Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Simply Ignore Them (is that so hard..?)

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

Simply Ignore Them (is that so hard..?)

yeah, I know, it's like picking a scab, or that invisible splinter that you have to just keep on touching...
    Every time there is a discussion, there is always some troll that derails the thread.
    It's not so much their comments, but the fact that people start addressing them and then get pulled into their little drama.
    So let's simply agree that the next time one of these guys (I don't even know their handles..they're really not that important to me that they have a name) starts in, whether it is about dissing TCMA, or chi-sao, or TCM, or anything, just leave it, and continue with the thread.
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    yeah, I know, it's like picking a scab, or that invisible splinter that you have to just keep on touching...
    Every time there is a discussion, there is always some troll that derails the thread.
    It's not so much their comments, but the fact that people start addressing them and then get pulled into their little drama.
    So let's simply agree that the next time one of these guys (I don't even know their handles..they're really not that important to me that they have a name) starts in, whether it is about dissing TCMA, or chi-sao, or TCM, or anything, just leave it, and continue with the thread.
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
    +1

The best way to deal is to continue the actual discussion vs. responding to them. Then their trolling gets buried.

[...]

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
    Just reply with this pic

There are two kinds of trolls on this forum:

1) The people who perpetuate qigong myths (except they're trolling the entire MA world, not just this forum).

2) The inadvertent trolls who talk about using fancy techniques when they've never trained against a resisting opponent. I say "inadvertent" because they aren't technically trolling since they believe they are telling the truth.

Everyone else is cool. Even group #2 up there is cool cuz some of them are at least open minded about their training.

Group #1 is maximum trolling.

"If Ashida wished you to know his real name, I am sure he would write to you and tell you himself." --Danny Sainty

"So, you supposed martial artists, what are you trining for? Who are you training to fight? Apparently no one. Because even in a hypothetical situation, you puss out, Ha! Ha!" --Ashida Kim

I concede that I'm part of the problem. Especially if I'm feeling a bit tired and bitter, it becomes really easy to take it out on the cloud of malingering, non practicing self professed "gong fu is bad" public service anouncements. Yet somehow I never tire of emphasizing that the peanut gallery at a LARPER convention is several orders of magnitude more pathetic than the actual LARPERs. See, I just did it again.

Something that I think gets overlook is the implied demand that gong fu prove itself to be best at everything.

"Why don't we see gong fu winning UFC blah blah blah"

Why does it have to?

99.999999% of people who practice MMA aren't winning UFC either. There are just as many if not more shit students in every strip mall MMA gym as there are in Wing Chun or Shaolin-Do.

http://vimeo.com/42209600

Whenever all the scrawny, malingering trolls want to work out there frustrations in life on gong fu it starts from this implied assumption that every schlub who walks into a boxing gym or weight room is going to start throwing lead straight rights like Mayweather and cleans like Pyrros.

This is the mentality of people whose biggest work out is when they peel themselves off of their sofa to go make some hot pockets before they sit at their computer to tell people about the best, most effecient ways to train your body to fight. The only people who have to constantly repeat platitudes like "training against resisting opponents" are people who have never trained against resisting opponents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    I concede that I'm part of the problem. Especially if I'm feeling a bit tired and bitter, it becomes really easy to take it out on the cloud of malingering, non practicing self professed "gong fu is bad" public service anouncements. Yet somehow I never tire of emphasizing that the peanut gallery at a LARPER convention is several orders of magnitude more pathetic than the actual LARPERs. See, I just did it again.

Something that I think gets overlook is the implied demand that gong fu prove itself to be best at everything.

"Why don't we see gong fu winning UFC blah blah blah"

Why does it have to?

99.999999% of people who practice MMA aren't winning UFC either. There are just as many if not more shit students in every strip mall MMA gym as there are in Wing Chun or Shaolin-Do.
    exactly, we don't see it there because there train in much different ways, almost like complete opposite.

Whoa.

Whoa.

Whoa.

Whoa.

Whoa.

Whoa.

Whoa.

Whoa, man.

Larping is cool.

(plus Larpers don't talk crap about how they would actually win in real sword fights against resisting opponents... )

Srsly though, if larpers enjoy larping, let them larp. While I've never done it, I bet you it's tons of fun. I mean... would they keep doing it if it wasn't?

If people enjoy doing TCMA, let them do TCMA.

The only issues are when it's misrepresented as something it's not.
    "If Ashida wished you to know his real name, I am sure he would write to you and tell you himself." --Danny Sainty

"So, you supposed martial artists, what are you trining for? Who are you training to fight? Apparently no one. Because even in a hypothetical situation, you puss out, Ha! Ha!" --Ashida Kim

Blog Entries
    We have many interest groups here. Those who is interest in

- WC only,
    - MMA only,
    - Health and spiritual development only,
    - IMA only,
    - EMA only,
    - TCMA only,
    - generall MA,

May be we should divide our subjects in such area so:

- None WC guys should not get involve with WC threads.
    - None MMA guys should not get involve with MMA threads.
    - None Health and spiritual guys should not get involve with Health and spiritual threads.
    - None IMA guys should not get involve with IMA threads.
    - None EMA guys should not get involve with EMA threads.
    - None TCMA guys should not get involve with TCMA threads.
    - None general MA guys should not get involve with general MA threads.

