Thread: 2 Shaolin Shaohu Gun sets ?

2 Shaolin Shaohu Gun sets ?

First one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9agudhsIu0&feature=plcp

Second:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LW4v7eDBIE

Bot a very different. I remember the first one done by Shi Yongwen on one of his short vids. Bot are very Traditional but why they are named the same ?

Kind regards,
    Xian

Haha I'd love to see them try those moves out at a Dog Brothers meet

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Haha I'd love to see them try those moves out at a Dog Brothers meet
    Well both Phillipines(Kali,Silat) and China have long fighting traditions. For a longer time in history Shaolin Temple even had a fighting unit who were prepared to participate in battle. Also Shaolin Temple had absorbed a lot of Millitary Martial Arts from China.

So yes its one thing to speculate if some of the todays "Shaolin Monks" can fight and another thing to believe that no Chinese Martial Arts Practitioner has ever done something reality based and functional in reallty based combat.

Kind regards,
    Xian

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    Well both Phillipines(Kali,Silat) and China have long fighting traditions. For a longer time in history Shaolin Temple even had a fighting unit who were prepared to participate in battle. Also Shaolin Temple had absorbed a lot of Millitary Martial Arts from China.
    Fighting traditions yes, but I am concerned with the present moreso than the past. It's all wonderful for folks to fall back on the "our martial art was used for hundresof years" bit. It's another for them to put their money where their mouths are.

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    So yes its one thing to speculate if some of the todays "Shaolin Monks" can fight and another thing to believe that no Chinese Martial Arts Practitioner has ever done something reality based and functional in reallty based combat.
    I'm not saying no CMA practitioner ever. I'm questioning whenther the moves in that set could be applied under pressure against an armed, resistant, and trained opponent.

My understanding is that Shaohuo Gun can be the name of the set, but it is also the name of the weapon. That is a slightly shorter than normal staff, about armpit length.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I'm not saying no CMA practitioner ever. I'm questioning whenther the moves in that set could be applied under pressure against an armed, resistant, and trained opponent.
    Bacon, since you seem be new to traditional Chinese martial arts, you have to know that in taolu performances, especially with weapons, a good portion are there for a demonstration of coordination rather than actual fighting techniques.

Secondly, since the actual fighting techniques were not demonstrated in the videos provided, how can we judge the fighting efficacy?

Finally, are you a Dog Brother or have you ever been to meeting?

Incorrect. taolu were created to pass down techniques in a mnemonic manner to preserve a set of moves so they would not be lost. Just because someone does a form without martial intent, does not mean the techniques are useless, only that they aren't being demonstrated properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Paximus View Post
    Incorrect. taolu were created to pass down techniques in a mnemonic manner to preserve a set of moves so they would not be lost. Just because someone does a form without martial intent, does not mean the techniques are useless, only that they aren't being demonstrated properly.
    Having studied the set from two different people, I can tell you for a fact that there are several moves that are in there that are not a part of stick fighting technique, but rather there for coordination and performance. This extends as well to many other traditional taolu. Nothing really wrong with it, just telling you like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Having studied the set from two different people, I can tell you for a fact that there are several moves that are in there that are not a part of stick fighting technique, but rather there for coordination and performance. This extends as well to many other traditional taolu. Nothing really wrong with it, just telling you like it is.
    One problem though. You practice the way you play or in more scientific terms the neural pathways used for muscular activation in a coordinated movement will be strengthened by repetition of that movement. If you want to improve your ability to fight you practice the fighting techniques over and over to strengthen those neural connections.

Bacon, I think you've got things confused. You are describing strictly stick fighting. What is shown in the video is a traditional performance. Are you the guy who shows up to ballet class to tell them they need work on their jazz step?

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Bacon, I think you've got things confused. You are describing strictly stick fighting. What is shown in the video is a traditional performance. Are you the guy who shows up to ballet class to tell them they need work on their jazz step?
    No actually. I'm the kind of guy who says that martial arts is about training to attain combative supremacy. The only performance a martial artist need be performed with is combative performance. This is exactly why wushu is not martial arts it is dance with martial origins and that is exactly why I was asking how much of this form could realistically be applied.