Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight training for TCMA

Blog Entries

Weight training for TCMA

I like to keep this thread in the "Kung Fu Forum" session, because I'm only interesting in weight training for TCMA (not general weight training or body building).

Today when I worked out in the gym, I started to examine every single weight training that I did.

- Did my body start from relaxation all the time? This will require the weight to be dropped.
    - Did I follow the TCMA training guideline that my speed should be a belt curve instead of constant or linear? This will restrict the maximum weight that I use.

I then looked around and observe others. I found out that most people did their weight training in constant speed.

- How do you prevent muscle pulling by using extream weight (such as 200 lb) with fast bell curve speed and acceslation?
    - If you have developed constant speed weight training habit, will it contradict to your TCMA training goal that everything suppose to be explosive?

What's your thought? Do you even care about this level of detail at all?

Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-15-2012 at 08:34 PM.

I do weights for strength training.

I do other stuff for training speed, explosiveness, and mobility.

No need to try to make one exercise accomplish all things.

i used to refuse lifting weights because i thought traditional kung fu doesnt lift weights.
    when i found out that traditional kung fu actually lifted a lot of weights i began lifting the next day without hesitation.

lifting or not lifting weights is unimporant to me. what matters is traditional kung fu.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Weight training for matrial arts is pretty easy. Build power and some explosiveness by working the big compound movements with progressively heavier weights: bench press, deadlift, overheadpress, barbell rows, clean and jerk, and squats
    From there you have a base to move on to more plyometric exercises like woodcutting or tire and sledgehammer, rope climbing, shotput training, medicine ball tossing, and any numbers of others.

As long as you've include cardio and stretching you'll be on fit, strong, and explosive individual.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    I do weights for strength training.

I do other stuff for training speed, explosiveness, and mobility.

No need to try to make one exercise accomplish all things.
    I do the same thing. Personally I stick to Powerlifting and Olympic lifts for strength training. For speed, quickness and agility I do track and field training drills (a lot of the same drills you'd see NFL receivers and backs do). And then there's all of the martial arts training.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    I do the same thing. Personally I stick to Powerlifting and Olympic lifts for strength training. For speed, quickness and agility I do track and field training drills (a lot of the
    hoe much u squat bro

Doesn't matter. I'm not trying to become the next world strong man. I fight at welter weight (170lbs) and my opponents are going to come in between 180-190lbs on fight night after weigh ins. So it doesn't matter how much I can lift one time, it's how many times can I lift 200lbs on average?

but black whirlwind can squat 500 lb

dont u wanna be like black whirlwind

I work my strength training into circuits. That's because its only worth having the strength if you can use it even when you're gassed. For example, try running stairs and after each set throw in some push ups, dips or presses. Your blood rushes to your arms, when your legs are screaming for it. This is the same kind of thing your body goes through when fighting.

Greetings,

For my own understanding, YouKnowWho:

Graph 1: Resistance bands or Nautilus equipment?

Graph 2: Free Weights?

Graph 3: A Resisting Opponent? Should be a little jagged.

As I mature, I find that resistance training becomes increasingly important. The purpose would be for the maintenance of strength.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    but black whirlwind can squat 500 lb

dont u wanna be like black whirlwind
    Is Black Whirlwind someone that blogs here? I've never heard of him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    I work my strength training into circuits. That's because its only worth having the strength if you can use it even when you're gassed. For example, try running stairs and after each set throw in some push ups, dips or presses. Your blood rushes to your arms, when your legs are screaming for it. This is the same kind of thing your body goes through when fighting.
    then its not strength training its conditioning, and without a good strength base first this type of thing is worthless

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    Doesn't matter. I'm not trying to become the next world strong man. I fight at welter weight (170lbs) and my opponents are going to come in between 180-190lbs on fight night after weigh ins. So it doesn't matter how much I can lift one time, it's how many times can I lift 200lbs on average?
    actually the higher your one rep max, the more you can do reps with a lower weight,
    athlete 1 can max squat 250 pounds for him 190 would be 75% iof his max,
    athlete 2 can squat 400 pounds 190 would be less than 50%... which of the above do you think will be lifting 190 for more reps?

My normal MA routine keeps me pretty cut, so the lifting is more supplemental. I like to do the bench press because who doesn't want a good set of pecs? And then I do bent over dumbbell row
    with as heavy as a weight as I can manage. I find that I need a lot of pull for Judo and Jiu Jitsu to set up throws and submissions and this seems to be a good exercise for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    then its not strength training its conditioning, and without a good strength base first this type of thing is worthless
    So exercises like push ups, dips and overhead presses aren't strength training? (Can't wait to hear the response to this one)

EO