View Poll Results: How many live sparring rounds per year?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-10

2 15.38%
  • 10-50

2 15.38%
  • 50-100

1 7.69%
  • 100-500

2 15.38%
  • 500-1000

1 7.69%
  • 1000-2000

1 7.69%
  • 2000+

4 30.77%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sparring Frequency - Live Rounds

I think those that have trained in similar ways, will have similar ideas. Those that have not may not be as likely to. It's easy to know if someone trains a particular discipline, what's the point in asking someone to show clips?

I have nearly zero footage of myself doing martial arts, and I've been training and teaching for decades now. I just never thought about it. Then again, it's only been in the past decade that everyone had camera phones in their pockets. That would have made things a whole lot easier to film on the fly when I was younger and fighting more often.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    really what clubs and what level did you train MMA?
    Im open about where i grapple and posted clips of myself in comps, ive also been open about my stand up record, some semi contact stuff years ago, some barehand chinse full contact stuff (when i was young and stupid) and ive posted which MMA fighters i have sparred with and help prepare for fights

now since you are being all chest beating and insulting lets throw it back at you ....either post where you trained and who with and clips of yourself grappling/doing MMA or please just stop being an ass because no one here who has been in MMA gyms and has grappled believes for a second you have done either
    You posted a clip of you hopping in a circle. Also, we have been through this. It really doesn't matter where you train if you are going to train like a chump. You keeps saying that you have all this great training, but you have never managed to at least hop in a ring to beat down some garage trainers? LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    You posted a clip of you hopping in a circle. Also, we have been through this. It really doesn't matter where you train if you are going to train like a chump. You keeps saying that you have all this great training, but you have never managed to at least hop in a ring to beat down some garage trainers? LOL...
    Did i i thought i posted a clip of myself winning a grappling comp? must have been someone else lol
    so i take it thats a no on you posting anything other than insults? Keep projecting mate but no one is taking you seriously any more (if they ever did)

Quote Originally Posted by SAAMAG View Post
    I think those that have trained in similar ways, will have similar ideas. Those that have not may not be as likely to. It's easy to know if someone trains a particular discipline, what's the point in asking someone to show clips?

I have nearly zero footage of myself doing martial arts, and I've been training and teaching for decades now. I just never thought about it. Then again, it's only been in the past decade that everyone had camera phones in their pockets. That would have made things a whole lot easier to film on the fly when I was younger and fighting more often.
    It's all about the projection of their own inadequacies and rationalization that they are/were ever any good. I go on breaks and come back to this board and it is the same 3-4 guys who chump ass around in their real lives and lay on the internet day in and day out to convince someone that their training is worth a flying fat babies ass. And, they will tell you anything you want to know, in terms of terminology, forms, conditioning, maybe even techniques. The only thing missing is the actual how to fight part.

It's just freaking hilarious.

an hour of hard sparring a week is good as long as the other time is spent on good training...working your techniques, cardio, weights, forms, weapons...whatever it is you do. Working techniques on a partner even slow with low to no contact is every bit important as sparring.

Did i i thought i posted a clip of myself winning a grappling comp? must have been someone else lol
    so i take it thats a no on you posting anything other than insults? Keep projecting mate but no one is taking you seriously any more (if they ever did)
    Was that the clip where you displayed tremendous skill hopping in a circle?

Frost, I am convinced that any garage trainer with half a notion to stop your ass probably could.

Also, I definitely don't want your respect. You really don't know what you are talking about. I would be a little bit embarrassed if there were too much overlap with what we thought. Since, I know that you aren't going to ever actually fight, I would have to assume that I have really slipped in my understanding if the two of us were to agree. I would have to drop my career and start fighting again.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    But being a long distance learner myself like you were, I wouldn't want my Sifu to waste the precious time I have with him watching me 'spar' when I'd rather he focus on system level knowledge and training. That doesn't mean he doesn't test my hands and skills every time I see him, which he does often and is much more valubale to me (and I believe he's done with you as well). I can spar all I want when he's gone
    I see where you come from. Anyway, I still think none better than Sifu to tell me what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong when applying, or failing in applying, a given technique in a dynamic situation. One who watches it from the outside will have a different perspective, and I guess my Sifu will have a better perspective regarding the way I'm using or not being able to use what he's teaching me.

The best advices I had on rolling were given by my Luta Livre teacher. The best advice I had on using Choy Lee Fut when sparring were given by my CLF teacher. The best advices I had on using WC in sparring were given by... by who?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    I really really wish ALL WCK schools would change their mode of operation to dedicate the last 30 min of class to 3 min rounds.
    I always used sparring to warm up the class. Divide students into inner circle and outer circle. Everybody in the inner circle has to spar with someone in the outer circle. After 1 minutes, the inner circle rotate so everybody will have a new sparring partners. Since everybody are all sparring. Nobody is watching, students can spar comfortably without worrying about making any mistake.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo-RJ View Post
    I see where you come from. Anyway, I still think none better than Sifu to tell me what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong when applying, or failing in applying, a given technique in a dynamic situation.
    Agree with you there. My teacher liked to use "1, 2" to give instruction (he only knew few words in English). "1" is to set up and "2" is to execute. Sometime "1" and "2" are just 1/2 second or even 1/4 second apart. When my teacher said, "2", that's the time I should execute my move. There were onetime that he said, "2" but my body didn't follow his order fast enough, he didn't talk to me for the next 2 days (he lived in my house). Onetime when he said "2", my body wasn't ready to execute that move but I did any way. I missed my target big time. Even I failed on my move, he was very happy and talked to me all night about "lighting speed".

One important thing that I had learned from my teacher's coaching was, when I see an opportunity, I should take it, commit myself, and take the risk. It applies to my career path also and not just TCMA. Seeing an opportunity but afraid to make decision can happen to anybody without proper training.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-25-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I noticed that a few people here do this between 500 and 2000 times a year. That is a lot of Chi Sao. That is what you are talking about when refering to sparring Wing Chun, right?
    Not in my case, while i train and spar at a MT gym now i still use WC in my sparring as it suits

I would hope that no one would count Chi Sao. There are a lot of fairly live drills that I would not want to count either.

9 people that do any form of sparring with over 500 views.

Yet put up "does qi exist" or similar and you get nearly 1000 replies... i think im on the wrong forum

Blog Entries
    When your opponent visits your home, you throw him a pair of gloves (or SC jacket), go outside, spar/wrestle for 15 rounds, and have fun.

That will be the best life style for all TCMA lovers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsNXLF5dOtE
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-25-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    9 people that do any form of sparring with over 500 views.

Yet put up "does qi exist" or similar and you get nearly 1000 replies... i think im on the wrong forum
    It's not a well formed question. What is meant by sparring?