serious note, I have noticed that for some, they focus too much on doing the reps one after the other as soon as they can and that can lead to what you described.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Because you are weak, like woman !!

On a serious note, I have noticed that for some, they focus too much on doing the reps one after the other as soon as they can and that can lead to what you described.
    I wasn't a fan of the program. I know other people love it.

I also wasn't a fan of German volume training.

I also wasn't a fan of Pins Into Pillars (PIP).

But then again I haven't done any of those programs in like 8 years or so, so who knows.

I wasn't a fan of the program. I know other people love it.

I also wasn't a fan of German volume training.

I also wasn't a fan of Pins Into Pillars (PIP).

But then again I haven't done any of those programs in like 8 years or so, so who knows.
    Still, you make a valid point that, one must always work with what one finds works bets for oneself and THAT is the ONLY thing that matters.