Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Simply Ignore Them (is that so hard..?)

If you're on the KFM forum.

If you're on the KFM forum, you secretly like trolls. Most of you have been on here for years. Most of you are also on other MA forums that are much nastier to trolls. People who genuinely can't stand trolls have left this forum or use it irregularly. Therefore, those of you who are still here regularly like a little trolling, even if you think you don't.

Gene runs a good forum and prefers free expression over censorship. If you can't defend yourself against the trolls, shut off the interwebz, don't look to big brother (a mod) to defend you. Besides, trolls are good for laughs periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Anyone who comes up against a well trained knife figher on the street without a weapon will get gutted….and the aforementioned karl tanswell was both a well trained JKD guy and a kali escima guy, when he got attacked by 5 guys with knifes (and somehow managed to survive) he dropped all that tradional knife work and went in favour of a sports approach, and his students come from an area of the UK where knifes are very common
    Id argue the person most used to dealing with an opponent trying to take their head off with real intent on a weekly basis will do better on the street, and from my experience that is not your local TCMA guy its your local MMA guy (or rugby player)
    Frost makes his point well without being a troll. I enjoy debateing with him, he makes good points keeps me on my toes without being an icehole. Conversations like this good for TCMA cuz they make us see our short comings and hopefully will make you think about your training habits.

Frost is right that many TCMA don't prepare enough for reality. MMA is a good sport and give you a certain viewpoint on realistic fighting. Someone swinging at you with intent to knock you down and then jump on you and choke you out is realistic enough to prepare someone.... partially for the streets.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    If you're on the KFM forum, you secretly like trolls. Most of you have been on here for years. Most of you are also on other MA forums that are much nastier to trolls. People who genuinely can't stand trolls have left this forum or use it irregularly. Therefore, those of you who are still here regularly like a little trolling, even if you think you don't.

Gene runs a good forum and prefers free expression over censorship. If you can't defend yourself against the trolls, shut off the interwebz, don't look to big brother (a mod) to defend you. Besides, trolls are good for laughs periodically.
    I disagree.

I took on being a mod here again to push out a troll element that was negatively effecting the forum and driving people away. Many people balked and some even hated that I had taken it up again. C'est la vie.

I don't mind people who make a good argument. There are a few people here who do other martial arts than kung fu and have no problem with the way they conduct their conversations or challenges to belief sets that are around kung fu.

There are very few qi hugging hippies as was expressed earlier and for the most part, the conversations here have been pretty productive and kung fu related for the last year.

We got rid of the very worst of the trolls and spammers when I started right away. Lately it's been a hunt and peck method, but occasionally you get one or two that drift in. they don't last too long til they're banned.

I for one am intolerant of them. they bring nothing useful to the table and I will continue to have them banned as I see em.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    Frost makes his point well without being a troll. I enjoy debateing with him, he makes good points keeps me on my toes without being an icehole. Conversations like this good for TCMA cuz they make us see our short comings and hopefully will make you think about your training habits.

Frost is right that many TCMA don't prepare enough for reality. MMA is a good sport and give you a certain viewpoint on realistic fighting. Someone swinging at you with intent to knock you down and then jump on you and choke you out is realistic enough to prepare someone.... partially for the streets.

ginosifu
    Likewise I enjoy debating with Gino he makes his points well and doesn’t insult anyone
    I have met a number of people like him in the TCMA world (my current sifu is one such person): traditional yet open-minded, willing to try things and test themselves. And nearly all of them have something in common……they have virtually to a man done a form of sports combat: Be it sanda, Chinese wrestling, western wrestling (rugby) or boxing, they all seem to have in their backgrounds a good history in combat sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Top events in first world countries like the us and the uk are the best proving grounds for things bar none and the UFC is the top of all the top dogs. It's not the final word on everything but if someones style is really good they should be able to compete in top level events like the UFC. You never saw successful TCMA guys in pride, strike force etc etc etc.
    Thailand is the Mecca of muay Thai but when folks from the first world come in the Thais get the butts handed to them more often than not.
    then do your homework smart arse. cma has been in ufc. thanks for proving my point.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Thanks ON, you're spot on.

