Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Shi De Yang DVD ?

Why is it that shi de yang waters the forms down for video? Does he have a lot of people claiming to be his students that are learning from the videos?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Why is it that shi de yang waters the forms down for video? Does he have a lot of people claiming to be his students that are learning from the videos?
    Everyone does it. It's not just in Shaolin either. It seems to be a Chinese thing, that you don't put the full knowledge on film, especially applications. Hence the ridiculous application videos, which would have been better left undone.

The famous Wing Chun master Wong Shun Leung, also made one instructional video but made 8 deliberate mistakes in the film, and was also protective over his seminar footage which was guarded by close students who were there, but it has somehow leaked.

I heard from Shi Xingsen, who did many of the videos in Liu Zhenhai's series, that the videos are just for people who want to learn something fast. More serious learners will read the books which include a lot more detail than the videos.

But yes, also, you wouldn't believe the number and type of crazy folks around the world who claim some sort of discipleship or something under Shi Deyang and others, after only meeting once, or maybe not even at all.

There was once a man who told Shi Deyang directly that he was the original disciple of Shi Suxi and was glad that Shi Deyang came to Shaolin because they are brothers now... But then he went back to his country with many pictures and videos of them together, claiming he was now Shi Deyang's disciple.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Everyone does it. It's not just in Shaolin either. It seems to be a Chinese thing, that you don't put the full knowledge on film, especially applications. Hence the ridiculous application videos, which would have been better left undone.

The famous Wing Chun master Wong Shun Leung, also made one instructional video but made 8 deliberate mistakes in the film, and was also protective over his seminar footage which was guarded by close students who were there, but it has somehow leaked.

I heard from Shi Xingsen, who did many of the videos in Liu Zhenhai's series, that the videos are just for people who want to learn something fast. More serious learners will read the books which include a lot more detail than the videos.

But yes, also, you wouldn't believe the number and type of crazy folks around the world who claim some sort of discipleship or something under Shi Deyang and others, after only meeting once, or maybe not even at all.

There was once a man who told Shi Deyang directly that he was the original disciple of Shi Suxi and was glad that Shi Deyang came to Shaolin because they are brothers now... But then he went back to his country with many pictures and videos of them together, claiming he was now Shi Deyang's disciple.
    For me all those video's are simple interesting stuff to watch.
    Normally I just collect video's from forms I know, and not only from Deyang but if possible from others to!

Why I buy them simple, if I forget something I can check it fast there and remember it again.

But at all, in some way its very funny people telling i'm student of ...... without even been there. lol

Just got my Taizu DVD this morning and it looks great. There is basically no DVD suitcase just the book with the DVD in a small paper inside, but thats fine for me.
    The book is a reall book only in Chinese (I still didnt learned..) , but it seems to describe the form very detailed everything with high quality pictures and some text beside it.

Also the DVD is very high quality. You see the form complete,then broken down to teach it. I think its a lot more detailed then every DVD I ever saw from him. You also see some applications of the form and yeah, that is my first impression. If to get some time to get a closer look at the DVD.

But my current opinion is that is was very worth watching and I would love to have more of these DVDs.

Best regards,
    Xian

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    The book is a reall book only in Chinese (I still didnt learned..) , but it seems to describe the form very detailed everything with high quality pictures and some text beside it.
    Books always seem to be more detailed than videos, ironically.

I wonder how this new one compares to the old version, or to his seminar demo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFJFeJZxJjg

Books always seem to be more detailed than videos, ironically.

I wonder how this new one compares to the old version, or to his seminar demo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFJFeJZxJjg
    Lets compare. Here it is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkiOw...1&feature=plcp

Best regards,
    Xian

Great. Thanks! It looks pretty much like the version he did at the seminar above. Although, in that video, there are a couple steps missing right after the first posture. It's all there in the DVD though.

Overall, this version is pretty close to how it's done at the school. Just his rhythm gives it a different feel. But I'm still not sure where the lihetui came from, and the mabu that follows is usually a horizontal arm in the front and rear. He has them both vertically, like an uppercut.

