Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Stiff and Rigid?

And I'll put it this way...if I was those guys on those videos...I wouldn't post anything...ever.

It's not the fact that they're stationary per say, or that they have trouble speaking English, or that they are out of shape, can't punch, don't practice in a manner conducive to actual combat, have poor fighting posture...oh...wait....yes it is.

Carry on then.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

I would leave alone how people talk. That can come of as pretty racist. More generally, it's just not a classy thing to say.

While it may not seem classy, nothing I said wasn't accurate. But racist?! One of my best friends is black, and he speaks very intelligently. I have another close friend who's white who can't articulate hardly at all. Nothing to do with race...stop assuming and more specifically implying things.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by SAAMAG View Post
    While it may not seem classy, nothing I said wasn't accurate. But racist?! One of my best friends is black, and he speaks very intelligently. I have another close friend who's white who can't articulate hardly at all. Nothing to do with race...stop assuming and more specifically implying things.
    I was mainly referring to the perception that you can give off by saying certain things. Take my advice or leave it. It is up to you. Certain actions have their own rewards and punishments.

Edit: I don't think that you are a racist. It's just a little friendly advice.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    I would leave alone how people talk. That can come of as pretty racist. More generally, it's just not a classy thing to say.
    The only reason you are saying this is you assume it is based on the color of the people's skin in the clip because of how YOU see them, and then judging others' comments accordingly. That stinks of racism on your end.

I was mainly referring to the perception that you can give off by saying certain things. Take my advice or leave it. It is up to you. Certain actions have their own rewards and punishments.

Edit: I don't think that you are a racist. It's just a little friendly advice.
    Telling people how to talk isn't friendly, lil guy.

His comment was no more racist than your assumption that it was based on how you view the people in the clips. I think most of us here just saw 2 guys doing bad WC.
    BTW, how one talks is typically either cultural or eduactional (or lack of) - has nothing to do with race, so let it go before you make yourself look even more foolish that you already do
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 09-08-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    The only reason you are saying this is you assume it is based on the color of the people's skin in the clip because of how YOU see them, and then judging others' comments accordingly. That stinks of racism on your end.

Telling people how to talk isn't friendly, lil guy.

His comment was no more racist than your assumption that it was based on how you view the people in the clips. I think most of us here just saw 2 guys doing bad WC.
    BTW, how one talks is typically either cultural or eduactional (or lack of) - has nothing to do with race, so let it go before you make yourself look even more foolish that you already do
    Well... It's obvious that that you lack a college education.

When I was a kid, I got guys to chase me and drilled them
    Enough said
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Your claim to fame is going to a smoker in the 80's and getting destroyed. It's not a brand of WC. It's just something that I did a lot when I was a teen fighting bigger stronger opponents. When Victor posted here, we talked a lot about this because he was a small guy. If you conception of WC is the clash and grapple, you probably loose against anyone who is the least bit heavier than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Ah, now I get it. Little man's syndrome. Do you wear platform shoes and drive a truck with a lift kit on it too?
    LOL - you're killing me Dave (Wayfaring)! Thanks for helping make working on a Saturday a bit more fun
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 09-08-2012 at 03:20 PM.

I don't think Dave meant anything by it. He's right in that it was a little tasteless to say something like that, as it doesn't have any direct link to the viability of one's wing chun skill. Indirectly though, it does give insight as to the general intelligence of an individual. If one cannot grasp something as fundamental as verbal speech to relay thoughts---how can they understand and relay understanding of the physicality's of combat?

Now I'm sure that the fellas in the video are decent people. They probably go to church, pay their bills, help others when they can, train with a self-perceived fervor that rivals an MMA fighter...and all that stuff.

But I keep thinking of that saying when I watch this video: "Better to let someone think you're an idiot than open your mouth and confirm it."
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 09-08-2012 at 01:19 PM.

wow this post has been derailed...

Thanks Humble guy for your humble post...

An imperial Tai Chi thanks your on Point! i agree with your philosphy concerning fighting....When you fight its not time to wait an defensive...its time to move in for the kill....
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Well Tiger Let me address your questions:

When i say westernern i mean those who ancestors originated from the west...My people originated from the east...Not Europe...So i am no way an westerner...

