Thread: Two man Drills: Alive or Dead?

Two man Drills: Alive or Dead?

Are your two man drills Alive or Dead?

Meanings

Dead: Basically just routine that you can do with your eyes closed with out consciously applying it correctly or with timing...

Alive: Is when you do a drill based off the energy of the other person, timing is intuned with your partner, its not a routine follow the motions drill its a reactive and proactive drill. You don't know when your opponent is going to feed you but when he does you react accordingly!!!

Are your drills Alive or Dead?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

Meanings

Dead: Basically just routine that you can do with your eyes closed with out consciously applying it correctly or with timing...

Alive: Is when you do a drill based off the energy of the other person, timing is intuned with your partner, its not a routine follow the motions drill its a reactive and proactive drill. You don't know when your opponent is going to feed you but when he does you react accordingly!!!

Two man drills are dead. But they point to something greater...
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

Meanings

I feel that "aliveness" is a hard thing to measure or look for in something like 2-man drilling. I'd rather call it "awareness." I say that in the sense that any two man drill should almost literally be a risk for anyone who is doing in a half-a$$ed way. Couch mentioned that they point to something greater, which is a great way of saying it. Also it depends on the "level" of training

For ex:

Chong Choi'ing against another partner's chong choi is fairly simple (for me it was the first drill i ever learned), but that doesn't mean it should be done with weak intentions. I do know what's going to happen throughout the drill, but each punch from both sides should be constantly fighting for the center at the basic level and the energy should be strong so that sinking in YJKYM is vital to simply do the drill. But the "awareness" aspect of such a drill increases over time when the drill also includes either person in the drill to start switching into other drills at random. Once other drills come into play, more "awareness" is trained when various side-switches are added. And even further when footwork is training.

So, I wouldn't say the drills are necessarily alive to the extent of sparring (obviously), but they def require one to be sensitive to the other person's energy and what happens once the drill starts isn't necessarily as predictable as when it was initially taught.
    Last edited by EternalSpring; 09-10-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...