Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wing Chun Conditioning

Benny Hill and these guys WU SAO !
    Last edited by k gledhill; 02-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    There are also ones that aren't rude but still unhelpful..........................yours for instance....................nice guy but Benny Hill Wing Chun!
    Oh! So original... I guess I wouldn't complain if I was surrounded by his girls and chased round parks, but unfortunately this doesn't happen to the Wing Chun performer.

We can't even demand a 'fee' for appearing on an international stage lol! All done for the love of it, so why not show us your most recent demo or Wing Chun promotion?

Or offer some more of your own invaluable advice...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I guess I wouldn't complain if I was surrounded by his girls and chased round parks, but unfortunately this doesn't happen to the Wing Chun performer.
    you speak for yourself, my son.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Just concentrate on basic fitness. IMO there is no such thing as "Wing Chun fitness".

Indeed in my experience very few WC schools really require or promote a high level of strength or cardio.

If you really want to be more specific in your training, train like a boxer.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

For what it's worth, I would certainly echo the statements about avoiding any particular Wing Chun specific activity, such as forms etc, until you have been shown properly. The forms are so much more than a sequence of movements.

Even standing in the Kim Yeung Ma for periods of time is worth waiting until a qualified instructor can show how to to settle into the stance properly otherwise you risk training in bad-habits.

Once you've been shown things like punching drills, standing and movement drills, you can then train them in your own time to complement the partner training you'll do in class.

For general fitness, any generic cardio or strength training will be of benefit but one aspect which is rarely trained (because it's hard) is that of explosive speed/strength. For example, one training method I use is to alternate all out sprints followed by a light recovery jog. I use a football or rugby pitch but any patch of ground is fine. Sprint as fast as you can along the short end, jog or walk the long one as recovery and repeat. In time, sprint the long end and recover on the short.

Same thing for strength exercises - explosive clap pressups will do more for you than normal pressups.

Once you been shown basic striking techniques, try getting a partner to hold a large striking shield and just go all-out on it for 30 seconds. You'll soon see how tiring this is. Then get the partner to move towards you, try to flank you or move away from you. The key is to keep the intense pace of the attacks for as long as you can.

Any martial art is not a game of top trumps (I have Wing Chun which beats your Taekwondo etc although you do see this kind of attitude). The art will require sustained effort from you (kung fu) to learn and master. Physical training is an aspect of this.

Also, where Wing Chun differs from certain styles is that it is not a sports combat art. In sports combat, the stylists will have timed bouts, rules and weight categories. Self defence arts do not. A self defence situation will be very fast and could be against an opponent who is a lot bigger.

But then again, it depends on what you want to learn Wing Chun for. Answer that question and you'll know what kind of training you need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Indeed in my experience very few WC schools really require or promote a high level of strength or cardio.
    If there is one thing that I have learned on these boards is that I have less of an idea what other kung fu school do than I thought.

When I was coming up, there was no formal fitness program at the school, but no one ever got promoted unless they got themselves in shape. We were taught to stretch and talked about fitness, but if class started at 8 pm you were expected to get yourself there early to conduct your warmups and stretches. And as I said, anyone who was in consideration for promotion usually ran a few miles several times per week. This isn't the case everywhere?

I've moved around the UK quite a lot with my job so have been to a fair few different Wing Chun schools from differing lineages and not a single one has ever done any kind of physical training beyond the drills, forms and partner work.

A taijiquan school I went to actually had quite an intensive combat warm up and that was the first time I'd seen that in a Chinese martial arts school.

The reasons behind it, I believe, is that the student is expected to train in their own time and not waste valuable club time doing circuit training and that may work for some people... from a commercial POV, if someone is paying £50 a month to learn Wing Chun - they don't necessarily want to do generic physical activity even though it's impossible to separate the two.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Just concentrate on basic fitness. IMO there is no such thing as "Wing Chun fitness".

And you speak only for yourself to little padwan
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

One could always visit Master Wong on Utube and learn a bit from him. I think he can pretty much cover anything and everything. It might not be the prefect situation, but it is certainly better than nothing. Besides, it is free for the taking.
    As for conditioning, all one needs is physical fitness. The same daily fitness programs as they have in junior and highschool. Stretching, calithentics sp? , pushups and situps and the likes. I have myself a total gym like Chuck Norris uses and I swear by it. You don't have to be all buffed up to be able to do Wing Chun effectively. That is only one of the major aspects of this system. However, it always helps to be in good shape when you need it.
    Jackie Lee

@ Lone Tiger: I have been using Grandmaster Ip Chun and Master Michael Tse's book on Wing Chun as well as Sifu John Ryan Wahnish's book Foundations of Wing Chun Kung Fu.

Most of what I've been focused on is the first section of SLT, which Masters Ip and Tse refer to as the Gong Lik section. I haven't been practicing it lately because of the difficulty of learning from books and the concern raised here about builidng bad habits. Again, I appreciate all of the help from everyone here.

Quote Originally Posted by Samwise85 View Post
    I haven't been practicing it lately because of the difficulty of learning from books and the concern raised here about builidng bad habits.
    There is nothing wrong with learning WITH a book - books can help to explain theory, give differeing perspectives etc. As you say, the difficulty is in learning a physical skill from a non-physical media. Use the books to assist you in your development but they must always be used in conjunction with physical instruction.

A good book which explains a lot of Wing Chun theory in a no-nonsense way is "Simply... Wing Chun Kung Fu" by Shaun Rawcliffe. He is an Ip Chun man (in fact you'll see him as a demo partner in Ip Chun's books) so there will be quite a lot of similarity with what you are studying now. It would be most useful if you could find a book which is in line with the lineage of the school you intend to attend - I'm sure the Sifu there would be able to recommend something suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    One could always visit Master Wong on Utube and learn a bit from him. I think he can pretty much cover anything and everything. It might not be the prefect situation, but it is certainly better than nothing. Besides, it is free for the taking.
    As for conditioning, all one needs is physical fitness. The same daily fitness programs as they have in junior and highschool. Stretching, calithentics sp? , pushups and situps and the likes. I have myself a total gym like Chuck Norris uses and I swear by it. You don't have to be all buffed up to be able to do Wing Chun effectively. That is only one of the major aspects of this system. However, it always helps to be in good shape when you need it.
    PMSL, got to be the funniest post ever brought tears to my eyes.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

@ Lone Tiger: I have been using Grandmaster Ip Chun and Master Michael Tse's book on Wing Chun as well as Sifu John Ryan Wahnish's book Foundations of Wing Chun Kung Fu.
    I'm quite familiar with the Ip Chun/Michael Tse partnership but not so much John Ryans work.

Most of what I've been focused on is the first section of SLT, which Masters Ip and Tse refer to as the Gong Lik section. I haven't been practicing it lately because of the difficulty of learning from books and the concern raised here about builidng bad habits. Again, I appreciate all of the help from everyone here.
    What about online sources, I mean you must be trying to 'see' how the set moves right? And forgive the vast amount of expressions this set has throughout the extended Wing Chun family! if you are just beginning this must be a daunting task

http://www.youtube.com/user/TseQigon...ure=CAMQwRs%3D
    Michael Tses Youtube channel has quite a few clips and he is known more for his Taichi than his Wing Chun in all honesty. As someone else has mentioned, Shaun Rawcliffe was Ip Chuns number one for many many years, and his written works are worth a look too.

But get some feedback from Sifus too!! Share what you're doing privately or publically and I'm sure people who are genuine will try and help you out.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

What about online sources, I mean you must be trying to 'see' how the set moves right? And forgive the vast amount of expressions this set has throughout the extended Wing Chun family! if you are just beginning this must be a daunting task
    I have been looking for video to supplement the books so I can get a better idea of how the forms are supposed to look, but it is definitely tough to get the nuances just right without a Sifu there to actually correct it. That being said I do feel like I have a good grasp of the basic theory of Ip Man Wing Chun and did enjoy working on the first section of SLT when I was doing it. I'm hoping to be able to at least sit in on a class here in the next couple of weeks which is really exciting.

Studying basic drills like punches and kicks one can do on their own. But doing SLT or any form from a book is going to be **** near impossible if you have never trained WC before. Also Doing it from a video will give you a basic structure...but you need someone else to critique you so you can see your flaws...Because sometime we missed something when we first see it.

As for getting in shape...Most WC doesn't train you to get in shape...Most Wc just trains skill, muscle memory and senstitivity...

What i would suggest is regular routine of the following

-running a mile a five days a week Minium
    -pull ups and push ups and sit ups
    -wall bag punches
    -heavy bag kicks and punches
    -jumping rope
    -Learning WC Kung conditioning for a specific WC Kwoon your interesting in...But you may need a teacher...

To supplement strenght training i suggest the following

-wrist rollers
    -bench press
    -body weight exercises

to name a few!

-
    Hello all, I am very interested in studying Wing Chun but at the moment I live in central Wyoming and the closest Wing Chun School is 4 hours away in Boulder Colorado. I have picked up a couple of books on SLT and have been working on the form off and on for some months, but really want to get myself into proper shape for a time in which I hope to live near a Wing Chun school. As such I wanted to get in touch with this community about potential workouts to supplement my lone wolf SLT training until I can get into a proper class.

Thanks for the help!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"