Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about heading back to China

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Yep.
    I wasn't born here and I miss the homeland a lot BUT I CHOSE Canada and chose to BE Canadian.
    I don't know if people that are born in a country understand the huge significance of that...
    I love Canada and I have been around the world and while Portugal will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart, I AM CANADIAN
    No, no, no! You got it all wrong......you are Portuguese-Canadian!

The new way we say it up here is:

I'm a Canadian. Of Scots/Welsh heritage.

"Canadian" comes first.

I had an interesting encounter the other day. I'm at the Tim's drive through and teh girl who gives me my coffee has a name tag that says "jingle"

I say "hey! Jingle, that's a cool name!".

She says: "Yes, back home many people have this name"

I said "You're not Canadian then?"

She said: "Yes, of course I am!"

I laughed, but it will change as time passes. People forget what decisions they have made and what those decisions will change and what that means.

Newcomer refugees, I feel for. they aren't home and have to sit far away and watch crap go down in their homelands. But people who chose to come and live and make money who refuse to call it or make it home?

I find that weird.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    No, no, no! You got it all wrong......you are Portuguese-Canadian!
    If I choose to put my ethnic background before my CHOSEN citizenship, perhaps.
    But I don't choose to do so.
    Fact is that I am more Canadian than Portuguese now, I cam over here when I was 18 and I am now 43.
    I will always be Lusitanian in blood, yes, but I am Canuck in everything other than my dislike for hockey and the snow.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I will always be Lusitanian in blood, yes, but I am Canuck in everything other than my dislike for hockey and the snow.
    Careful, I hear you get deported if the authorities here of that kind of behavior.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

We took our little one over to China last year to see his grandparents for three months. It was great. I didn't know until going back how much I missed it. Didn't feel as welcome as pre Olympics, but still had a great time.

Being a gypsy is great anyways, and most kids have fun no matter the place.

One month later and the itch is still there. I've had "we gotta get out of this place" running through my head all week - which is always a bad sign. (It's never good when you find yourself humming the Animals.)

I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to get a marketing job while in Canada though. A lot of the guys on the linkedin boards I've been haunting are already China-side and my "can move as soon s I get a visa" status might be a barrier.

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.