Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buddha Fist (Tai Chi)

I have the notes and vid of myself performing it badly (done right after I learned it to preserve for practice).

I actually really enjoy this form and would love to know more of its origins as it has a very unique take on internal martial arts.

I know that USSD has a Buddha fist form but havent compared he 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    I think any answer to that question will end up with speculation. I'm no historian.

Of course, maybe that's not the right translation. Here's the Chinese characters as I understand it. Anybody out there who can translate?
    There is nothing about 太慈拳(taiciquan) on google except for a link to Shaolin do's curriculum but there is a lot about fojiaquan(佛家拳) and fohanquan(佛汉拳) . BTW what does is it have to do with tai chi/taijiquan(太极拳)?
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 08-29-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    If you look in the SD thread its there. I would like to let sean tell it because he told me a few years back. didnt surprise me.
    I did?? Hmm... ok. Don't doubt but definitely don't remember.

I suggest SEARCH FUNCTION fu....
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfujunky View Post
    I know that USSD has a Buddha fist form but havent compared he 2.
    I wouldn't read to much into it.

There are certain names in CMA that reappear everywhere... Buddha <insert body part>, Immortals <do something>, Lohan <something or another>, Black Tiger <does mean things>, etc....

So everybody gets in on it.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    what source is this from? if you send me a better copy I have translator on my computer. i tried but the pic isnt clear enough to get reading.

It is a Buddhist Form of Tai Chi not Taoist, all others are "Taoist Arts" not sure about Chen Style...hmmm.

I have heard it also called Damo's / Bodhi dharma Tai Chi.

these are the Lyrics for Buddha Fist AKA.....Tai Ci Quan -Fo Jia Quan - Fo Han chuan or Tai Tse Chien

1. Giant Bird Spreads It’s Wings

2. Immortal Salutes the Buddha

3. Old Hermit Asks for Donation

4. Buddha Asks Heaven for Mercy (Prays to Heaven)

5. Preying Mantis Climbs the Pole

6. Turn the Body Smack the Lotus

7. Beautiful Lady Looks at the Moon

8. Catch the Moon, Kick and Ride the Cloud

9. Swallow Prays to Heaven

10. Preying Mantis stretches It’s Leg

11. Swallow Plays in the Water

12. Goddess of Mercy (Kuan Yin) Picks up the Mantis

13. Kuan Yin Releases (lets go of) the Mantis

14. White Monkey Salutes the Buddha

15. Buddha Stirs the Ocean

16. Buddha Subdues the Ocean

17. Swallow Smacks the Lotus

18. Swallow Flies into the Sky

19. Legs Fly (in or into) to the Edge of Heaven

20. Thousand Eyes of the Preying Mantis

21. Young Lad Salutes Kuan Yin

22. Wheeling Palm Hands, Single Whip

23. Inside Smash, Multiple Wheeling Palms

24. Immortal Monkey Sun Wu Kong Shrinks His Body

there are 3 or 4 generic moves, the rest are all made up.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Of course, maybe that's not the right translation. Here's the Chinese characters as I understand it. Anybody out there who can translate?
    The Chinese characters are "Tai Ci quan" not Tai Chi Chuan / Taijiquan.

The "Tai" can be: extreme, big, large
    The "Ci" can be: kind, benevolent, charitable

So it would chime with being from the Buddhist school, but has absolutely nothing to do with Taijiquan. Someone has ignorantly linked the two because they sound/transliterate the same.

One of these days people should start using taiji instead of tai chi. That chi has already caused too much confusion. A few days ago someone told me that tai chi means extreme chi energy.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    I wouldn't read to much into it.

There are certain names in CMA that reappear everywhere... Buddha <insert body part>, Immortals <do something>, Lohan <something or another>, Black Tiger <does mean things>, etc....

So everybody gets in on it.
    yeah, the USSD Budddha fist form is nothing like it. and I mean nothing, definately karatefu.

Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    One of these days people should start using taiji instead of tai chi. That chi has already caused too much confusion. A few days ago someone told me that tai chi means extreme chi energy.
    sometimes i get tired of explaining what taijiquan means to people and that its actually a traditional form of brutal chinese martial arts. i still do it though because i cant stand ignorance. what i've found works fastest is just show them some external long fist then some chen style fajin up and close with the same technique and be like see, same thing. its about fighting. and then i slap the granola out of their mouth
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    sometimes i get tired of explaining what taijiquan means to people and that its actually a traditional form of brutal chinese martial arts. i still do it though because i cant stand ignorance. what i've found works fastest is just show them some external long fist then some chen style fajin up and close with the same technique and be like see, same thing. its about fighting. and then i slap the granola out of their mouth
    that's badass dude.

Awesome

I lost my actual notes for this Form about 15 years ago, mine were recreated. **** I wish I had those. Fu chia chien.

Fu Chia Chien Tai Che Chien

Ta Hung Chan Tse
    Sien Yen Pai Fu
    Lao Chan Chiu Huan
    Fu Yen PaiTien

Mfi Yen Wan Ye
    Chua Ye ten Yih

Tang Lang Ti Tju
    Yen Tse Chao Sui

Pai Yen Pai Fu
    Lao Fu Sang Hai

Yen Tse Pai Lien
    Yen Tse Hue Tien

Tang Lang Chein Yen
    Tung Tse Pai Kwang Yin

Li Tue Lien Huan Chang
    Yen Sien Su Sen
    Sou Se

I took out some lines but those are the notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    My understanding is that "tai chi" and "taiji" are equivalent but the former is the romanization in the Wades-Giles system vs. the latter being the romanization in the Pinyin system. If I'm wrong here please correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfujunky View Post
    Fu Chia Chien Tai Che Chien

Ta Hung Chan Tse
    Sien Yen Pai Fu
    Lao Chan Chiu Huan
    Fu Yen PaiTien

Mfi Yen Wan Ye
    Chua Ye ten Yih

Tang Lang Ti Tju
    Yen Tse Chao Sui

Pai Yen Pai Fu
    Lao Fu Sang Hai

Yen Tse Pai Lien
    Yen Tse Hue Tien

Tang Lang Chein Yen
    Tung Tse Pai Kwang Yin

Li Tue Lien Huan Chang
    Yen Sien Su Sen
    Sou Se

I took out some lines but those are the notes.
    Thanks for posting...very cool.

My understanding is that "tai chi" and "taiji" are equivalent but the former is the romanization in the Wades-Giles system vs. the latter being the romanization in the Pinyin system. If I'm wrong here please correct me.

Thanks for posting...very cool.

Wade-Giles is a very bad and outdated romanization system because it represents different sounds with the same letters and also represents the same sound with different letters. Also many people don't use it correctly and ignore the apostrophes which causes a lot of confusion. So you should write "t'ai chi" because "tai" in wade-giles would be "dai".

Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    Wade-Giles is a very bad and outdated romanization system because it represents different sounds with the same letters and also represents the same sound with different letters. Also many people don't use it correctly and ignore the apostrophes which causes a lot of confusion. So you should write "t'ai chi" because "tai" in wade-giles would be "dai".
    Very helpful, thanks!

I'm trying to slowly but surely adopt Pinyin since Wade-Giles is outdated but some habits die hard

Then would it be "tai ji quan" or "t'ai ji quan?"