Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Iron palm/body questions

Here's a dumb question. Doing it twice a day and using the Dit Da Jow on your hands. If I do it in the morning before work and then put on the Jow, how long before I can wash my hands?

I always smell like I just drank when I'm done and spilled it all over myself. Anyone else have this problem?
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    Here's a dumb question. Doing it twice a day and using the Dit Da Jow on your hands. If I do it in the morning before work and then put on the Jow, how long before I can wash my hands?

I always smell like I just drank when I'm done and spilled it all over myself. Anyone else have this problem?
    I would keep it on for 20-30 min.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

20 minutes is decent and the medicine has been absorbed and you can wash the residue off your hands.

Though many of the formulas I sell do not smell all that bad.

People smell like Chinese or Indian food.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post

My teacher told me for one hour and he also told me that I shouldn't wash my hands with cold water for a few hours.

Old wives tales about the hour long waiting period. 20 minutes is enough if you need to wash it off. I leave it on all day and training short little sets throughout the day when Im at my clinic as I have a bag in the clinic.

Never wash with cold as it will shock your body. Always wash off liniment with warm or hot water.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Never wash with cold as it will shock your body. Always wash off liniment with warm or hot water.
    I can understand how cold water would inhibit circulation and blood flow to the area. From a pure absorption standpoint, however, warm/ hot water will leach the medicine more so than cold water

If you want to warm up your hands in the winter time or if you have absorption issues you can warm them in hot water for 5 minutes and the apply your medicine.

The poster was asking about washing the liniment off, not about absorption issues. Hence my telling them that cold water is not the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    If you want to warm up your hands in the winter time or if you have absorption issues you can warm them in hot water for 5 minutes and the apply your medicine.

The poster was asking about washing the liniment off, not about absorption issues. Hence my telling them that cold water is not the way to go.
    I agree. I think the way I quoted you earlier was confusing so my mistake.

Cold water has its uses. Google "cold water dousing." Basically you dump a bucket of cold water on your head after you take a shower.

No idea if all the health benefits attributed to it are legit, but it definitely wakes you up. That shock is exactly what people want. There's some potentially voodoo science behind it, but it will definitely wake you up.

Start with room temperature water and progress to colder water over a period of weeks if you're gonna do it.

Don't do it if you have heart problems.

But yeah, I wouldn't use cold water to wash jow off.

There's also something similar called a "James Bond shower."
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Oh, according to western science, heat is pro-inflammatory, so you probably don't want to soak your hands in hot water after training. I know it sounds like a good idea, to increase the blood flow, but it will also increase inflammation which will lead to damage and incomplete healing over time.

Icing for less than 20 minutes is anti-inflammatory.

I'd probably just stick with the jow, though.

I did see a website in the late 90s that recommended holding your hands under hot running water for a few minutes after training iron palm instead of using jow. That sounds like a bad idea.

But heat before a workout is fine, especially if you are "cold," which can lead to injuries.

I'm just mentioning this in case someone goes "I don't have any jow, jow increases blood flow, hot water increases blood flow, therefore I will just use hot water and skip the jow."

Hey is Wing Lam's jow pretty weaksauce? I used it every day for years and never noticed a difference in bruise healing time vs. not using jow.

This was 13 or 14 years ago if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post

There's also something similar called a "James Bond shower."
    "The Man with the Golden Shower"...

Coming to theaters near you...

Hey is Wing Lam's jow pretty weaksauce? I used it every day for years and never noticed a difference in bruise healing time vs. not using jow.

This was 13 or 14 years ago if that matters.
    His regular jow is watered down, he also sells something he calls triple strength which is the regular strength jow to most of us.

Hence I make mine strong and you will notice the difference in a few days.

Oh, according to western science, heat is pro-inflammatory, so you probably don't want to soak your hands in hot water after training. I know it sounds like a good idea, to increase the blood flow, but it will also increase inflammation which will lead to damage and incomplete healing over time.

Icing for less than 20 minutes is anti-inflammatory.

I'd probably just stick with the jow, though.

I did see a website in the late 90s that recommended holding your hands under hot running water for a few minutes after training iron palm instead of using jow. That sounds like a bad idea.

But heat before a workout is fine, especially if you are "cold," which can lead to injuries.

I'm just mentioning this in case someone goes "I don't have any jow, jow increases blood flow, hot water increases blood flow, therefore I will just use hot water and skip the jow."
    Icing is mostly used for the injuries in bigger muscles which have a big blood supply. However in Iron palm icing is more likely to cause damage to the tendons and the ligaments which don't have a good blood circulation to begin with. A little bit of inflammation is actually a part of the healing process in our bodies and a better blood flow can speed up the healing as well as making the structure stronger. Icing on the other hand interrupts this natural process and I think shouldn't be used for that area after a normal iron palm routine.

Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    Icing is mostly used for the injuries in bigger muscles which have a big blood supply. However in Iron palm icing is more likely to cause damage to the tendons and the ligaments which don't have a good blood circulation to begin with. A little bit of inflammation is actually a part of the healing process in our bodies and a better blood flow can speed up the healing as well as making the structure stronger. Icing on the other hand interrupts this natural process and I think shouldn't be used for that area after a normal iron palm routine.
    I've heard of ice dipping being used to treat wrist and finger tendonitis from guitar playing.

Ice dipping is taking a bowl of almost freezing water, dipping your hand (or elbow, or whatever body part) in it for 10 seconds and then removing it. This is repeated 10 times over 2 hours (so every 12 and a half minutes).

I don't think heat or ice should be used after iron palm, though. I mean if you get to the point where you're having that sort of injury, you're probably doing iron palm wrong, anyway.

You're right that inflammation is part of the healing process, but when it gets out of control it leads to long term injury.

I used to always use a heating pad on injuries. What a huge mistake lol. But it feels good in the short term so you think hey, it's doing good!

I've heard heating is ok as long as you finish with ice.