Great. Thanks! It looks pretty much like the version he did at the seminar above. Although, in that video, there are a couple steps missing right after the first posture. It's all there in the DVD though.

Overall, this version is pretty close to how it's done at the school. Just his rhythm gives it a different feel. But I'm still not sure where the lihetui came from, and the mabu that follows is usually a horizontal arm in the front and rear. He has them both vertically, like an uppercut.
    Maybe these are the usual changes to mark them. I like this DVD. About fourty minutes for the form and about 30 for applications. And thats pretty nice. I guess they are still not on their full level on how to really use them but they are hell better then those on his Da Hong Quan Yi Lu video with the long application section.

Best regards,
    Xian

The "Actual Combat" series. Yeah, that must have been some sort of joke.

The Dahongquan of this new Book+DVD series doesn't have any applications shown. Only a few are mentioned. So it appears only select installments have apps. But they are overall stronger than any previous series.

Shaolin Mizong Quan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaORD...ature=youtu.be

Ive also found the full DVD. I have send it to SHemmati, I guess he will upload it on his channel.

Best regards,
    Xian

This performance is even stronger than the older series! But it is the same, almost legit, with only a few parts that are different. Some just minor details...
    so, the movement after striding tiger in xuebu and before turning kick and push palm, in which Deyang hops forward and joins the fists in front of the chest (known as 'double air pierce ears') is the legit way he really teaches it? most others do this with lifting the kicking leg and thrusting pincer-like double punches, so i thought he might have borrowed this movement from Pao quan to mark this form.

That's the way it's done. Our version is different from the most common one. It travels more with greater movements such as this and the xuanfengjiao. Others seem to keep more stationary, just changing sides in the same space, or even moving backward a lot. Our whole first line keeps advancing forward.

thanks to Xian,

Deyang's new Mi Zong quan DVD, compare it with his older one:

Shaolin Mi Zong quan, 1lu (new performance): a wonderful performance of the form at 30:55
    Shaolin Mi Zong quan, 1lu (older performance): a sloppy performance at 5:20

differences:
    • at 31:20 of the new DVD he uses fists, the older one uses palms;
    • also at 31:24;
    • at 31:38 uses open hand, the older uses fists;
    • at 31:47 he lifts one leg and attacks with the claws then turns back and uses claws again, while in the older one he just shrinks to T-stance;
    • at 32:10 he spreads hands to mabu stance, while in the older one he strikes back with the right elbow before this spreading hands in mabu.

how are these compared to the legit version, LFJ?
    Last edited by SHemmati; 10-09-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SHemmati View Post
    differences:
    • at 31:20 of the new DVD he uses fists, the older one uses palms;
    • also at 31:24;
    • at 31:38 uses open hand, the older uses fists;
    • at 31:47 he lifts one leg and attacks with the claws then turns back and uses claws again, while in the older one he just shrinks to T-stance;
    • at 32:10 he spreads hands to mabu stance, while in the older one he strikes back with the right elbow before this spreading hands in mabu.

how are these compared to the legit version, LFJ?
    Fists vs palms don't really make a big difference, but I learned each of the above as open hands because they are snake techniques.

He did the same sequence twice when it should have been two different sequences, as in the old video. Probably just messed up there, but will teach it properly in the breakdown. I haven't actually watched the whole thing.

The extra elbow strike seems to be just thrown in. I never noticed that before.

Some competition footage from students at the school:
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzI0MTc4NTQ0.html
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzI0ODU4MzAw.html

Quote Originally Posted by SHemmati View Post
    and, this is another title of this new series:

少林密宗点穴神功 (shaolin mi zong dian xue shen gong: Shaolin Tantra Dian Xue mysterious skill): (is the translation correct?)
    Mysterious Skills of Shaolin Esoteric Dianxue

Shengong can also mean "remarkable feats". Whatever you prefer.
    Mizong can refer to Tantra, but in this case it just means "esoteric".
    Last edited by LFJ; 09-03-2013 at 01:09 AM.