Thread: Amir Khan vs Daniel Darcia

Amir Khan vs Daniel Darcia

Anyone see this fight??

http://www.proboxing-fans.com/khan-v...rcia-results6/

This was an amazing fight. Garcia from Philadelphia knocked out the highly marketed Brit-Pakistani in the 4th round.in a light welter championship match.
    Khan has fast hands, a great coach-Freddie Roach- and he is usually in shape- though he seems to have a weak jaw and has very little defensive adjustments.

Khan won the first 3 rounds on points though Garcia was figuring out his counters. Then bam Garcia's left hook decked Khan. He took a very long count-
    the referee started late. But he got knocked down two more times and the referee saw his eyes and unsteady legs and stopped the fight.
    The thing about Garcia's left hooks is they are quite wide as you can see in the pic. And, the hook landed on the side of Khan's neck-a bad spot to be hit.

Thought you might like the pic.

PS.. Khan also made another mistake- he was rattled by racial anti Pak remarks made by Garcia's father before the fight-so he was too eagerly looking for a knock out
    and thus being open for the slower Garcia's counter punching!!.

yep saw the fight a few things came out of it for me

Khan when throwing combinations always drops the right before throwing it how roache hasn't fixed this is beyond me...... it happens time and time again he throws the left then cycles the right down from his chin and throws it from shoulder height, Garcia saw this and timed the left hook beautifully, he also throw a lot of body shots to help khan drop his hands

secondly the ref did everything he could to help khan, slow eight count helping he get his gloves up because he couldnt hold them up on his own, in the 4th he stepped in to give khan a count just as Garcia was moving in to finish him, allowing him time to recovery, and he almost allowed him to continue after the second knock down

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post

Khan when throwing combinations always drops the right before throwing it how roache hasn't fixed this is beyond me...... it happens time and time again he throws the left then cycles the right down from his chin and throws it from shoulder height, Garcia saw this and timed the left hook beautifully, he also throw a lot of body shots to help khan drop his hands

secondly the ref did everything he could to help khan, slow eight count helping he get his gloves up because he couldnt hold them up on his own, in the 4th he stepped in to give khan a count just as Garcia was moving in to finish him, allowing him time to recovery, and he almost allowed him to continue after the second knock down
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    On target. Good analysis. Khan was the darling of the establishment including the HBO pseudo commentators- Kellerman, Merchant etc. Khan won silver for the UK in the Olympics but has not really made a a transition to the pros-on defense, pacing, strategy etc. Roach's great achievement was teaching southpaw Pacquiao the right hook with which he got Hatton I believe. Good in teaching combinations with the pads-less so defense. He taught hands to a well known MMA fighter and criticized
    the well known Russian's punching. The Russian knocked the other guy out- I forget the names at this moment.

Incidentally a great old time Indian wrestler- Singh- died a few days ago- among others he "beat"
    (pro wrestling)Lou Thesz

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    On target. Good analysis. Khan was the darling of the establishment including the HBO pseudo commentators- Kellerman, Merchant etc. Khan won silver for the UK in the Olympics but has not really made a a transition to the pros-on defense, pacing, strategy etc. Roach's great achievement was teaching southpaw Pacquiao the right hook with which he got Hatton I believe. Good in teaching combinations with the pads-less so defense. He taught hands to a well known MMA fighter and criticized
    the well known Russian's punching. The Russian knocked the other guy out- I forget the names at this moment.

Incidentally a great old time Indian wrestler- Singh- died a few days ago- among others he "beat"
    (pro wrestling)Lou Thesz
    khan has the same problem prince nazeem used to have, they were head and shoulders above the other British guys they fought early on in their career that they could get away with sloppy technique, and it becomes so ingrained that when they do meet better opponents they simply cant get out of the habit

shame the old guard are passing, Indian wrestling has always interested me, loved watching old videos of the guys training and have spent more than a few hours getting schooled by Indian and Pakistani born grapplers not to respect both their art and their cultures, they are warriors

khan has the same problem prince nazeem used to have, they were head and shoulders above the other British guys they fought early on in their career that they could get away with sloppy technique, and it becomes so ingrained that when they do meet better opponents they simply cant get out of the habit

shame the old guard are passing, Indian wrestling has always interested me, loved watching old videos of the guys training and have spent more than a few hours getting schooled by Indian and Pakistani born grapplers not to respect both their art and their cultures, they are warriors
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asa kid I once met the great Gama-before the partition of India/Pakistan and his permanent move to Pakistan. He was quite old . In a pit near my house in Kolkata , I used to see the old rigorous training methods...the dunds, baithaks, mugdars, posts, nals, gadas, the large clubs, the overhead stone bowls, climbing etc.

Lack of sponsorship robs current prospects of time for quality workouts and diets, rest and massage. Plus mat wrestling is taking many away from pit wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asa kid I once met the great Gama-before the partition of India/Pakistan and his permanent move to Pakistan. He was quite old . In a pit near my house in Kolkata , I used to see the old rigorous training methods...the dunds, baithaks, mugdars, posts, nals, gadas, the large clubs, the overhead stone bowls, climbing etc.

Lack of sponsorship robs current prospects of time for quality workouts and diets, rest and massage. Plus mat wrestling is taking many away from pit wrestling.
    i know a lot of the small towns still have pit wrestling and full time gyms but no where near the number that used to, but as you say its not the same as it used to be, its good to see guys competing in the commonwealth games and OL games at mat wrestling and medaling but its not pit wrestlig, unfortunatly times change

First of all this was a fantastic fight, its only the second Khan fight I've seen but he looked great through the first two rounds. I really don't think he did anything wrong...when he got caught with the left hook from Garcia, he was throwing punches and driving Garcia back. In fact Garcia's head was completely turned to the right when he connected with Khan. He never saw the punch land.

