Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squats, bench, deadlift observations and scepticism

Squats, bench, deadlift observations and scepticism

This last few months I have had to train at a few different gyms (due to work) and also had the pleasure of watching the local college rugby club join us at the powerlifting gym to workout

This has reinforced a few things I have long suspected…

Firstly people simply don’t understand depth intuitively on squats and what they think is level is in fact a quarter squat, and what they think is ATG is in reality level (almost). This means that when someone tells me they squat x y or z I am highly sceptical and unless I actually see them squat I simply don’t believe them, its not that I think they are making the number up its that in my 15 years of lifting I can count on one hand the number of people outside of a powerlifting club who actually have hit parallel or lower in the squat…….And I hold my hand up here as one of the accused…. I thought I was squatting parallel for years before moving to a powerlifting gym….and I lost 130 pounds off my squat overnight when I realised what breaking parallel actually means

Secondly no two people actually bench the same, you have those that bounce the weight so hard off their chest you fear they will break a rib, and you have those that don’t even touch the chest at all but only half bench and those that fall somewhere inbetween, again this makes me highly sceptical when talking numbers on the bench and if you haven’t benched under competition conditions its simply impossible to say with certainly what your bench is.

And finally we come to the deadlift…the only lift you take peoples work on because its hard not to do this lift correctly: you only have to stand up with the bar…there’s no bouncing, no cheating depth you either make the lift or you don’t.
    SO when people say they are squatting this or that I say great but what about your deadlift………

I agree.
    When I squat, I squat as low as I can TILL hips and waist basically touch, just a shy under parallel (depending on stance)BUT when I do serious weight and I KNOW that I can't make it, the squat becomes parallel at best, it is almost instinctive.
    A true bench should touch the chest.
    A DL should, to be legit, should be held for 2 seconds at least in the top position.
    The thing is that, honestly, unless you are doing powerlifitng, it doesn't mean much.
    I don't even know what my max are for sometime now.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

ah, the power of weights!

I have a hard enough time doing squats without weights so no idea what I can squat. Been working on doing single leg squats for a form though, and those are fun

Last time I benched, I put up 375, that was a slow descent with a touch to the chest, and then a slow ascent, almost got it twice. That was many moons ago as well, maybe I need to get back in the gym

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I agree.
    When I squat, I squat as low as I can TILL hips and waist basically touch, just a shy under parallel (depending on stance)BUT when I do serious weight and I KNOW that I can't make it, the squat becomes parallel at best, it is almost instinctive.
    A true bench should touch the chest.
    A DL should, to be legit, should be held for 2 seconds at least in the top position.
    The thing is that, honestly, unless you are doing powerlifitng, it doesn't mean much.
    I don't even know what my max are for sometime now.
    I agree it doesn’t mean much unless you are competing, but likewise theres no point in talking about what you squat or bench unless its all under the same conditions,
    And you are not alone everyone’s squat rises as the weight does lol, I have only met 1 person who regardless of weight always hits the same depth and its freaky to watch

Yeah, in terms of "functional, I don't ever recall exerting force from a "ass to grass" position.
    When I pick ST exercises I try to pick ones that "mimic" the everyday things I do that would require strong muscles, that is why I do the overhead press, deadlfits, dips, curls, squats, pull ups and bench press.
    I do like to be strong, so I do try to work with high weights but I don't really pay attention to number other than to chart progress and this is because I tend to not be able to train regualry ( which you must to get any decent numbers) and I can at times miss a whole month of ST when I focus more on MA.

its hard having two mistresses, you really need to consentrate on one thing to get really good, but it is nice being strongish

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    its hard having two mistresses, you really need to consentrate on one thing to get really good, but it is nice being strongish
    Yeah, the thing is that I am not willing to compromise on one or the other, LOL !
    Makes it even worse !
    Still, MA is first and ST is second.
    The good thing is that, strength gains are lost the least in terms of time.
    What I mean is that our strength gains are lost at a far slower pace than lest say flexibility or stamina.
    At least that has been my expereince.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Yeah, the thing is that I am not willing to compromise on one or the other, LOL !
    Makes it even worse !
    Still, MA is first and ST is second.
    The good thing is that, strength gains are lost the least in terms of time.
    What I mean is that our strength gains are lost at a far slower pace than lest say flexibility or stamina.
    At least that has been my expereince.
    nope you are correct thats been my expereince and others as well, you can also recover strength losses quicker as well, but building a level is different from maintaining it or recovering it unfortunatly

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    RL need for ATG squat = flipping an 8' hot tub from flat to on its edge. you have to grip the very bottom of the cabinet which is 1-4 inches off the ground. you also have your chest flat against the cabinet and as you lift, it moves away from you so you need to start with your feet as close to the base of the hot tub as possible so you don't end up leaning too far out as you lift. then you clean it, sorta...and then press.

true. i used to have vid of it on my youtube page...i'll repost is there and link later.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

you have those that bounce the weight so hard off their chest you fear they will break a rib,
    Speaking of bouncing the weight.

Secondly no two people actually bench the same, you have those that bounce the weight so hard off their chest you fear they will break a rib, and you have those that don’t even touch the chest at all but only half bench and those that fall somewhere inbetween, again this makes me highly sceptical when talking numbers on the bench and if you haven’t benched under competition conditions its simply impossible to say with certainly what your bench is.
    Don't forget about the people who try to hump the ceiling while they bench (lifting their butt off the bench, often very high up in the air).

And finally we come to the deadlift…the only lift you take peoples work on because its hard not to do this lift correctly: you only have to stand up with the bar…there’s no bouncing, no cheating depth you either make the lift or you don’t.
    SO when people say they are squatting this or that I say great but what about your deadlift………
    Well, you can hitch (pause and rest it on your thighs and then try to bounce it up a little at a time).

Squatting is hard and people would rather work out their egos (higher weights and partial reps) than take a bunch of weight off the bar and go all the way down.

Most gyms I've been to have a mirror in front of the squat rack, which kind of helps.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Featherstone View Post
    Last time I benched, I put up 375, that was a slow descent with a touch to the chest, and then a slow ascent, almost got it twice. That was many moons ago as well, maybe I need to get back in the gym
    Nice. How much did you weigh at the time?

Oh, and on the topic of bad form, don't forget the people who only go down half way when doing pullups and brag about how they can do 20 reps

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Oh, and on the topic of bad form, don't forget the people who only go down half way when doing pullups and brag about how they can do 20 reps
    Or the kipping from hell crowd...

Just don't get me started on the fratboy wanna be crowd that does curls in the squat rack and they got toothpicks for legs because they only do curls and bench press.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Speaking of bouncing the weight.
    no comments? Seriously it's gotta be one of the most disgusting power lifting accidents of all time.