Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Conditioning

Wing Chun Conditioning

Hello all, I am very interested in studying Wing Chun but at the moment I live in central Wyoming and the closest Wing Chun School is 4 hours away in Boulder Colorado. I have picked up a couple of books on SLT and have been working on the form off and on for some months, but really want to get myself into proper shape for a time in which I hope to live near a Wing Chun school. As such I wanted to get in touch with this community about potential workouts to supplement my lone wolf SLT training until I can get into a proper class.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Samwise85 View Post
    Hello all, I am very interested in studying Wing Chun but at the moment I live in central Wyoming and the closest Wing Chun School is 4 hours away in Boulder Colorado. I have picked up a couple of books on SLT and have been working on the form off and on for some months, but really want to get myself into proper shape for a time in which I hope to live near a Wing Chun school. As such I wanted to get in touch with this community about potential workouts to supplement my lone wolf SLT training until I can get into a proper class.

Thanks for the help!
    Jog, gym and some stretching

Youll be in better shape than 90% of the WC guys out there

Try doing some HIIT training to build your cardio.
    Also work on pushups paying particular attention to diamond pushups. It will help facilitate neuromuscular connections you will make use of during your wing chun training when you apply power down the center line.
    Squats are a must. Strong legs are necessary and at my kwoon we stand and do siu lim tao very slowly and it's murderous to the legs.
    Pull-ups and chin ups are great as well if you have a place to do them.

If you can find and afford a gym membership you may wish to start a program like Stronglifts or 5x5 to build some basic strength.

Also with regard to training the form... STOP! It's far easier for them to teach you the right way than it is to try to fix the neural connections which have already been made. Stop strengthening those connections and focus on physical conditioning until you get there.

I’ll walk four miles a day within a Kentucky wooden area (with my two pit bulls), and man it’s a lot of hills very steep ones as well (legs and core), I’ve had friends/students that couldn’t make that hike half way through that’s a lot younger than myself. Power walking is less stressful than anything I’ve ever done for cardio.

And that’s a great thing to do for people my age.

Thanks for the help!

Do Yik kam transform , it wil give you a good wck foundation . You can learn YKT on your own before go to a proper class.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 08-15-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Try to figure out how to develop your Gong, and you will have a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Do Yik kam transform , it wil give you a good wck foundation . You can learn YKT on your own before go to a proper class.
    Samwise,
    Do not follow this advice .

You are doing and will do better for yourself doing what you are doing. You may also want to try other social media and see if there are any individuals in your area with a background in WC.

Heck post in this and other forums asking if anyone near you plays WC. You may have a neighbor with a dummy in their garage, who knows.
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

Blog Entries
    I am very interested in studying Wing Chun ...
    - Get a coconut.
    - Drill 2 holes on both ends.
    - Tie 2 ropes on those holes.
    - Tie both ropes on 2 trees.

Try to chass and hit that "bouncing coconut between trees" for the next 12 months (3 years will be even better). This training can develop your:

- accuracy on your punch.
    - hand toughness during contact (you can't get this from commercial punching ball).
    - speed in continue punches.
    - fast footwork.
    - endurance.

After 12 months of training on this, if you spar with any of your training partners, your partner will experience your "chain punches" even if you have not started your formal WC training yet.

Your time invested in this training will be rewarded nicely. With this kind of skill, your future will have no limitation. You will "transform" yourself into a "headhunter".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-15-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks so much for the tips! I'm hoping to make it to classes one or twice a month in Boulder once I go back to school (from which its only a two hour drive, a bit more manageable). I'm really excited to actually get involved in classes and start learning more of this fascinating martial art.

Thanks so much for the tips! I'm hoping to make it to classes one or twice a month in Boulder once I go back to school (from which its only a two hour drive, a bit more manageable). I'm really excited to actually get involved in classes and start learning more of this fascinating martial art.
    Seriously, do the YKT drills for 28 mins everyday. It is very simple and fool proof.
    You will develop good foundation for both health and martil art.

Class one or twice a month are great but you need to develop your body everyday.

Thanks for the help!
    First off welcome to the forum!

Post your video clip of the Siu Lim Tau you are practising here and ask for constructive feedback.

Then weed out the information that makes sense and be prepared to toughen up when you read crticisms that are simply rude and unhelpful!

I know a few people who offer online tuition and feedback via Skype and such things, which IMHO is far far better than trying to learn a very precise form through a set of photographs. Out of interest, which book are you using as a reference?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Jogging and basic lifting at the gym will serve you well as others have said. Start stretching the hamstrings and groin. To really get in incredible WC/Striking shape, you need to go through training to know the sports-specific movements. Yea... you could start hitting bags and such, but it's better if you have someone qualified to show you.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 08-17-2012 at 03:40 AM.

Thanks for the help!
    IMHO it depends what you want your wing chun for. Many on here have trained other arts or mix and match with boxing etc and therefore do workouts based on jogging and skipping combined with weight lifting. If you want to fight in a ring or cage, or engage in prolonged sparring then these are an absolute must (and they're great for general fitness)
    If you want your Wing Chun for street self defence however being able to jog and skip won't do much for you. Street fights are more like the 100m than the 10km, you need to train high intensity short bursts. Street fights don't have 5 minute rounds like cage fights most don't get past the first 30 seconds. Once you've learned proper form you can build routines from your Wing Chun but until then you might want to base your stuff around explosive plyometrics.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Then weed out the information that makes sense and be prepared to toughen up when you read crticisms that are simply rude and unhelpful!
    There are also ones that aren't rude but still unhelpful..........................yours for instance....................nice guy but Benny Hill Wing Chun!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    ....................nice guy but Benny Hill Wing Chun!
    Benny Hill did Wing Chun????

So was that Pak Sao on the poor little fellows head???
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"