The first knockdown landed on his neck slightly below the right ear, I've never seen a knock out connect at that location, but Khan's response was instaneous...his equilibrium was blown and he lost control of his legs. He never fully recovered from that blow for the remainder of the 3rd and 4th rounds. He fought on admirably.

Most of the time when the fighter's equilibrium is effected its from a blow to the temple or behind/at the ear. Garcia's blow was almost all neck. Interesting to watch.

I wasn't convinced it was lack of coaching or a defensive lax...Frost maybe right but I tend to think in this case it was more of a lucky punch rather than a skillful set up by Garcia. It was still too early in the fight, in my opinion for Garcia to have got Khan to drop his high guard and as I stated above, he threw the punch but was retreating and had his head turned away when it connected.

Still a great upset. Its always interesting to watch the HBO crew as they always seen to have their winner/favorite picked out before the fight even starts.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    First of all this was a fantastic fight, its only the second Khan fight I've seen but he looked great through the first two rounds. I really don't think he did anything wrong...when he got caught with the left hook from Garcia, he was throwing punches and driving Garcia back. In fact Garcia's head was completely turned to the right when he connected with Khan. He never saw the punch land.

The first knockdown landed on his neck slightly below the right ear, I've never seen a knock out connect at that location, but Khan's response was instaneous...his equilibrium was blown and he lost control of his legs. He never fully recovered from that blow for the remainder of the 3rd and 4th rounds. He fought on admirably.

Most of the time when the fighter's equilibrium is effected its from a blow to the temple or behind/at the ear. Garcia's blow was almost all neck. Interesting to watch.

I wasn't convinced it was lack of coaching or a defensive lax...Frost maybe right but I tend to think in this case it was more of a lucky punch rather than a skillful set up by Garcia. It was still too early in the fight, in my opinion for Garcia to have got Khan to drop his high guard and as I stated above, he threw the punch but was retreating and had his head turned away when it connected.

Still a great upset. Its always interesting to watch the HBO crew as they always seen to have their winner/favorite picked out before the fight even starts.
    the british commentators called it in the second round saying if he didint keep on dropping his right he was going to eat a left hook like the last time he got put down....

Khan has great power and great hand speed but watch any of his fights and when he starts throwing combos he always drops the right to shoulder level, Garcia seemed to know this as he was looking for the hook going to the body then head, as for the punch i tend to think if it landed on his chin it would have been came over like the last time but at least this time his hand was higher http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M89Q2dQKMZo&feature=fvst

Getting hit in the neck is very rare in boxing- gloves and tucked chins make it very hard.
    When it does happen however, it is usually a fight ender (though not always a KO), typically because if the shot his the vagus nerve, a fighters balance will be off for a very long time ( he may not recover enough to NOT get hit again).
    If the carotid sinus is hit, the blood pressure will be effected and the same situation happens.
    Sucks because it's not a "devastating KO" shot like the chin, but you feel really, really ****ed up.
    Like you are gonna faint or you are off balance or you just can't get anything to work...
    Freaky thing.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

@Sanjuro, you almost sounded well educated there bro...methinks you're really a male nurse.

@Frost...I always love the British broadcasters, I think they're more colorful and observant than many of the American counterparts...especially during soccer and rugby matches. I'll have to see the fight called by the Limeys.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

@Sanjuro, you almost sounded well educated there bro...methinks you're really a male nurse.
    I did a systematic and very through study of Dim Mak and vital point striking not too long ago, in which I spoke with forensic pathologists, trauma surgeons and field medics.
    I also got hit a lot when I was younger.

And what were your conclusions on Dim Mak and vital point strikes?

Actually this knock out reminded me of knife hand knockout strikes to neck, like this vid, but those are usually flash knockouts due to blood flow cut off or the carotid artery...not the type that really effect your equilibrium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Ro6Esx-xo

And what were your conclusions on Dim Mak and vital point strikes?

Actually this knock out reminded me of knife hand knockout strikes to neck, like this vid, but those are usually flash knockouts due to blood flow cut off or the carotid artery...not the type that really effect your equilibrium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Ro6Esx-xo
    The main vital points work and are easily proven to work.
    Many points are NOT striking points.
    Many points are "stabbing" points.
    Not all of the minor ones work, so don't bother with them.
    The good thing about dim mak or any other vital point striking system that focuses on the points that work on EVERYONE and ALL the time is that even if you miss, you still hit in an area that will still do some damage.
    Think the sniper motto:
    Aim small, miss small, aim big, miss big.

Funny clip !
    LOL !

FWIW- Ken Norton knocked(TKO) out-Duane Bobick(?) witha straight hit to the front of the throat
    immediate end of the fight.

Kidney, liver and solar plexus punches gave dropped people.
    Last edited by Vajramusti; 07-27-2012 at 07:20 PM.

I think Frost colored it well. The dropping of the right hand was apparent and I'm sure Garcia's corner saw it. It is curious that as good of a trainer that Roach is, that this was not corrected.
    It's too bad. Although a loss, Khan's fight with Lamont Peterson was a good chin test for him, and he came off a good win over Judah before that. I never heard of Garcia until he fought Nate Campbell and still didn't think much until he got a decision over El Terrible, which was a great fight. I'll be looking forward to the Garcia-Morales rematch in October.
    It definitely changes the landscape of who Mayweather will fight next since they were setting up Khan to fight Mayweather, and if 50cent gets his promoter's licence in Nevada, with Mayweather now out of jail, the Pacquiao fight could actually be a possibility.