Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squats, bench, deadlift observations and scepticism

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    no comments? Seriously it's gotta be one of the most disgusting power lifting accidents of all time.
    comments? it shouldnt have happened, i cant actually watch it again, spotters weent doing there job properly they should have been looking after the lifter its there responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Oh, and on the topic of bad form, don't forget the people who only go down half way when doing pullups and brag about how they can do 20 reps
    I have a 20 rep guy with me once, when he did the pull ups how I do them ( from dead hang to chest, hold and repeat), he barely did 12.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    no comments?
    人欺物勿令物欺人(Ren Qi Wu Wu Ling Wu Qi Ren) - We should defeat the weight and should never allow the weight to defeat us.

If you feel the weight is controlling you, you are using too much weight.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-14-2012 at 01:43 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    人欺物勿令物欺人(Ren Qi Wu Wu Ling Wu Qi Ren) - We should defeat the weight and should never allow the weight to defeat us.

If you feel the weight is controlling you, you are using too much weight.
    Pretty sure that's irrelevant to what was going on.

When you're trying to set a PR it's likely that you will just barely get it. And if it's too much, hopefully your spotters are there or you can rack the weight.

It looks like the bar just slipped out of his hands. Was he using an open grip? I don't want to watch it again to check.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    first clip is two of us, my helper for 3 years, failing at the lift. yes, that's snow. and, the tile surface we were standing on was ice covered. you can see us slip on it in both clips i think.

fail

called in help for the win. 1 more person did the trick.

win

If I remember right, that spa weighed 982 dry. the customer had let it freeze during a power outage, water drained out of the spa and into the cabinet, soaking and then freezing in the foam insulation. I don't know how much it weighed at the time of the lift. I do know that my helper and I could manage the lift on dry ground with no water as we were the ones who delivered the spa in the first place.

the camera could have been better positioned to show us lifting but we were on the side of a mountain, the slope behind us is mirrored on the downhill side.

ftr, i was in the middle of my time with crossfit and already irritated that with all the coaches talk of 'functional fitness' they hadn't the foggiest clue as to what it meant to actually apply maximal strength in real life.

I invited the male coach to work with me one day...even offered to buy him a paleo lunch at his restaurant of choice. declined.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I have a 20 rep guy with me once, when he did the pull ups how I do them ( from dead hang to chest, hold and repeat), he barely did 12.
    Honestly though, 12 is still about 11 more than most people can do.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.