I've always felt that trolls on the forum is a lot like open sparring. Anyone can walk in and play. Some sparring partners have good technique. Others have one shot, something simple and rude, and it's annoying when that penetrates your defense. But ultimately, if you play prudently, you can walk away with some improved skills for debate and social media. This, coupled with the obligatory locker-room trash talk, are an essential part of martial practice, which makes the participation of some trolls here critical to us keeping it real.

At the same time, there are psychic vampires, or as we like to call them here, qi vampires. Again, to use that sparring analogy, sometimes you get someone in the ring that's a crappy fighter overall, but might have a simple shot or two that can get in, and there's value in trading blows with them. Other times, you have someone that's just a drain on the group - a qi vampire. They suck.

So I'm okay with most trolls; it's just the qi vampires that need to be staked through the dantian.

And TenTigers, I must add that to launch a thread titled "Simply Ignore Them (is that so hard..?)" is akin to saying "Don't think about elephants".
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I

And TenTigers, I must add that to launch a thread titled "Simply Ignore Them (is that so hard..?)" is akin to saying "Don't think about elephants".
    yeah, I noticed that. It's like saying Beetlejuice, or Sandman, three times.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Thats why I will never ignore anyone, even obvious troll. It's good for the mind to battle them. It's like a:

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    then do your homework smart arse. cma has been in ufc. thanks for proving my point.
    I notice you said CMA and not TCMA. Yes sanda has done okay here and there but again they cross train and they've never been spectacularly victorious. If there has been other styles of CMA then it's either non-traditional or would've been heavily supplemented.
    We've seen champs from karate, muay Thai, boxing, wrestling, kickboxing, and bjj but even the guys who do okay, which is the sanda guys, never make it to the top.

So CMA, yes, not doing spectactularly. TCMA, please. If they have they haven't done anything even worthy of notice and their fighting would've been heavily modified anyway.

I notice you said CMA and not TCMA. Yes sanda has done okay here and there but again they cross train and they've never been spectacularly victorious. If there has been other styles of CMA then it's either non-traditional or would've been heavily supplemented.
    We've seen champs from karate, muay Thai, boxing, wrestling, kickboxing, and bjj but even the guys who do okay, which is the sanda guys, never make it to the top.
    How would they accommodate the swords? can I learn to use a broadsword in a mma school? In a boxing club? Wrestling? Muay Thai? Sanda? Can I learn to use quarterstaff in these too?

No?

shucks. You never see staff or swordwork in ufc. Man, that totally is lacking!!

Do you see where your argument stands?

empty hand? So, you forgot your weapon?

/devils advocate again
    Kung Fu is good for you.

So CMA, yes, not doing spectactularly. TCMA, please. If they have they haven't done anything even worthy of notice and their fighting would've been heavily modified anyway.
    Actually i said cma cuz i felt like it. you are quick to jump on anything even when you're wrong. here's a bone for ya, just a quicky off the tip top of my little brain...roy nelson trains tcma, shaolin kungfu to be precise. and has for a long time. good record, and in ufc. dude you can moan like a dying pregnant zebra all you want. doesnt mean you're right.

Blog Entries
    how would they accommodate the swords? Can i learn to use a broadsword in a mma school? In a boxing club? Wrestling? Muay thai? Sanda? Can i learn to use quarterstaff in these too?

No?

Shucks. You never see staff or swordwork in ufc. Man, that totally is lacking!!

Do you see where your argument stands?

Empty hand? So, you forgot your weapon?

/devils advocate again
    the ufc.....the limited edition. :d
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Actually i said cma cuz i felt like it. you are quick to jump on anything even when you're wrong. here's a bone for ya, just a quicky off the tip top of my little brain...roy nelson trains tcma, shaolin kungfu to be precise. and has for a long time. good record, and in ufc. dude you can moan like a dying pregnant zebra all you want. doesnt mean you're right.
    oh and go ahead, go to troll tactic #34 try to demean and diminish roy nelsons accomplishments with insults and falsehoods and then try and diminish the impact shaolin kungfu has had on him. oh and bring up he cross trains. you know like thai boxers and bjj'ers... lol go ahead do it...you know you're dying to... i bet it itches like a bad jock does

Top events in first world countries like the us and the uk
    China is first world bro. I agree with the ufc but, just in the west huh? what, are you a racist?

China owns the USA making them more first world than us lol

its true. as they say fight fire with fire. whats more fun than trolling a troll?