Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: In Kunming

This is the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Gowgee View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Shaolin Dan!
    My pleasure! Here's some more.

So this is the end. Tomorrow I am flying home. It feels like a dream, but it's finally here. Hard to realize. I don't think it will really sink in until I've touched down in Boston. But this is it (for now).
    I've been enjoying Beijing. It's a hip and happening place. Lots to see and do, great food, good nightlife, lots of shopping--a different China than I've seen so far. In some ways it's a lot like Taiwan or Hong Kong, only dirtier.
    I couldn't live here, too many crowds and too much pollution, but it's a great place to visit. The pollution is funny, some days are fine--yesterday was clear blue and beautiful--and other days I don't even want to go outside.
    Well, there was a lot to see here, I definitely can't post pictures of everything, but here are some of the highlights...(keep in mind, these are highlights for me--a lot of people think the Lama Temple is just fantastic, but I've spent so much time in temples this year, that it just didn't rate for me.)
    I don't think many people go to see Dongyue Temple, an old Taoist temple in Beijing, but this was nice for me. Another temple, yes, but different. For one thing, it's cheap. Also it's not crowded. Had all these little chambers full of statues of the gods and semi-divine beings in charge of various realms. Cute.
    Attachment 7741

The Forbidden City was cool. There's a ton to see there, but summer vacation just isn't the right time to go. Way too crowded. Could spend all day there, but after two hours of dealing with the crowds, I was done.
    Attachment 7742

The Summer Palace was a highlight for me. Really beautiful grounds and tons to see. Also, even though it's crowded, the grounds are big enough that you can get way from everyone at least some of the time.
    Attachment 7743

Also checked out the ruins of the old Summer Palace. They're in a really beautiful park and it's on the way back to the city from the Summer Palace, so it was worth seeing, but not too exciting. the ruins are now a playground--China cracks me up.
    Attachment 7744

Saw four of the zodiac heads in the Poly Art Museum. They say they hope to collect the rest--wonder if they helped fund CZ12. Anyway, the pictures didn't come out good, but I saw Pig, Monkey, Tiger, and Ox...

The absolute highlight was definitely the Great Wall. I did not go to Badaling (the most visited section of the wall), but instead signed up for a tour that went to a 6km hike on a less traveled section of the wall. It was great! One of the things that I've realized on this trip is that the best times I have are when I go for a walk somewhere pretty outside--not something I need to be on the other side of the world for.
    Attachment 7745

Anyway, it's been a fantastic year, but I'm glad it's over. Next time I post I'll be home!

Ahhhh Beijing.

Those photos bring me right back (and I haven't spent any significant time there in over a decade now ).

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    I don't think many people go to see Dongyue Temple, an old Taoist temple in Beijing, but this was nice for me. Another temple, yes, but different. For one thing, it's cheap. Also it's not crowded. Had all these little chambers full of statues of the gods and semi-divine beings in charge of various realms. Cute.
    Love those demon pics. Chinese demons are my fav. This is how I visualize most of the forum members here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Back!

Well, I'm home! Just got in yesterday morning. A bit jet-lagged and out of it, but it's good to be back. Bagels, cream cheese, and lox and Anchor and Shipyard beer and drinkable tap water and decent coffee and clear air and youtube and... It's the little things in life that make all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Those photos bring me right back (and I haven't spent any significant time there in over a decade now ).

Love those demon pics. Chinese demons are my fav. This is how I visualize most of the forum members here.
    Totally! You can even see that the one in the middle is typing on an invisible keyboard.

forum members = chinese demons

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    Totally! You can even see that the one in the middle is typing on an invisible keyboard.
    Actually, all the middle three look like they could typing away virulently. A little photoshop and this could be our next KFM forum meme.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Actually, all the middle three look like they could typing away virulently. A little photoshop and this could be our next KFM forum meme.
    Shhh! Don't tempt Ross to come back and post that naked pic of himself with your head again. Ickk!!

Back

Not actually in Kunming right now(though I'm using it as a homebase here) but a few years ago this thread served as my China travelogue, might as well keep things tidy, even if my old photos are gone.
    Floated down the Li River today from Guilin to Yangshuo. Pretty awesome. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  100.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  100.7 KB

Back in Kunming. Yangshuo and the Li River were incredibly beautiful. But what the pictures don't show is how hot and humid it was there. Started pouring sweat whenever I left the air conditioned room. It's great to be back in the Kunming weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Kunming continues to grow, with new high rises in the ourskirts, and new high end shopping malls downtown. Burger King has arrived to join the well established McDonalds and KFC.
    However, much of Kunming's charm remains intact. The weather is temperate, the air quality remains among the best of China's large cities, and the pace of life is as slow and friendly as in any city of several million I've ever been to. In Green Lake Park, the people sing and dance, and admire the blooming lotus flowers. "Improvements" to the bird and flower market area progress at a blessedly slow pace. Many of the original structures I thought I'd seen the last of yet remain untouched.
    The comfort of Kunming continues to support a thriving expat scene which caters to each other's needs. Craft beer has come to Kunming!

In Dali now. Was probably my favorite place to hang out for a bit last time I was in China, so I decided to come back. Just chilling out here for five days. It's nice. The combination of old town and beautiful mountains makes it really nice. Nice enough to ignore the heavy tourism.
    My first stop this morning was the temple to General Guan. Was pleased to find a small class of novices learning staff from their teacher there. A good place to train gong fu.
    Trying to upload a nice photo, but it's taking forever. Chinese wifi. :/
    May have to do my picture posting after the trip is over.
    Anyway, it's **** pretty.

There we go! View from atop the city wall.

Went down to Erhail Lake yesterday. Very pretty. The walk back up to Dali old city was really nice too. Walking down country lanes and seeing rural China up close. Usually end up just driving by these scenes on the way to a new city. Heading back to Kunming today for a final farewell.

Well, that's it for China this year. In Bangkok now for a couple days, then a few days in Bali, and then back home. Four weeks in China flew by. I will miss it, but I will be back. They are giving Americans a 10 year visa now. Amazing.
    Surprised no one commented on that last picture. Really has gotten quiet here.