Five ranges in fighting

I generally look at fighting in 6 ranges (generalized):

1. pre-contact range: this is really where the confrontation begins
    2. kicking range
    3. punching range
    4. elbow range
    5. clinch range
    6. ground

While different arts tend to focus on and dominate different ranges, I believe we need to be proficient in dealing with all of the ranges.

Comments?
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Oh crap, I wrote "five" on the topic line.

I guess there are two types of people in the world, those who can't count.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

While weapons can be presented at any of those stages as well, how about longer range for initial armed engagement etc too?

Quote Originally Posted by Gowgee View Post
    While weapons can be presented at any of those stages as well, how about longer range for initial armed engagement etc too?
    Definitely. Any personal experience? Advices from your teacher etc?
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post

2. kicking range
    3. punching range
    4. elbow range
    5. clinch range
    6. ground

While different arts tend to focus on and dominate different ranges, I believe we need to be proficient in dealing with all of the ranges.

Comments?
    I definitely agree if you're not prepared to fight on the ground or standing you're not ready really.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    I definitely agree if you're not prepared to fight on the ground or standing you're not ready really.
    I don't like the ground, because I like to give myself the opportunity to run and escape. And for that very reason, I NEED to know the ground, so I can deal with it and get out of trouble.

I must admit tho, my ground work is very average. If you manage to keep me there you'd probably beat the crap out of me
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

2. kicking range
    3. punching range
    4. elbow range
    5. clinch range
    6. ground

Comments?
    This sounds like a JKD question..To me there is only one range,and that is the fighting range.If you can reach me with some weapon your in fighting range.If you cant then there is no fight yet. Another way I look at it is if I can touch you im in fighting range if i cant I need to move in. Whether one uses there knee,elbow,fist,leg who care. Fighting is fighting
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Blog Entries
    The "elbow range" and "clinch range" are hard to separate.

- Judo guys may consider wrist (sleeve) hold as clinch range because their long sleeve Gi.
    - SC guys may consider elbow hold as clinch range because their short sleeve jacket.
    - MT guys may consider back neck hold as clinch range because that their knee striking range.
    - Wrestlers may consider underhook, overhook, ... as clinch range because they train for jacketless.

The ranges is important. You have to enter the kicking range before you can enter the punching range. When you are in clinch range, it's hard to kick, or punch. How to enter each ranges safely without been hit is important. I'll call that "entering strategy".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-21-2012 at 11:34 PM.

I agree with YKW but think I know where John is coming from.

Elbow range and clinch range overlap to a large degree. you can both grapple and strike at this range. You can strike on the ground too, of course.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I'm more inclined to agree with Stonecrusher. If analysis like this helps you in your training then fair enough but for me its all a bit too clinical and a bit too 2 dimensional. The old range approach doesn't factor in other scenario specific variables like the angle, body weight, momentum etc and doesn't allow sufficiently for overlaps. For example the Wing chun jic gerk, chut sun gerk etc are / can be applied in a range that most would consider punching range. From certain angles they can also be applied at what most would consider clinch range. A boxing hook is a punch but when thrown correctly is a very close range weapon thrown at the same range as elbows tend to be, as is the uppercut, both can be thrown effectively from what many would consider clinch range as can elbows. Equally the knee to the groin seems to be fairly effective in clinch range as do palm strikes to the ears. However if you change the relative angle of the combatants without increasing their distance from one another hooks, elbows etc can no longer reach and cerrtain targets may no longer be available whilst others present themselves. At the same time if an opponent is charging in weight forward and chin down then no matter the distance incoming kicks are not likely to be a concern etc etc
    Its horses for courses and I used to be a believer in the range approach but now I personally find it a bit redundant
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

2. kicking range
    3. punching range
    4. elbow range
    5. clinch range
    6. ground

Comments?
    The problem with this approach is that the 'ranges' above are actually groups of techniques and not distances from the opponent. Categorizing them as 'stages' of combat is equally unsuitable as it implies a sequence.

I see these more as 'stages of learning' - a valuable way of teaching set groups of techniques and their applications at a variety of distances with there being only 2 'ranges' - pre-contact and contact. But then again, I spent some time in JKD so that may have rubbed off... although I do recall a Kuen Kuit which talks about always moving into the opponent with three techniques at once (two arms and one leg) which would kind of preclude the 'ranges of combat' approach.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    the same range as elbows tend to be, as is the uppercut, both can be thrown effectively from what many would consider clinch range ....
    There are 3 stages in the clinch range:

Stage 1 - Both you and your opponent's arms are still free.
    Stage 2 - At least one of you or your opponent's arm is not free.
    Stage 3 - All of you and your opponent's arms are not free.

It's very difficult to remain in the 1st stage without going to the 2nd stage, and then the 3rd stage. Of course during the 1st stage of the clinch range, your opponent can move back to get out of the clinch range, or knock you down. If he fails to do that, the stage 2 and stage 3 will be followed.

In the following clip, we can see that the stage 1 and the stage 2 did not last very long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krfr2l-TCU
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-22-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
    This sounds like a JKD question..To me there is only one range,and that is the fighting range.If you can reach me with some weapon your in fighting range.If you cant then there is no fight yet. Another way I look at it is if I can touch you im in fighting range if i cant I need to move in. Whether one uses there knee,elbow,fist,leg who care. Fighting is fighting
    Fair enough. There are many WC fighters who adopts your view too.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    I agree with YKW but think I know where John is coming from.

Elbow range and clinch range overlap to a large degree. you can both grapple and strike at this range. You can strike on the ground too, of course.
    Yes, I am generalizing them into categories for discussions. There's a lot of grey areas.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

For me I like to keep it a bit more simple,
    Non contact range followed by
    1) Stand up (not attached ie not holding your opponent)
    2) Clinch (you or your opponent have a hold)
    3) Ground (probably just as well Terrence is banned he would have a wet dream here lol it’s the SBG way!)
    I like this definition because I have seen way too many good kickers land their kicks from what many consider punching (and hell even elbow range) I have also seen good boxers knock people out with hooks from clinch range whilst not letting their opponent grab them
    I like to keep it simple and straight forward and then hopefully there are no nasty surprises