Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Demonstrations

Wing Chun Demonstrations

I've been a little preoccupied with the London 2012 Olympics and after watching the ceremonies I was thinking how many of you have done public demonstrations of Wing Chun, and how you put it all together?

Here's is our latest edit of our demo at The Martial Arts Show as we used filming of our rehearsals to piece together our four main methods of training into an entertaining format: Form, Interaction, Foundation and Sparring.

We used some original music for the final show and are looking to return next year with a bigger Troupe and different ideas. It may not look like your average Ip Man Wing Chun, but is a fair representation of what we do and how we train at The Yum Yeurng Academy.

The weaponry set was added by my kung fu brother with a few hours thrashing out ideas in my Flystudio

Enjoy

http://youtu.be/uivhImHH4hw
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

[QUOTE=LoneTiger108;1183035]I've been a little preoccupied with the London 2012 Olympics and after watching the ceremonies I was thinking how many of you have done public demonstrations of Wing Chun, and how you put it all together?

Here's is our latest edit of our demo at The Martial Arts Show as we used filming of our rehearsals to piece together our four main methods of training into an entertaining format: Form, Interaction, Foundation and Sparring.

We used some original music for the final show and are looking to return next year with a bigger Troupe and different ideas. It may not look like your average Ip Man Wing Chun, but is a fair representation of what we do and how we train at The Yum Yeurng Academy.

The weaponry set was added by my kung fu brother with a few hours thrashing out ideas in my Flystudio

Enjoy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Can you elaborate a bit? What are you doing in the demo? And- what are you trying to covey in that demo?

I very much enjoyed watching what I could of the Olympics. RE-Those sports of which I had atleast a rudimentary understanding-I was impressed by the importance of having fundamentals as second nature .UK did a great job in managing the Olympics.I passed on some things- including
    beach volleyball.

Quote Originally Posted by Jox View Post
    Your demonstration reminds me more of the theatre show and dancing,
    than combat art demonstration... I am not sure, if you really can fight in a way you performed.

But that is just my opinion...

J,

P.S.
    Do you do KIAI sound, as done in karate?
    Yeah I would say that is one of the worst demonstrations I have ever seen of any art.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Yeah I would say that is one of the worst demonstrations I have ever seen of any art.
    Ofcourse I am open to hearing your views, and why you think this is so?

Your demonstration reminds me more of the theatre show and dancing, than combat art demonstration... I am not sure, if you really can fight in a way you performed.
    Firstly, this was a rehearsal for a 10min stage slot, so I guess you could call it 'theatre' if that rocks your boat.

And why not!? Our lineage is well connected to the Canton Opera, as well as the Red Junks, as my own Sifu was a childhood performer so we have picked up his presentation habits!

Do you do KIAI sound, as done in karate?
    Is this a swipe or something? lol!

Yes, we use sound to project power, as in most other Shaolin and Southern Chinese Arts. We also use it as an indicator of changes to the set and such. At the beginning, as an example, we just had our guy shout out 'Wing Chun'. Nothing out of the ordinary, unless your Wing Chun is deadly silent to avoid being captured
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Can you elaborate a bit? What are you doing in the demo? And- what are you trying to covey in that demo?
    We presented our four key areas of training, as it states in the titling and write up.

Form - being the expression of SLT
    Interaction - being the snake & crane combination
    Foundation - being solo set practises according to literature
    Sparring - being the defense of Yum Yeurng attacking combnations

All we were looking to do was present our small Troupe and the way we do things. Then we were approached by another kung fu brother who wanted to present some double stick and knife work, so we helped him create a short set entitled Extreme Wing Chun, because that is what the guy is... Extreme! You may see that through his Chum Kiu.

This was our first time out in years, and people in the UK already know us from our time with our Sifu and the mass demonstrations we appeared in for him. Our family has a performance tinted viewpoint of Wing Chun, and this was our interpretation of that in a more thorough and realistic way than we have done before.

So, FWIW, yes we can all fight using the skills gained in practising like this, although none of us would choose to, but the content is very very basic and we purposely didn't include the familiar Chisau that everyone knows. Instead we added little sets that we coach, line by line.

All of what you see before the Extreme stuff is within the Siu Lim Tau we practise so for us it was simply a chance to show how we practise.

I was kinda hoping this thread would invite others to share their public demonstrations of Wing Chun! But it doesn't seem to have worked out that way...

Hasn't anyone got any clips of a demonstration they have done this year?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

It looks like you are having fun wich is the main thing I suppose , but seriously this looks nothing like fighting or TCMA as I know it.
    It looks like guys play acting and trying to be opera stars and performers rather than fighters.
    Tthe sparring was a joke, no power, no contact, no intent the attacks especially the non wing chun punches and takedown attempts (and I use the term very loosely) were telegraphed and horrible……it was nothing like what fighting looks like and honestly its demos like this that give TCMA a bad name

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    We presented our four key areas of training, as it states in the titling and write up.

