Thread: Machete Kills

Machete Kills

Marko Zaror Takes Villain Role In Robert Rodriguez' MACHETE KILLS
    by Todd Brown, August 20, 2012 9:00 AM

In a move that makes so much sense it's shocking that it hasn't happened before now, Robert Rodriguez has cast Chilean action star Marko Zaror in a key villain role for the upcoming Machete Kills. Rodriguez apparently wrote the part specifically for the star of Mandrill, Kiltro and Mirageman and it will feature a number of fight sequences. A message to Zaror asking if he'd had the chance to punch Danny Trejo yet was simply answered with a happy "A few times!"

LOS ANGELES, CA (August 20, 2012) Marko Zaror, an international martial arts action star, just finished filming Machete Kills, the sequel to Robert Rodriguez's cult favorite Machete. Zaror joins an all-star ensemble cast, including Lady Gaga, Charlie Sheen, Mel Gibson, Sofia Vergara, and Jessica Alba. Zaror, dubbed the Bruce Lee of Latin America, is cast as Zaror (which happens to be his real last name), henchman to Mel Gibson's villainous character.

Rodriguez was quick to comment, "I've been a big fan of Marko's for years, and I even created this role specifically for him. He is an incredible martial artist with physics defying speed and agility, and he has a great movie star presence. I'm sure we'll be working together again soon."

For Zaror, this was an incredible opportunity. "To get a chance to work with Robert Rodriguez was a dream of mine since I saw El Mariachi. He has made some of the coolest characters ever. I am honored to have had the experience to work with him and his exceptional team," says Zaror.

Zaror is currently working with producing partner and manager, Derek Rundell, and writer/director Ernesto Diaz Espinoza, from RONNOC Entertainment on their next film, Violent Rider. This is the same trio that brought us fan favorites, Kiltro, Mirageman, and Mandrill. In addition, Zaror will be joining One Good Thing written by Todd Brown [ed: That's me!] and the team that brought us The Raid.

Note, please, Rodriguez' confidence that the pair will be working together again soon ... something to look forward to in the upcoming Sin City: A Dame To Kill For, perhaps?
    Mandrill, Kiltro and Mirageman
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

A picture is worth...

...a thousand rounds at full auto.
    Mar 7 2013 11:50 AM ET
    Sofia Vergara's bra racks up 'Machete Kills' body count -- EXCLUSIVE
    by Geoff Boucher

Well, finally, a Hollywood movie that bends over backwards to show some big gun supporters getting a fair shake on screen.

Yes, that’s Sofía Vergara who – as Lady Desdemona, a femme fatale in Machete Kills – straps herself into a weaponized wardrobe that lifts, separates and mows down rivals.

It’s all from the impact-splatter imagination of Robert Rodriguez, the filmmaker who alternates between bloody (Sin City, El Mariachi) and fizzy (four Spy Kids films, The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava Girl) without aesthetic shift or ethical distress. The Texas father of five says he rarely feels the heat from critics of violence in film because the hyper-reality and loopy irony of his films puts them spiritually closer to a Road Runner cartoon than a Taxi Driver remake. For the record, he also thinks the recent debate about on-screen gun control is off target. “To lay the problems of gun violence on movies diminishes the importance of the real issues.”

You could say that the affable Rodriguez has toned it down a bit — the last time he presented a female character with asault anatomy she lost a fictional limb in the process. In 2007′s Planet Terror, go-go dancer Cherry Darling (played by one-time fiancee Rose McGowan) was armed with a leg — a giant machine gun was affixed to the stump of her amputated right leg.

The sequel to Machete (2010) again revisits the title character, Machete Cortez, (Danny Trejo) a dangerous, hard-luck anti-hero. This time the U.S. government (led by Charlie Sheen in the Oval Office) recruits Machete to battle his way through his native Mexico to topple an arms dealer who wants to rain destruction on the U.S. with a orbital weapon.

The cast also includes Mel Gibson, Vanessa Hudgens, Michelle Rodriguez, Amber Heard, and Lady Gaga, who knows a thing or two about undergarment firepower. That group as a whole may have more TMZ heat than IMDB glow, but it’s all in good fun says Rodriguez. He especially admired Vergara’s zeal. “It was a whirlwind. She was willing to do anything and everything. She became this character. It was great fun for everybody.”

We’ve got high-res Lady D and two previously released posters…

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I finally saw this on Netflix

Ever seen the Spy Kids franchise? Rodriguez directed those too, and Trejo has a role there as well. MK is a lot like SK in style only with more gratuitous violence and swearing. It's weird how Tarantino and Rodriguez have made grindhouse even more caricature of itself. It's part homage, part exploitative, but sometimes feels a little less genuine to the genre - therein lies the greatest part of the parody homage. The cameos are amusing just as cameos always are - Lady Gaga steals the show. No gratuitous nudity - just skimpy outfits (maybe Netflix has an edited version but I don't think so). Crappy CGI effects which only accentuate that sense of graindhouse glory. Way too much CGI blood - there should be a law that all grindhouse flick use real liquid blood, not digital (my constant pet peeve). There's just something about that real splatter that is so grindhouse and just can't be imitated digitally. It's just cheesier - sloppier in a true grindhouse fashion. Some really funny helicopter violence and lots of self-deprecating Mexican humor, which made me think Asian Hollywood stars should do something similar, maybe with Justin Lin at the helm .

The biggest plus was Marko Zaror, playing 'Zaror', the top henchman. I've been following him for some times now and have mentioned him in my Chollywood Rising column in our print magazine - he's definitely one of the rising martial arts stars, reviewed on this forum already, definitely one to watch.

Yes, there are sword fights, including a finale fight against Mel Gibson that was satisfying (but would have been much more satisfying with real liquid blood).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Saw this movie at a local B-Movie film fest and yes it sucked but it was all worth it for President Charlie Sheen!

Greetings,

More than a few Grindhouse movies did suck. Sometimes it only took a line, a hip scene, or something like an obvious incongruity to make people talk about it and make it classic. So, if this movie sucked yet had memorable aspects, Robert Rodriguez successfully upheld the Grindhouse tradition.

I consider the movie "Termnator" part of the Grindhouse tradition.

mickey