Thread: The Origins of Flight

The Origins of Flight

I've been wondering why there are so many Asian film martial artists imbued with the power of flight? Or at least limited short duration flight? Why can some fly and others cannot?

My father who served in Korea in the 60's also said that the power of flight was very prevalent with Korean hero's as well. Where does this power come from mythologically speaking? Is it related to spirits either the liquid kind or supernatural? Asian angels or Kirin or perhaps from Dragons?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

I always thought it was a fantasy depiction of ching gong (body-lightness gong). I suppose some are also supposed to be "saints" and able to levitate. If the latter is the case, then Asian (or more accurately, Chinese) legends are not alone in this. The West has some, too, like St. Francis of Assisi, etc. Also, the West has Mary Poppins, The Flying Nun, Peter Pan, Superman, etc., in entertainment.

And notice that, although some recent Japanese movies depict flying ninja-type characters (influenced by Chinese films), traditionally, flying heroes are not a part of Japanese traditions.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-26-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I always thought it was a fantasy depiction of ching gong (body-lightness gong).
    That would be my guess as well. Even the Tibetans have legends of people who gained light bodies through training. Those with advanced mastering of the technique must wear heavy chains to keep them from floating into the sky.