Form - being the expression of SLT
    Interaction - being the snake & crane combination
    Foundation - being solo set practises according to literature
    Sparring - being the defense of Yum Yeurng attacking combnations

All we were looking to do was present our small Troupe and the way we do things. Then we were approached by another kung fu brother who wanted to present some double stick and knife work, so we helped him create a short set entitled Extreme Wing Chun, because that is what the guy is... Extreme! You may see that through his Chum Kiu.

This was our first time out in years, and people in the UK already know us from our time with our Sifu and the mass demonstrations we appeared in for him. Our family has a performance tinted viewpoint of Wing Chun, and this was our interpretation of that in a more thorough and realistic way than we have done before.

So, FWIW, yes we can all fight using the skills gained in practising like this, although none of us would choose to, but the content is very very basic and we purposely didn't include the familiar Chisau that everyone knows. Instead we added little sets that we coach, line by line.

All of what you see before the Extreme stuff is within the Siu Lim Tau we practise so for us it was simply a chance to show how we practise.

I was kinda hoping this thread would invite others to share their public demonstrations of Wing Chun! But it doesn't seem to have worked out that way...

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    It looks like you are having fun wich is the main thing I suppose , but seriously this looks nothing like fighting or TCMA as I know it.
    It looks like guys play acting and trying to be opera stars and performers rather than fighters.
    Tthe sparring was a joke, no power, no contact, no intent the attacks especially the non wing chun punches and takedown attempts (and I use the term very loosely) were telegraphed and horrible……it was nothing like what fighting looks like and honestly its demos like this that give TCMA a bad name

it is great that they are having fun.

different people has different ideas on fighting. that is difficult to satisfy everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

----------------------------------------
    Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    it is great that they are having fun.

different people has different ideas on fighting. that is difficult to satisfy everyone.
    true some think demoing special engines in their front room is what fighting is about

true some think demoing special engines in their front room is what fighting is about
    Why don't you share with us your real fighting clips?

(Originally Posted by Frost
    honestly its demos like this that give TCMA a bad name)

What style of tcma you do? Who is your sifu?
    May be you can share us how don't you not give tcma a bad name.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 08-14-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Why don't you share with us your real fighting clips?

(Originally Posted by Frost
    honestly its demos like this that give TCMA a bad name)

What style of tcma you do? Who is your sifu?
    May be you can share us how don't you not give tcma a bad name.
    well for starters if you are doing a demo of a fighting art, actual contact might be an idea dont you agree?

i compete in powerlifting and grappling these days, i can post clips of those if you are interested, TCMA i havent competed in over a decade so no clips of those on the net sorry
    As for the style i do, well i was a student of Jeremy Yau in the UK for a decade in his family style, now alongside my sports stuff i train CLF, bakmei and southern dragon

TCMA? Fighting? Interesting comments.

What TCMA are you versed in? When have you ever seen a TCMA fighter fight?

Firstly, this demo isn't about fighting. The Sparring 'label' we use is just more fitting than 'Interaction' as we have used that term for years and nobody seems to understand what we are talking about lol! Sparring seems to get under the skin of some.

Take my example. We interact with snake and crane characteristics, and in case you're unsure this means that the one standing still is the snake, the mobile student is the crane. The guys were expressing only three methods, namely saam sik doi chat. These included our Arrow Fist, Single Rotating Arm and Lapsau exercises. Only Lapsau is common as our rotations and arrow fist are a speciality of Grandmaster Lee Shing. In other words, if you haven't learnt from within this family you have not trained anything that you see here!

Then once they were singled out and, coining another phrase, pressure tested by myself and my training partner, they simply defended with one method each, actually using three main postures of Wing Chun called Gaansau, Quansau and Popye. The attack they demonstrate at the end of their set was theirs and theirs alone, it wasn't taught to them they found it themselves in the moment and through rehearsals.

So if this is not TCMA as you know, then you may not have been exposed to any TCMA! And FWIW on the TCMA tip, we are probably one of the families that gets criticized for be too Traditional lol!! And to make yet another point, each set you see here was brought straight from the page.

Joke? It's okay to think so.

But we have only just started and have much more to progress with and show. This was a very basic expression of what we do.

But above all, we did have some serious fun Even in this take of our rehearsals I got an accidental full right straight into and through my jaw, not that you would see it because I just got on with the show!!!

But obviously that doesn't help anyone fight does it?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

As for the style i do, well i was a student of Jeremy Yau in the UK for a decade in his family style, now alongside my sports stuff i train CLF, bakmei and southern dragon
    Interesting that you learnt from Jeremy Yau. Lau Gar?? Or just Chinese Kick Boxing student?? There is a bigger shroud of secrecy behind this man than my own Sigung!

Tell me, how do you train a single set from CLF or Bakmei for combat? What have you been shown? More to the point, have you done any recent demos yourself?

I have seen some excellent practitioners, and some really bad ones, so it would be good to get an angle of where you are coming from.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

well for starters if you are doing a demo of a fighting art, actual contact might be an idea dont you agree?

i compete in powerlifting and grappling these days, i can post clips of those if you are interested, TCMA i havent competed in over a decade so no clips of those on the net sorry

Thanks!

Is it Jeremy yau of Lau gar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgwpVzmlsvg

Sure, share your clip on powelifting and grappling.