View Poll Results: How many live sparring rounds per year?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-10

2 15.38%
  • 10-50

2 15.38%
  • 50-100

1 7.69%
  • 100-500

2 15.38%
  • 500-1000

1 7.69%
  • 1000-2000

1 7.69%
  • 2000+

4 30.77%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sparring Frequency - Live Rounds

All right then. Wrapping up the poll to date it appears we have exactly 9 people on this forum who spar.

Somehow that doesn't inspire the confidence I was looking for. Now maybe the troll / haterz call and response derailed everything, but then again maybe not.

So I guess back to your regularly scheduled content of whether qi exists or not, whether or not the guys in the posted clips are doing "real wing chun", and who really spent the most amount of time with Ip Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    All right then. Wrapping up the poll to date it appears we have exactly 9 people on this forum who spar.

Somehow that doesn't inspire the confidence I was looking for. Now maybe the troll / haterz call and response derailed everything, but then again maybe not.
    No kidding.. scary, isn't it?

So I guess back to your regularly scheduled content of whether qi exists or not, whether or not the guys in the posted clips are doing "real wing chun", and who really spent the most amount of time with Ip Man.
    Haha, good point! Now we can finally go back to the talking 'wing chun'
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Check my facebook. I'm not posting up crap here. The numbers are average. Gustavo's tournaments in PHX are 700+ usually.
    cool, I'll look it up there!
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

i spar but seeing as its a wing chun thread didnt poll sorry

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    i spar but seeing as its a wing chun thread didnt poll sorry

Another unanticipated reason why people don't respond to these things. Perhaps people spar, but they don't feel that they are using WC per se. Hmmmm...

If only some one would have posted an operational definition.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Another unanticipated reason why people don't respond to these things. Perhaps people spar, but they don't feel that they are using WC per se. Hmmmm...

If only some one would have posted an operational definition.
    well since its in the wing chun forum, and he stated it was a question for the wing chun schools here.....i sort of got the idea it was aimed at those doing wing chun....crazy i know

If the term sparring is confusing...theres better thing to be doing that spending time on a forum.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by SAAMAG View Post
    If the term sparring is confusing...theres better thing to be doing that spending time on a forum.
    It's not about understanding sparring. It's about having a shared definition of sparring.

When someone starts comparing grappling sparring to upright sparring, it's fair to ask what they are getting at. Often, grapplers aren't really clear on what upright sparring entails. It has been my experience that grapplers don't put much stock in the light sparring.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    It's not about understanding sparring. It's about having a shared definition of sparring.

When someone starts comparing grappling sparring to upright sparring, it's fair to ask what they are getting at. Often, grapplers aren't really clear on what upright sparring entails. It has been my experience that grapplers don't put much stock in the light sparring.
    really, ok then and this is serious as im interested in this; Are you saying that upright sparring should be light for the majority of the time, and that grapplers dont put much stock in this type of light sparring?

really, ok then and this is serious as im interested in this; Are you saying that upright sparring should be light for the majority of the time, and that grapplers dont put much stock in this type of light sparring?
    I am not saying that sparring should be light most of the time, but reality dictates that you have to take what you can get. If you are the best heavy weight at your school, often that's about all that you can get.

Ok you said
    So if you don’t think grapplers put much stock in light sparring, then it follows you do put stock in it and see a value in it that you feel grapplers don’t see. Am I right?
    So what do you think grapplers are unclear about when it comes to upright sparring?

I am saying that grapplers usually don't know what they are talking about when it comes to training upright correctly which is why a lot of guys turned to grappling. Either decent upright wasn't available or they chose not to take advantage of it.

The point being, grapplers will often try to overlay their grappling training as a blueprint for upright training. Sure, there should be similarities... Athletics's training is athletics's training. However, they aren't precisely the same. The concussion limits how it has to be trained.

Then of course, we don't like to talk about it but life is a factor in the real world. Through high school, I hard sparred a few hours per week. That's a load of sparring. Then, my good training partners moved on so my opportunities were diminished. Eventually, I started college. Because I had to start applying myself to my studies, headaches all day were not working for me so I had to limit what I was doing. Then 50 to 70 percent is what I had to do.

I have heard it said by grapplers, "I train hard all the time and I have more skill on the ground than a person training upright can develop." Well maybe, but in terms of upright, we all work with the same set of limitations so I am not really sure what those kinds of comments mean.

So you are saying then grapplers state because they train hard all the time, they have more real skill than stand up fighters because stand up by its nature can’t be trained at 90- 100% all the time simply because of the nature of the injuries received.

And grapplers are incorrectly equating hard rolling with hard stand up sparring because the dangers are nowhere near the same? And that whilst grapplers in your experience equate light sparring with not being useful training, the reality is for stand up fighters the majority of their training will be light sparring simply because of the nature of the stand up arts and the facts of life getting in the way?

Would this be fair to say?

Would this be fair to say?
    I think that you have accurately understand what I am communicating.

Edit: It's why I am a little bit suspicious of OPs like the one here. Obviously, I am generalizing a bit, but I have seen these types of comments enough to rightly and fairly have suspicion.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 08-28-2012 at 02:19 AM.

Frost, I should add that I don't want to give guys a free pass on the hard sparring and knockout sessions. IMO, you can't consider yourself a credible upright fighter unless you have gone on some consistent runs with lots of hard sparring and hopefully a few fights under your belt.

As I have said, people should not have an instructor in an upright art unless they have fought at least one time in an open division full-contact event.