AS FOR THE GUY IN THE CLIP...He learned from a guy named bersied...forgive the spelling of his name...An Bernsied teacher is Robert McField...i will make some post of their beginner videos soon...

The guys in the clip are Stan and his Son...they are from saint louis...Missouri...

As for the demo...it looked rather non-useful and non-combative...I mean its a demo so i guess its cool. But i just dont see it as realistic...

I been doing WC since i was 16...im 35 now....As for Yip Man...im simply pointing out the differences...Yip and Main land have both weakness and strong points. Which is great in itself...The Yip man Wooden dummy is great for uprooting power....ne way...its not to put it down just point out differences...sorry if your offended...my apology....

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up dude but I have seen these clips before.

I'm always open to peoples opinions of what I do, especially since I put a small troupe up in such a public demo I guess you could say I'm asking for trouble lol! And I see totally what you're saying but I don't want to get into all the negativity anymore to be honest.

Personally It looks quite clear to me that the guys in the clips learnt from Youtube and I have nothing further to say about that!!

But IF they learnt that stuff from a Sifu?? They could have copied this instead as at least this dude looks like he knows what he is doing and why?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDpx5...eature=related

Well, yes that is me and my kung fu bro taking the guys out to demonstrate what we do and how we train. Sorry it doesn't conform to your own ideas of what you think Wing Chun is, but from looking through your clips I have to say I am quite pleased that it doesn't.

You are a westerner right? From Loiusville or something? Or at least the guys in the clips are right? Your post here wreaks of some superiority complex about being from a non-Ip Man lineage.

How long have you learnt Wing Chun exactly and from who? Does your own Sifu (if you have one) also support your attitude towards Ip Mans western influence?
    Forgive me for digressing!!

Good olde UK dude. Birmingham in fact, at The Martial Arts Show. Supporting the establishment of a new group of like minded guys called the British Traditional Chinese Martial Arts Association - linking many older systems under one umbrella.

I prefer to listen to their expert opinions and advice rather than the ranting of some random dude overseas who promotes clips of guys who look like they can't even walk...
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

wow your good at posting Kung Fu Stans videos...wow you must really be watching his videos learning WC from him...Good good i hope he makes you better....

Personally i dont keep videos i dont like on hand to reguirtate to discuss over and over again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    LoneTiger, forget everything this guy is saying.
    This is coming from the same guy that thinks that the following clips are representitive of top notch training and good, 'strong' punches & attacks. He'll probably even tell you they represent the 'good flow' that he is referring too!
    (These are some clips of guys yoshi occasionally trains with that are in his same lineage and also live in St. Louis, of which he holds in high regards as 'good fighters'. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVXH9f1WMbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nJb3...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaaWg...3&feature=plcp

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    wow your good at posting Kung Fu Stans videos...wow you must really be watching his videos learning WC from him...Good good i hope he makes you better....

Personally i dont keep videos i dont like on hand to reguirtate to discuss over and over again!!!

The issue with JPinAZ and many others are having is your constant rant of your superior WC knowledge. The videos are to prove the point ... which went over your head ... once again

If memory serves me, YOU yourself had posted similar videos of Stan The Man awhile back, which end up in an long winded thread.

And if Yoshi is going to come here and tear apart another person's video, a baseline of some clips of what he thinks is 'good' WC training is only fair (which is why I posted those gawd-aweful ones of his clown boy stan)

Okay I figured I'd wait to way in on this.

Stiff is not good. Stiff means you're using too much muscle and in the wrong place which means you can be drawn in, pushed out, and redirected very easily.

My bong sau arm is relaxed but you can't punch through it. It's strong because the structure is good but not because I use muscle.

Now there os an element of moving to find the holes in an opponent's defences but it doesn't mean you should be slipping around like a snake. You keep good structure and if theirs is bad enough you can strike right through it... Do so. There is also blending with and avoiding strikes so powerful you cannot deflect through structure but again you have to keep as good structure as possible and not flit about.

Muscle = stiff
    Structure = strong

Knowing when to use each yields success.