Thread: Joe Louis Part 6... Final

Joe Louis Part 6... Final

Hi All
    I know a few of you enjoyed these articles on Joe Louis style and heres the 6th and final

http://www.boxing.com/how_to_box_by_..._together.html

Must say, possibly the finest breakdown of a fighter and his style ive ever read

GlennR

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Hi All
    I know a few of you enjoyed these articles on Joe Louis style and heres the 6th and final

http://www.boxing.com/how_to_box_by_..._together.html

Must say, possibly the finest breakdown of a fighter and his style ive ever read

GlennR
    -----------------------------------------------
    Superb. Thx Glenn. Again, I was watching his knees working together- the key to his balance,
    That scream of Schmeling when he was hit near the kidney-wow. And-the lie and the truth-the fake low jab followed by that uppercut!!!! The writer is correct-Luis was not ina foot race--the feet working together allowed him to move in and out as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -----------------------------------------------
    Superb. Thx Glenn. Again, I was watching his knees working together- the key to his balance,
    That scream of Schmeling when he was hit near the kidney-wow. And-the lie and the truth-the fake low jab followed by that uppercut!!!! The writer is correct-Luis was not ina foot race--the feet working together allowed him to move in and out as needed.
    Its a wonderful piece isnt it Joy

Ive got dual screens on my pc and watched both the fights he described while breaking down his commentary,stop and replaying as i went.

The feints, subtle footwork.... the precision. Wonderful

Ill have to re-look and watch his knees (his balance is superb), i think i look at footwork a little differently to you. What exactly did you notice?

Honestly, for anyone interested in a striking art (WC comes to mind ) this is truly worth reading and watching

[QUOTE=GlennR;1183897] Hi Glenn

The feints, subtle footwork.... the precision. Wonderful

((Yes- for sure. The subtle feint to the stomach before an uppercut. The shift to the left before a right uppercut-those all require great coordination. He is fighting a strong guy much taller and 40 pounds heavier-and he shows both technical efficiency, power and timing.

On feints a friend and great AAU and Army welterweight champion-Farron Hottle from Oklahoma was on the US Army team with the heavy weight Olympic champion Pet Rademacher who lost to Patterson ina pro fight. Farron -among other things- could the up down lie/truth feint in reverse. A slow jab feint upstairs and a straight short right to the solar plexus- down went
    Rademacher. Also 40 pound weight difference. Deceptive but simple and effective. Farron led singing ina church choir in Oklahoma city. RockyMarciano's promoter tried to have him turn pro- he did nor want to deal with the sleaze,)))

Ill have to re-look and watch his knees (his balance is superb), i think i look at footwork a little differently to you. What exactly did you notice?

((A principle "parallel" to good wing chun- both knees working well together- like a compass. If memory serves- in his early training, Blackburn tied a thin rope to his ankles separated at a balanced distance and made him move around- so that his weight was properly balanced))

joy
    Last edited by Vajramusti; 08-19-2012 at 06:27 AM.