Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight training for TCMA

Intervals at the end of 6 or 10 miles is good. You're already tired, then you totally kick your own ass some more, to the point that breathing hurts.

Forces you to really relax the legwork, and gives you really good gains on anaerobic capacity, which is good for sparring.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    hes jealous of your giant muscular buttocks and thighs, and ashamed of his ironing board backside, straight up straight down.

if i put my penus inside, i no know if its man or womans.
    So are you coming out to the kung fu forum as a bisexual? You know, there might be a better place to do that, but thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    So are you coming out to the kung fu forum as a bisexual? You know, there might be a better place to do that, but thanks for sharing.
    its not gay if a black man do the sex to a white man. it is retribution for 400 years of slavery and oppression.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    You can cut out 1 running day and 1 gym day.
    That's a good idea. I may run 5 or 6 miles twice a week instead of 4 miles 3 times a week. I do have to go to gym 3 times a week because my wife want to lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    I just reread your running info. You don't need 2 hours to do 4 miles.
    I don't. After running will be my serious stretching time. I will do my static stretching first. I then do my dynamic stretching (inside crescent, outside crescent, swing leg forward up, swing leg backward up, ...). I'll then finish with 4 punching drills and 4 kicking drills. Running is the best way to warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    why so much running? you practice running away?
    I believe if I can run faster than my opponent, even the best striker in the world won't be able to hit me. I had out run a motocycle chassing with a guy holding a Samurai sword on the back seat when I was young. I had faith in my running since then. That's one ability I will never give up in my old age.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-19-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    First off, stop making assumptions, especially about me, to suit your argument. It's obnoxious. Second, steroids are illegal and tested. Even ephedrine is banned. Thanks for the advice about staying alert, because I certainly needed military hints and tips *sarcasm*.

I know a lot of people, including senior officers, who conduct crossfit daily, and swear by it. These guys are in amazing shape, something I CAN'T say about the TCMA community, and always score ridiculously high on the APFT. End of story.

Knock off the ad hominem attacks. It's childish.
    What did the cooks make you for dinner today, drake?

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    What did the cooks make you for dinner today, drake?
    WTF are you talking about? Stay on topic. Are you drunk or something?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Steroids are not tested for in the Military upon a commander's request NOT as a matter of course. They can be tested for, but usually aren't. I live two blocks from a military base. They aren't testing anybody who keeps their head down and does their job.

ad hominem attacks?? LOL I paraphrase, but didn't you just call us a bunch of beer belly kung fu instructors?

Don't get mad at me. I am just repeating back what you say in a succinct way to show you that it makes no sense.
    No, you put words in my mouth and altered my meaning. And yes, obesity is a problem in TCMA, especially with instructors.

You live two blocks from a military base. I've been in for 13 years. Who do you think is right here?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    That's a good idea. I may run 5 or 6 miles twice a week instead of 4 miles 3 times a week. I do have to go to gym 3 times a week because my wife want to lose weight.

[...]

I believe if I can run faster than my opponent, even the best striker in the world won't be able to hit me. I had out run a motocycle chassing with a guy holding a Samurai sword on the back seat when I was young. I had faith in my running since then. That's one ability I will never give up in my old age.
    Running is way better for weight loss than gym machines. Have your wife go with you. Plot out a 3 mile route and make her walk. She can progress to alternating run/walk, and build up to 3 mile jog/run.

You can run while she does her walk. Just keep doubling back to keep her company if you get to far ahead. Her 3 mile route becomes your 6 mile. You can mix it up with ****leks, which is better for your sparring than just a steady run. That's a good way for an experienced runner to partner with a novice.

Yeah those motorcycle sword guys. I hate when that happens...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYzPUa-6BLE

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I don't. After running will be my serious stretching time. I will do my static stretching first. I then do my dynamic stretching (inside crescent, outside crescent, swing leg forward up, swing leg backward up, ...). I'll then finish with 4 punching drills and 4 kicking drills. Running is the best way to warm up.
    I cut back on my static stretching. Doing mostly contract/relax and dynamic.

You could mix it up a little.

Like fast stretching, kicking drills and punching drills as warmups for your SC days. Especially if you can do 3 SC days.

I do stretching, fast footwork, kicking drills, punching drills as warmup for bag work and Mantis.
    Last edited by -N-; 08-19-2012 at 09:10 PM.

No, you put words in my mouth and altered my meaning. And yes, obesity is a problem in TCMA, especially with instructors.

