View Poll Results: How many live sparring rounds per year?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-10

2 15.38%
  • 10-50

2 15.38%
  • 50-100

1 7.69%
  • 100-500

2 15.38%
  • 500-1000

1 7.69%
  • 1000-2000

1 7.69%
  • 2000+

4 30.77%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Sparring Frequency - Live Rounds

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    I have in the 80s. It was a big deal to me then. Not so much now.
    I am going to say that this either didn't happen or you got destroyed. My money is on destroyed which sent you into grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    I am going to say that this either didn't happen or you got destroyed. My money is on destroyed which sent you into grappling.
    You must be projecting. What did you say - 20 or so smoker matches in the '90's?
    Just your terminology says it didn't happen. They called them "kickboxing" matches then. Also, the guys that were pros then didn't have many fights. I think the main guy I trained with was like 7-1 or something, had lost to Bill Wallace. So for you to have 20 fights that there were no record of magically to me sounds like BS.

I don't know any grapplers that have this view. Roger Gracie doesn't. Robert Drysdale doesn't. I don't.

Listen, all I was doing on this thread is presenting a basic general inquiry about ANY form of sparring. I guess reading my OP, I did exclude chi sau. IMO it's not free movement but more static. If someone does full free range movement chi sau then OK.

Light sparring is very useful, both in striking training and grappling. I wasn't excluding those sessions in my poll. In fact, if I had to gauge my MMA AND grappling sparring I would say in each, 1-2 hard sessions per week, with maybe 3-5 matches in a session, are as much as athletes can take for wear and tear on the body. Many of the rest of the sparring sessions are going to be lighter. In those lighter sessions you build repetition, technique, try and go for an approximation of the speed, and have less power. These concepts hold true for BOTH grappling and striking sparring.
    chill i was trying to understand where he was coming from, didnt say i agreed totally or even partially agreed, and i know you were including them in this poll any sane person would

Define Sparring?

When I say Wing Chun Sparring I mean a drill set. or traditional sparring where you are in close start with hands touching an one person intiates the fight an just go from there...With in the confides of this sparring. You utilize speed but ease back on the power...Because your not trying to knock each other out...of course you can still use head gear and mma gloves for padding.

But when i say Free Spar...I am thinking of starting at a distance and closing the gap into your in WC range...an from there once you make contact or intercept the bridge you go into wing chun sparring trying to press your opponent space and jam them so they can not disconnect or gain space or distance...But if a distance occurs you simply re-gain the centerline an bridge the gap again.

Both Free sparring and Traditional Wing Chun sparring involves both kicks, punches, palms strikes, sweeps, take downs, joint locks, stand up grappling...Of course there are no eye gougues or the arm and leg breaks or the magnificent dim mak employed...But you still have a large range of tools you can utlize ....

I You can do light sparring, and high intensity sparring with power dial back to not do injury to your partner...Dont hurt your sparring partner!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

teenage years we may have sparred several times a day so i can easily say 5000...Now i range between 50 to 700 in year...depending on the year an how many people im engaged with...
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    teenage years we may have sparred several times a day so i can easily say 5000...Now i range between 50 to 700 in year...depending on the year an how many people im engaged with...
    I'm calling BS on this. You're saying, as a teanager, you sparred 'easily' 5000 live rounds in one year?? So, you're saying you sparred an average of 13.5 'live rounds' each and every day? yeah, ok....
    No offense, but I've seen your 'camps' clips, I am thinking your ideas of 'sparring' is far different than what most sane people on this planet call it anyway, so who knows..
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 08-28-2012 at 03:24 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

He may mean total. I've got about 46,000 rounds over the past 30 years if that's the case.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    I'm calling BS on this. You're saying, as a teanager, you sparred 'easily' 5000 live rounds in one year?? So, you're saying you sparred an average of 13.5 'live rounds' each and every day? yeah, ok....
    No offense, but I've seen your 'camps' clips, I am thinking your ideas of 'sparring' is far different than what most sane people on this planet call it anyway, so who knows..
    hell in my high school days thats all we did was spar...because most of my friends werent WC guys...i only had one friend who did WC he was the only person i can do chi sau with....Of course cats on the street call it boxing...Boxing, Sparring, or what ever we faught others all the time...just being boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    hell in my high school days thats all we did was spar...because most of my friends werent WC guys...i only had one friend who did WC he was the only person i can do chi sau with....Of course cats on the street call it boxing...Boxing, Sparring, or what ever we faught others all the time...just being boys.
    I used to beat up my little brother a lot growing up. I guess I could round up my sparring sessions to include that.

I was kind of more interested in what people do currently in the context of training WCK. But at this point, anyone who wants to respond is fine with me.

I went through a period where I did 2 hours of medium contact sparring weekly, only doing hard when one of my partners was gearing up for a sanda comp. At the time I thought it was making me better - I know now I can take a punch, a kick, even get concussed and still fight reasonably effectively.

At my current school my teacher is holding back sparring until I have a certain skill set built, his logic being that anyone can "jump around like a monkey" you don't need WC for that. Once you learn the WC body frame and can hold on to it, then sparring can begin.

Not sure if I agree with the approach, but will update once I'm out of the first stage.

I used to beat up my little brother a lot growing up. I guess I could round up my sparring sessions to include that.

I was kind of more interested in what people do currently in the context of training WCK. But at this point, anyone who wants to respond is fine with me.
    With work and a girlfriend responsibilites i dont spar as much as i use too. Because i just dont have the time...if i can spar three times a week im doing good. At any rate Thanks for your opinion~

Some schools go with that approach because traditionally it saved them embarassment if they had a practioner who just couldnt fight...some people are natural fighters. An add WC to their arsenal they adapt it to their fighting ability. I like the approach where you start doing chi sau and light sparring on day one. AS you learn drills, forms and other things you spar and chi sau at end of each class.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    I went through a period where I did 2 hours of medium contact sparring weekly, only doing hard when one of my partners was gearing up for a sanda comp. At the time I thought it was making me better - I know now I can take a punch, a kick, even get concussed and still fight reasonably effectively.

At my current school my teacher is holding back sparring until I have a certain skill set built, his logic being that anyone can "jump around like a monkey" you don't need WC for that. Once you learn the WC body frame and can hold on to it, then sparring can begin.

Not sure if I agree with the approach, but will update once I'm out of the first stage.

You must be projecting. What did you say - 20 or so smoker matches in the '90's?
    Just your terminology says it didn't happen. They called them "kickboxing" matches then. Also, the guys that were pros then didn't have many fights. I think the main guy I trained with was like 7-1 or something, had lost to Bill Wallace. So for you to have 20 fights that there were no record of magically to me sounds like BS.
    D E S T R O Y E D
    End of story bro. lol! Tell yourself what you want. You can't whip your way out of a wet paper sack.

I might have someone your speed. My niece needs a sparring partner. I doubt that you can take her, but it will be close. After all, she has sparring experience that rivals anything that you have ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    D E S T R O Y E D
    End of story bro. lol! Tell yourself what you want. You can't whip your way out of a wet paper sack.

I might have someone your speed. My niece needs a sparring partner. I doubt that you can take her, but it will be close. After all, she has sparring experience that rivals anything that you have ever done.
    Sure. Why don't you call her from your mom's basement where you live and set it up.

D E S T R O Y E D
    He just competed and scored a place in a tournament where people F I G H T, he trains accordingly to F I G H T, and it appears that your main skill level is your ability to T Y P E.

Id suggest that you appear to everyone here, from your poor attempts of debate and lack of wit, to be a K N O B.

Just thought id highlight a few key points that have bubbled to the surface since this thread started