Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese-Japanese Tensions Over Disputed Islands

Chinese-Japanese Tensions Over Disputed Islands

Blog Entries
    I still remember that I jointed in the university students protest in Washington D.C. in front of the white house back in 1971. We had 15 students from the University of Kansas at Lawrence. Our slogan was, "內除國賊,外抗強權 Remove internal traitor and resist the outside power." When asked who was the "internal traitor", we were all treated as anti-Taiwan government left wing bad guys.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-16-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I always wonder at the level of intelligence of people who riot, destroy property, always blaming "the other", etc., for the sake of nationalistic or religious fervor. Such people are very easy to manipulate, like cattle. Would most of them even know or care about these islands if it wasn't pushed in the news?

If Chinese flags and businesses were being defaced in any country in the world, for any reason, the PRC government would be complaining and threatening over it.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-16-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Yes, this is causing a lot of tension in Asia, and could cause a lot more. I wouldn't rely only on the BBC for news on this one though, since this BBC article appears to have a pro-Japan bias and doesn't look at the history of the islands at all. Although I'm not a historian, I'd look at multiple news sources around the world to consider this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sima Rong View Post
    Yes, this is causing a lot of tension in Asia, and could cause a lot more. I wouldn't rely only on the BBC for news on this one though, since this BBC article appears to have a pro-Japan bias and doesn't look at the history of the islands at all. Although I'm not a historian, I'd look at multiple news sources around the world to consider this issue.
    Do you have any other news agencies you'd recommend? Preferably in English.

I normally go to BBC for my "impartial" world news source.

In my opinion, the Chinese and the Japanese have never really resolved the issues of the Japanese occupation of China from 1931 invasion to 1945 end of WW2.

I think there are still a lot of Chinese who hold a lot of resentment towards the Japanese in general because of this persistence of memory.

The islands just seem to be the valve or the release of all the pent up hatred and distrust of the Japanese. I keep hearing about the occupation years in context to the feelings being vented due to this story.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I want to know, are those the Islands from Enter the Dragon?

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    Do you have any other news agencies you'd recommend? Preferably in English.

I normally go to BBC for my "impartial" world news source.
    for some things a good place to try and find another source is:

http://www.aljazeera.com/
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

here is the al jazeera cover on that story:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inp...946448723.html

definately some powerful images
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

BBC impartial?

nope.

there is no such thing as an impartial news agency. You want impartial? You gotta dig and you gotta decide from alternate viewpoints where the truth sits by your own reckoning.

Recognize that ALL news media outlets are propaganda for the system which they serve.

I would listen to Scandinavian news outlets if I wanted as close to impartial from a news agency, but those were cancelled in Canada. they had one great show called "overnight" and it was broadcast from Holland. Real news stories and different angles.

I guess our government got uncomfortable with our government propaganda station broadcasting contrary viewpoints to the night owls that would stay up to listen.

Anyway, these days, believe nothing, question everything or let your political inclinations go entirely. It's hard just to keep track of who's lying these days!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    In my opinion, the Chinese and the Japanese have never really resolved the issues of the Japanese occupation of China from 1931 invasion to 1945 end of WW2.
    The Chinese Japanese conflict started much early than that. It starts from the 甲午(Jia Wu) War.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aptPGHYcldo

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The Chinese Japanese conflict started much early than that. It starts from the 甲午(Jia Wu) War.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aptPGHYcldo

Not familiar with that. Time period?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    That was 1894. China loss Taiwan to Japan. The movie clip that I put up was how the native Taiwanese fought against Japanese occupied soldiers. The Japanese soldiers used chemical weapon to kill Taiwanese.

All my life, I had refused to teach any Japanese students. It almost got me in trouble in my university informal class.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

甲午戰爭,日方稱為日清戰爭(日語:日清戦争/にっしんせんそう Nisshin sensō?),國際通稱第一次中日戰爭(First Sino-Japanese War),指的是大清帝國和大日本帝國之間為爭奪朝鲜半島控制權而爆发的一场戰爭。1894年(光緒二十年 )按照中國干支紀年,時年為甲午年,故稱為甲午戰爭。丰島戰役是戰爭爆發的標誌。最終,清朝政府戰敗,與日 本簽訂《馬關條約》。

The Sino-Japanese war, war in Japan known as the Nissin (Japanese: the date the price of war/にっしんせんそう Nisshin Sens ō?), commonly known as the first Sino-Japanese war (First Sino-Japanese War), refers to the great Qing Empire and Japan between Empire, fighting for control over the outbreak of a war on the Korean peninsula. 1894 (Guangxu 20 years) according to the Chinese in Chinese era calendar, year of the Sino-Japanese war years when, it is known as the Sino-Japanese war. Battle of Pung is a sign of the outbreak of the war. Eventually, the Qing Government was defeated, and Japan signed the Treaty of Shimonoseki.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-17-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    That was 1894. China loss Taiwan to Japan. The movie clip that I put up was how the native Taiwanese fought against Japanese occupied soldiers. The Japanese soldiers used chemical weapon to kill Taiwanese.

All my life, I had refused to teach any Japanese students. It almost got me in trouble in my university informal class.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

甲午戰爭,日方稱為日清戰爭(日語:日清戦争/にっしんせんそう Nisshin sensō?),國際通稱第一次中日戰爭(First Sino-Japanese War),指的是大清帝國和大日本帝國之間為爭奪朝鲜半島控制權而爆发的一场戰爭。1894年(光緒二十年 )按照中國干支紀年,時年為甲午年,故稱為甲午戰爭。丰島戰役是戰爭爆發的標誌。最終,清朝政府戰敗,與日 本簽訂《馬關條約》。

The Sino-Japanese war, war in Japan known as the Nissin (Japanese: the date the price of war/にっしんせんそう Nisshin Sens ō?), commonly known as the first Sino-Japanese war (First Sino-Japanese War), refers to the great Qing Empire and Japan between Empire, fighting for control over the outbreak of a war on the Korean peninsula. 1894 (Guangxu 20 years) according to the Chinese in Chinese era calendar, year of the Sino-Japanese war years when, it is known as the Sino-Japanese war. Battle of Pung is a sign of the outbreak of the war. Eventually, the Qing Government was defeated, and Japan signed the Treaty of Shimonoseki.
    Who you teach is your choice, but NO nation has a "clean" history. If you blame every Japanese person for what Japanese military forces did decades ago, you are blaming someone who had nothing at all to do with it. I've met some Tibetan people who hate Chinese for actions that happened in the 1950s.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    BBC impartial?

nope.
    The BBC has a marked anti-China bias. It's as obvious as the China Daily's pro-China bias. Seriously. I used to read both and split the difference to find out what was really happening in China.

Ok, so maybe I'm using some invective... but you get my point.

Anyway, from what I can tell, the Chinese claim is slightly stronger than the Japanese claim but not by much. Basically it boils down to Chinese sources since the 1500s calling it China and Japanese sources since the 1850s calling it Japan. Oh and ONE PRC source from the 1960s which might be a forgery calls it Japan and ONE Japanese map from the 1700s calls it China.

I think in the end everybody needs to CHILL THE **** OUT and LEAVE THE **** ROCKS ALONE.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.