Will that work? I don't know.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

TT,

Valid and I agree. Yet could this not also include people who use deflecting energy(Metal in the 5 e theory) and start their own thread about someting tangential and peripheral to the orignal subject? ie: I'll start a thread about if it is possible to project chi to knock someone over from a distance and it's going reasonably constructive for a while and then someone turns it into a "pressure points are not possible to hit in a fight" SUB-thread! Not that the hitting pressure points is not a valid subject for discussion, but ADD-HD is frustrating to deal with.

YKW,

Does it have to be either/or? Why is it: Wing Chun ONLY or MMA ONLY? Why can't someone have more than one interest?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We have many interest groups here. Those who is interest in

- WC only,
    - MMA only,
    - Health and spiritual development only,
    - IMA only,
    - EMA only,
    - TCMA only,
    - generall MA,

May be we should divide our subjects in such area so:

- None WC guys should not get involve with WC threads.
    - None MMA guys should not get involve with MMA threads.
    - None Health and spiritual guys should not get involve with Health and spiritual threads.
    - None IMA guys should not get involve with IMA threads.
    - None EMA guys should not get involve with EMA threads.
    - None TCMA guys should not get involve with TCMA threads.
    - None general MA guys should not get involve with general MA threads.

Will that work? I don't know.
    Not that I like these trolls but they are a very important part of these forums. Probably because of them some people who are really interested in TCMA won't come here anymore but without them there won't be many discussions on any of the forums except for the WC forum. This is specifically the problem of the neijia section and honestly judging by the type of people who come here I don't see any discussions more profound than whether qi is real or not in that section and probably it would be better to close it. On the Kungfu forum many of the threads are about childish arguments between TCMA people and anti TCMA people and I don't think it can be changed without banning many of the members but in that case there won't be much to discuss. I personally come here to enjoy the drama but every once in a while there is something useful to learn.

It's really not that hard. I personally just don't give a ***t about anyone or their opinions. That's why this is only my 462nd post since I signed up on this forum in 2001. Maybe that makes me a jerk but again, I don't care. I do what I do, like what I like and no one can tell me I'm wrong. I love the martial arts; all of them, and I try to continually try to learn and grow in as many areas as I can and if someone doesn't like the direction I'm going, as my daddy used to say, "Go **** up a rope."

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by I Hate Ashida Kim View Post
    There are two kinds of trolls on this forum:

1) The people who perpetuate qigong myths (except they're trolling the entire MA world, not just this forum).

2) The inadvertent trolls who talk about using fancy techniques when they've never trained against a resisting opponent. I say "inadvertent" because they aren't technically trolling since they believe they are telling the truth.

Everyone else is cool. Even group #2 up there is cool cuz some of them are at least open minded about their training.

Group #1 is maximum trolling.

ok, here is one of those STFU moments.
    Unless that is actually the topic of the thread. But if you're going to start interjecting your opinions where they are not wanted...well, there ya go.
    See? It's that easy.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    Does it have to be either/or? Why is it: Wing Chun ONLY or MMA ONLY? Why can't someone have more than one interest?
    If you don't train boxing, MT, wrestling, Judo, BJJ, try to go to a MMA thread and see how long you can survive there.

start interjecting your opinions where they are not wanted...
    This is my main point. You may want to share information from the bottom of your heart. But if your opinion is not wanted, why do you want to be there in the 1st place? When you suggest Taiji guys should spar more, all Taiji guys will hate you.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-08-2012 at 07:57 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When you suggest Taiji guys should spar more, all Taiji guys will hate you.
    Sparring guys should use tai chi more when they spar.

That's the traditional way

Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    Not that I like these trolls but they are a very important part of these forums. Probably because of them some people who are really interested in TCMA won't come here anymore but without them there won't be many discussions on any of the forums except for the WC forum. This is specifically the problem of the neijia section and honestly judging by the type of people who come here I don't see any discussions more profound than whether qi is real or not in that section and probably it would be better to close it. On the Kungfu forum many of the threads are about childish arguments between TCMA people and anti TCMA people and I don't think it can be changed without banning many of the members but in that case there won't be much to discuss. I personally come here to enjoy the drama but every once in a while there is something useful to learn.
    While some might be anti TCMA indeed there may be those, such as myself, who could come off in that light when really it's about being against crappy training, techniques which just plain don't work, evidence based pressure testing, and a put up or shut up, full contact fighting mentality.