You live two blocks from a military base. I've been in for 13 years. Who do you think is right here?
    Drake admitted it. He has been being taken care of by the military for 13 years. Just saying.

For what it is worth I will throw my opinion in. We are all fighters in our own way. The tcma community are fighters too albeit mostly in their minds but that is besides the point. The goal is to get better at our skill sets(grappling, striking, being aware of danger, etc) and not to become super fit, super strong, super ripped fitness people. If Michael Phelps lifted weights all day, did gymnastic stengthening, and did not swim at all he would be a terrible swimmer. There is a huge difference between an athlete and someone who is in great shape. An athlete is in great shape AND performs a sport that requires good skills sets. A guy in shape does crossfit and gets to grunt with his buddies about doing tons of box jumps in 20 minutes. Big difference. I do not believe in the big 4(deadlifting, squats etc) as the main exercises for strength. There are many ways to build stength. And there are many ways to condition yourself. The best way to condition yourself for wrestling is to actually wrestle a lot. The new fad phrase of the day is, "approach exercise as a practice and not as a work out". While this is good advice to keep from getting injured web doing newer harder exercises it has led to people thinking that that are athletes when in truth they just work out.

If I had 2 hours to train every day...and I had a fight coming up...or was worried about a possible fight if I was a bouncer, bodyguard...I would make myself stronger and find someone to work with. I realize this is kind of broad but there you have it. I would use the first 30-45 min for conditioning(lifting, carrying my partner across the yard and he does the same back, pushing heavy objects, pulling heavy objects, sprints, bear crawls, helping grandmas with their groceries. The next hour or so would be spent drilling to develop new skills and then...dare I say it on re Kung fu forum...sparring of some kind. Or we can just be pc and call it "resistance training" which is hilarious cause now every Kung fu person does this so called "resistance training" and probably thinks they are sparring.
    Last edited by RWilson; 08-19-2012 at 09:59 PM.

I am not putting words in your mouth. Your problem is that you are vomiting posts out onto the forum, and apparently, you can't make sense of the disconnected vomit-spray that you are spewing. So, when someone who can connect the dots of your nonsense comes along and asks you about it, you get mad.

It doesn't really matter how long you have been in the military if you don't know anything about steroids. You definitely aren't clear about the military drug testing policies.

You definitely don't know a lot about working out either, the basic assumptions of CrossFit are embarrassingly incorrect.

Oh, you want to take the high road now? Too late, I think.
    nope just like making fun of someone who gets all his information from late night TV ads

Drake admitted it. He has been being taken care of by the military for 13 years. Just saying.

For what it is worth I will throw my opinion in. We are all fighters in our own way. The tcma community are fighters too albeit mostly in their minds but that is besides the point. The goal is to get better at our skill sets(grappling, striking, being aware of danger, etc) and not to become super fit, super strong, super ripped fitness people. If Michael Phelps lifted weights all day, did gymnastic stengthening, and did not swim at all he would be a terrible swimmer. There is a huge difference between an athlete and someone who is in great shape. An athlete is in great shape AND performs a sport that requires good skills sets. A guy in shape does crossfit and gets to grunt with his buddies about doing tons of box jumps in 20 minutes. Big difference. I do not believe in the big 4(deadlifting, squats etc) as the main exercises for strength. There are many ways to build stength. And there are many ways to condition yourself. The best way to condition yourself for wrestling is to actually wrestle a lot. The new fad phrase of the day is, "approach exercise as a practice and not as a work out". While this is good advice to keep from getting injured web doing newer harder exercises it has led to people thinking that that are athletes when in truth they just work out.

If I had 2 hours to train every day...and I had a fight coming up...or was worried about a possible fight if I was a bouncer, bodyguard...I would make myself stronger and find someone to work with. I realize this is kind of broad but there you have it. I would use the first 30-45 min for conditioning(lifting, carrying my partner across the yard and he does the same back, pushing heavy objects, pulling heavy objects, sprints, bear crawls, helping grandmas with their groceries. The next hour or so would be spent drilling to develop new skills and then...dare I say it on re Kung fu forum...sparring of some kind. Or we can just be pc and call it "resistance training" which is hilarious cause now every Kung fu person does this so called "resistance training" and probably thinks they are sparring.
    translation

I don't train, but I am an expert on fitness and I am gong to put down others who similarly aren't training. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    nope just like making fun of someone who gets all his information from late night TV ads
    Yeah, and that's not a silly insult

Yeah, and that's not a silly insult
    no, because he is not a feminine omega who is terrified of strangth.

your rules dont apply to real warriors. we do as we wish.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC