Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Breathing in Combat.

Wing Chun Breathing in Combat.

A great deal is written on wing chun breathing in meditation and hei gong. Less dissertation is dedicated to techniques of VT breathing while in the fray. I would like to hear y'alls comments and opinions on the use of breathing while striking, recovering, at different ranges and so on. Is there any common ground with the breathing techniques of western boxing? Other types of kung fu?
    Thanks gang
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

From experience I beat many guys with good cardio from running
    and sprinting regularly. Nothing to do with secret sauce, road work.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    A great deal is written on wing chun breathing in meditation and hei gong. Less dissertation is dedicated to techniques of VT breathing while in the fray. I would like to hear y'alls comments and opinions on the use of breathing while striking, recovering, at different ranges and so on. Is there any common ground with the breathing techniques of western boxing? Other types of kung fu?
    Thanks gang
    Exhale when you strike, if possible. Breath in through the nose out through the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    Thanks gang
    Where has it been written??

You breath naturally. No emphasis is placed on breathing in Wing Chun.

You basically have 3 types of energy systems, one that works with high output and short duration, what that deals with low output for long durations, and one that deals with moderate duration and output.

So if you were running for example, you'd work your aerobic system with long jogs. You'd work your anaerobic system with top speed sprints for say 10-12 seconds or doing tabata's. And you'd work your mid level stuff with a round of moderately hard strikes on the bag. There's many many other methods...but for breathing in a fight...the best thing you can do is be in shape.

There's no special breathing during a fight.
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 08-22-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Hopefully it goes without saying that in any fight, no matter your style, you do not breath in while taking a hit. A quick exhale while being hit or hitting is always ideal. As well being able to regulate your breathing, as developed while training, is important to engery conservation and relaxation.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    You should know the percentage amout of air remain in your lung whether it's 3/4, 2/3, 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4. This way you don't need a full inhale but partial inhale. A full inhale is the most vulnerable moment in combat.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-22-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    Where has it been written??

You breath naturally. No emphasis is placed on breathing in Wing Chun.
    I'm glad it's so plain to you

I would argue that natural breathing is the beginning, but to better hone your fighting. In through the nose out through the mouth is idea.

I read somewhere that breathing through the nose "opens" the lungs more allowing for deaper breathing. So on that ground the research matches the conventional wisdom. Don't ask me to look up the article though.

Avoid open mouth breathing, slack jaw equals easy ko .

personally i breath in and out through my nose at most times, but exhale through my mouth quickly when executing a strike or throw or being hit.

and what youknowwho mentions is a great point
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

In the fray merely uses what you've supposedly taught yourself through chi gung - using the breath effectively and in tandem with the motion. Less effort means less oxygen used means more reserves you have for the fight.

Intense cardio and sparring should teach you how to gauge how much you have left and how to dig deep when you have none left. That's why I'm a big fan of tabada drills and crossfit.

YouknowWho's point is very salient as well - always know how much gas you have left in the tank and how much each technique costs you.

If you're thinking about how to breathe in a fight, you're handicapping yourself. Your attention should have a broad external focus.

That said, I agree with most of the other comments regarding training to absorb impact and working the cardio intervals and sprints (mainly so you can run TF away really fast)
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

No one should be 'thinking' about breathing when sparring or fighting. Breathing technique comes as trained, just as any other. But, IMO, its a very important topic to cover early and persist with consistantly until you can breath properly. I have seen too many people breath in when taking a body shot.

We all know the perils of 'thinking' about technique. Awareness is a slightly different think, though. I am interested in our aproach to breathing in and out while striking/defending. Lin Siu Dai Dar makes for unique breath rhythm. I notice that breath cadence seems different in chi sau than full sparring and fighting. Wing chun can and does inhale while striking, while many martial arts suggest avoiding this.
    As an intercept art, VT tends to catch opponents on the exhale. Counter fighters tend to catch their pray more on the inhale getting the value of this vulnerability. Is this true?
    I see some VT players snort punch like boxers do. Most do not.
    Last edited by Happy Tiger; 08-23-2012 at 09:07 AM.