Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speed and Accuracy?

Not speed, timing. Speed that is productive is just the by product of good timing. There is such thing as moving too fast into an opening that presents itself ruining your follow up timing. Speed is only relative to the timing of the opponent. If you focus on it, you'll lose many good opportunities.

Strength is also irrelevant in and of itself. In WC the goal is to maximize whatever 'power' you do have to equal or exceed 100% of killing/knockout power. So, say, if a regular punch for you regardless of your strength equals 60%. Using your body with the punch now, say adds another 60%. And then add pulling into your punch, say adds another 60%, you're now at 180%. Well over the 100% needed. Of course you have to have the other attributes in place like distance, timing, and so forth. So, hypothetically, at the very least, you only 'need' to be as strong as 33% of the 100% required to neutralize that particular opponent.

I know I've said it before, but, while most people regardless of lineage, understand using the body, the focus on pulling your lead hand when attacking 'will' increase your power due to balancing the structure of your upper body. Try doing the regular punches in your mother stance and focus on pulling the arm back more than pushing the rear hand out and you'll see what I mean. Also, when practicing this way, keep the punching arm bent only as far as you extend out in the first section of Sil lum Tao. Fully extending your arm out is only for development of your ligaments. Now this pulling motion can be used with any motion even if ever so slightly. You wouldn't think something like a tan punch would have a pulling motion, but it does because proper use of the WC triangle involves the balancing of the triangle. Just remember though, active/passive rules still apply when redirecting force but anytime you're attacking, which hopefully is the majority of the time, you have to have that pulling attribute to maximize your power.....

Nope my friend it was either in the Kuit Kuen...that said when fighting someone stronger than you...use speed.

I agree with most of what you said...but im am speaking in terms of not neglecting good attributes...

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    I've never hear that in WC. Who told you that, Stan?

Again, while speed can beat strength, I'm not placing my money on that bet - What if you opponent is stronger AND faster than you? I guess in your case you're just screwed yeah? You can't always hope you are faster than the next guy, you have to plan for the opposite to be true. And in WC, it is superior structure, position, leverage and control of time/space that gives the best chance to beat a faster or stronger guy.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"