Thread: Fighting with wing chun

Fighting with wing chun

How of many of you actually go outside the Kwoon and mix it up with Non-Wing Chun guys?

For instance has anybody ever went to another form of fighting like MMA or Muay Thai or Boxing gym and tried using pure Wing Chun principles when sparring? What happen? What worked? What didnt worked?

Also do you ever box or spar or play fight with non-martial artist who just got street fighting skills. In other words do you ever throw hands in a friendly match with people on the street that you may know? If so same questions for the WC how does the priciples measure up?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

I teach and train/workout in a large boxing gym....

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    For instance has anybody ever went to another form of fighting like MMA or Muay Thai or Boxing gym and tried using pure Wing Chun principles when sparring?
    Curious if you have done this yourself, and if so where and what was the outcome?
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

I'll bite.
    Since I had a few years of training my experiences were mixed.
    If I played with other WC guys I did very well.

When playing with other systems it varied on my opponent. In all honesty a tall very athletic Shaolin long fist style guy gave me the most problem.

I feel sorry for a Bagua guy but I don't think he really was a fighting guy. Thaught he was but I dont think he was.

Before WC I fought a couple of Karate guys and supposed Muy Tai guys but again, I dont think they were really the fighting type.

After WC I had a few times to use WC against street thugish type guys and once with a punk rocker lunatic. All these guys I would say are the fighting type and every time worked great for me.

What works? Foot work, Strat, very few techniques, my favorite was Po-Pi. Ya that one was awesome.
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

Ok, now I'll bite

Po Pai? Really? A double palm strike is what you found to be the most advantageous in a "real fight"?

Here's what I say to that: I'm punching myself in the face
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 08-30-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Hahahaha!!!! That is hilarious!!!!

Ya it was pretty awesome. You probably had to be there to appreciate it. In print it sounds kinnda gay.

If I had a yoga ball and a camera I would post a clip.
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

Not last night.

I was going with a heavyweight - 275 lbs. who had a decent amount of skill. I had a layoff from doing the grappling tournament while I focused on gi grappling.

I got lit up like a Xmas tree. I don't care what I was using. Punching. Owned. Heavy kicks to the body. Owned. I got some penetration with inside punches, landed a few. Then I got completely dropped by a body kick and was done that round. Dude had a head movement like a cobra - mesmerizing. I had to ignore it and focus on the chest. My hand / upper gate - nowhere near a cover. Movement was sloppy. Punches were late. Kicks were blocked.

I definitely was not the hammer last night. I was the nail.

I don't care what I use. If you limit yourself, you loose.

You win fights with heart, habits, strategies, physical conditions etc. Techniques come last.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    I don't care what I use. If you limit yourself, you loose.

You win fights with heart, habits, strategies, physical conditions etc. Techniques come last.
    After you have knocked your opponent down, you can stand on his dead body, perform your chain punches, and prove that you are a wing chuner.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-30-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Curious if you have done this yourself, and if so where and what was the outcome?
    Frankly when i first started out with WC thats all i had to spar and box with was non-WC guys.

I sparred mostly Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai guys and street boxers.

But i also ran into a karate guy, a traditional boxer, and wrestler who for some odd reason try to fight me stand up...

the people i had the most difficulty with were those who had been training since they were young.

I also sparred Baqua and Tai Chi and Chi Tai Chi.

Aloong with your occasional street brawler who juust wants to throw hands with you to see if your kung fu really works.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Real Talk you can't win them all. Thats so true...I remember i sparred this five animal guy when i was younger i got owned twice with his ass...His strikes were too fast for me then i couldnt see them coming. An another time he got a kick on me that floored me to the ground. I mean he got me right in the diaphram....knock the win right out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Not last night.

I was going with a heavyweight - 275 lbs. who had a decent amount of skill. I had a layoff from doing the grappling tournament while I focused on gi grappling.

I got lit up like a Xmas tree. I don't care what I was using. Punching. Owned. Heavy kicks to the body. Owned. I got some penetration with inside punches, landed a few. Then I got completely dropped by a body kick and was done that round. Dude had a head movement like a cobra - mesmerizing. I had to ignore it and focus on the chest. My hand / upper gate - nowhere near a cover. Movement was sloppy. Punches were late. Kicks were blocked.

I definitely was not the hammer last night. I was the nail.