Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Iron palm/body questions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    Yep, that's us.

Please say hello to Gene for me if you have a chance.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Thank you Iron Weasel for a direct concise answer.

The indirect method I follow started out with the mung bean sack until the contents were pulverized (took just under 3 months) and I had to repeat it two more times.

the next stage was filling the bag with Pumice mixed with Coal, slightly denser then the beans but easier then the following stage which is the River Rocks.

I used to do the Direct method that started with a pot of mung beans which was okay but when I progressed to the sand I found I was calousing too much and my sensitivity when drawing/carving or playing my instrument was being affected so I stopped.

For execution exercises I tend to favor Boards. Palm slap I did 3 one inch boards, 5 if I used the cutting palm. finger tips only 1. Concrete Patio Slab I used to be able to do 2 1" but recently.

In the progress method do you also have requirements/testing to demonstrate how to project the energy through soft tissue to shock/damage internal organs.

Some I've seen are:

the thick folded towel over the brick/slab

Selective breaks ie: 3 slabs break the bottom one

one i've heard of but not seen is the submersion of the object under some water.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Please say hello to Gene for me if you have a chance.

I certainly will.

I took two weeks off of class for surgery (SC class)...

So, I will see him next week.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    Thank you Iron Weasel for a direct concise answer.

The indirect method I follow started out with the mung bean sack until the contents were pulverized (took just under 3 months) and I had to repeat it two more times.

the next stage was filling the bag with Pumice mixed with Coal, slightly denser then the beans but easier then the following stage which is the River Rocks.

I used to do the Direct method that started with a pot of mung beans which was okay but when I progressed to the sand I found I was calousing too much and my sensitivity when drawing/carving or playing my instrument was being affected so I stopped.

For execution exercises I tend to favor Boards. Palm slap I did 3 one inch boards, 5 if I used the cutting palm. finger tips only 1. Concrete Patio Slab I used to be able to do 2 1" but recently.

In the progress method do you also have requirements/testing to demonstrate how to project the energy through soft tissue to shock/damage internal organs.

Some I've seen are:

the thick folded towel over the brick/slab

Selective breaks ie: 3 slabs break the bottom one

one i've heard of but not seen is the submersion of the object under some water.

Blocks are favored over boards because there is a lot of variation from board to board, and age and moisture can be determining factors.

We try to use the same supplier to ensure consistency between students/classes/blocks.

People showing off IP 'skills' using ONE block is ridiculous. My youngest daughter can, and has broken ONE block, without hand training.

Pillows, towels and phonebooks do NOT mimic soft tissue barriers. They cushion the blunt trauma to the (untrained) hand, so that you can hit harder without injury. That is one of the points of training IP in the first place.

I don't notice the sting as much, but I haven't lost any tactile sensitivity because of my hand training. I work in the medical field, and sometimes I need to palpate a patients' vein for a venipuncture, and I haven't noticed any difference.

But, then, our method of training doesn't disfigure like other 'shortcut' methods tend to.
    Quote:

I have always wanted to do the Body, but it's a huge time commitment.

With a career and teenagers....it will stay on my list of future endeavors for a little longer.

I only ever did leg and arm. But the striking itself doesn't really take much time. Adding stomach and back etc would obviously add more time but i think the more important ones are the arm and leg anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    I only ever did leg and arm. But the striking itself doesn't really take much time. Adding stomach and back etc would obviously add more time but i think the more important ones are the arm and leg anyway.

You might be misunderstanding our training method. This was a long thread several months ago.

Our training engages the muscle and facia/connective tissue, to stress/stimulate it into growth and resilience.

It's a long series of repetitive movements and postures. THOSE consume the training time.

The body striking comes at the very end and is miminal, timewise.

We all do some supplemental body striking drills, but those aren't a formal part of the "Iron Body" regimen.
    Quote:

You might be misunderstanding our training method. This was a long thread several months ago.

Our training engages the muscle and facia/connective tissue, to stress/stimulate it into growth and resilience.

It's a long series of repetitive movements and postures. THOSE consume the training time.

The body striking comes at the very end and is miminal, timewise.

We all do some supplemental body striking drills, but those aren't a formal part of the "Iron Body" regimen.
    oh yeah i remember that post. Your method does take a long time.

For the original topic, not reading the thread to see how off track its gone, this topic became boring after about the 1st 2 weeks of undergrad physiology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_remodeling