Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Hypothetical Face of Kung Fu To The World

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    Shaolin. But I'm biased.
    Pre wushu Shaolin, or post wushu era Shaolin?

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    If Bruce Lee had never happened and Wing Chun and Jeet Kune Do had never become such popular martial arts, what system of gong fu do you think should represent gong fu to the world?

boxer rebellion plum flower boxing + authentic demon posssesion rituals and catholic nun burning

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,...It was the '70's that posed the question as to whether Karate was better that Chinese martial arts. And a few came forward to represent: Hui Cambrelen, Tayari Casel, and Paul Vizzio. They did represent well. Yet it would take few losses for more of the the real stuff to be shared by the Chinese...mickey
    Wow! Great comments! Who did Hui and these guys fight from the karate world? And what do you mean by "Yet it would take few losses for more of the the real stuff to be shared by the Chinese"? What more of the "real stuff" ended up being shared by the Chinese?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    ahh..you said which system of Gung-Fu SHOULD represent to the wrold. I thought you meant which system WOULD represent to the world.
    So, what you are asking is, what do we think is the best representation of TCMA in its purity?
    I think that would be Hung-Kuen and Jook Lum mantis.....and some Shuai Jiao thrown in..(haha I said, "thrown!")
    but I'm just a wee tad biased...
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    ahh..you said which system of Gung-Fu SHOULD represent to the wrold. I thought you meant which system WOULD represent to the world.
    So, what you are asking is, what do we think is the best representation of TCMA in its purity?
    I think that would be Hung-Kuen and Jook Lum mantis.....and some Shuai Jiao thrown in..(haha I said, "thrown!")
    but I'm just a wee tad biased...
    you guys stroke an invisible beard and hop around on an invisible pony and you wanna represent kung fu?

SHAMEFUL DISPLAY

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    you guys stroke an invisible beard and hop around on an invisible pony and you wanna represent kung fu?

SHAMEFUL DISPLAY
    dude, I'm channeling!
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Greetings,

For Faruq:

Hui Cambrelen: He would take on ANYBODY. He is a true urban legend. His fights were mostly underground. The top student of Grandmaster Wai Hong.

Tayari Casel: Fought successfully in the Karate circuit on the East Coast. Known for his groundfighting. Student of Master George Hu Ling

Paul Vizzio: Fought underground fights as well as in the PKA. In the latter he showed the effectiveness of Chinese style kicking. Another high ranking student of Grandmaster Wai Hong.

In terms of losses, that is what it would take for more to be taught. If you would look at Mainland China's approach to the current MA scene, they are looking at it and studying it with the goal of becoming NUMBER ONE. The effectiveness of Kung fu vs Karate was a major question here in NYC back then because street effectiveness was needed and because of the economics of it. The already established Karate Schools would lose money if the public saw the CMA as superior. Case in point: Tayari Casel participated in a Karate vs Kung Fu events at Aaron Banks' Oriental World of Self Defense. Banks tried his best to stack the odds against Tayari Casel. He did not put a straight up Karate guy against Casel. He had him go against "Little" John Davis, a Vee- Jitsu practitioner. They fought three rounds. Though Casel lost by only one point, those who witnessed it though it was the best match they had seen in their life. I had the opportunity to see the first round and the decision on ABC's Wide World of Sports. At the decision time Casel looked incredibly composed and was hardly sweating. Little John Davis looked as if he spent three days in Hell. He was drenched in sweat. And when he was given the win, his face looked as if he knew otherwise.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 08-18-2012 at 06:14 AM.

let's also not forget the match between Tayari Casel and Benny "The Jet" Urquidez, another "stacked" fight.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Greetings TenTigers,

I never saw that fight. I do remember reading a response from Tayari Casel about the fight in Official Karate. Apparently, he was told that he was allowed to use groundfighting before the match only to find that the match was stopped every time he went to the ground and was told to get up. So he could not fight his fight.

mickey

Pre wushu Shaolin, or post wushu era Shaolin?
    Pre. I've worked hard to learn and stick to not only the classic sets but to perform them the classic way. It's taken a long time and a lot of research and the work still seems to never be done.

Smile My 2Cents on China Fighting Arts.

Greetings Family. To: Faruq and Mickey, China has Two Faces at All times;One Private,One Public. In My travels to China and Asia;I noticed that Family and Weatlh come First;Not Chinese Martial arts. A full Rice Bowl is the goal,that being said Fighters such as Hui, Tayari, Paul All had to work jobs and train kung-fu.When you do not have worry about food,clothing,housing,money;a person can train,study,and eat the proper foods to be Number one.Also,Its Others such as Sifu's Nganga Tolonaa of Chicago,Carl Albright, Raymond Fogg, Twa-ku of the Egyptian fighting arts society in chicago who have displayed Great groundfighting skills throughout the early years. In addition, We can not win fights,using MMA rules. The Art of Shuai Chiao as taught by Great Master Chang Tung Sheng is a Counter to MMA Fights. The Goal is Full-Time Fighters and Trainers. Be Well.NM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    boxer rebellion plum flower boxing + authentic demon posssesion rituals and catholic nun burning
    That is the power of my plum flower fist, we unsuccessfully drove the christian devils out of china and we can do it again! Besides, how many styles have a cart that can be broken down into weapons?
    Although the changes are infinite, the principles are the same.
    - Wang Tsung Yueh

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
    - Sun Tzu

Boards don't hit back.
    - Bruce Lee

Blog Entries
    what system of gong fu do you think should represent gong fu to the world?
    I like to look at TCMA from the angle of speed, power, throw, and lock. IMO, the

- prey mantis, Zimen can represent the speed generation,
    - Baji, Chen Taiji, XYLH can represent the power generation,
    - SC can represent the throwing art,
    - eagle claw, longfist can represent the locking art,

for the TCMA.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-18-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

For Faruq:

Hui Cambrelen: He would take on ANYBODY. He is a true urban legend. His fights were mostly underground. The top student of Grandmaster Wai Hong.

Tayari Casel: Fought successfully in the Karate circuit on the East Coast. Known for his groundfighting. Student of Master George Hu Ling

Paul Vizzio: Fought underground fights as well as in the PKA. In the latter he showed the effectiveness of Chinese style kicking. Another high ranking student of Grandmaster Wai Hong.
    mickey
    Thanks, Mickey. I only know who Hui Cambrelen is from seeing an old 70s documentary called "the Warrior Within" if I'm not mistaken. It inteviewed a young Hui who told of walking through NYC's Chinatown and being attacked one day and having stabbed his attacker in the eye with 2 chop sticks. I wish there was some kind of blog or book (like Piri Thomas' "Down These Mean Streets") that told the full story of Hui's urban legend. Isn't he in Puerto Rico now? And Tak Wah Eng is another of Wai Hong's guys isn't he? I don't know much else about him other than having watched his ESPY-TV iron palm tape. Anyway, very interesting what you say about all of the guys you mention. I wish there were more information about all of their exploits. Thanks again.

Chuck Norris.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.