Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chinese-Japanese Tensions Over Disputed Islands

Japanese expansionism. All over again.
    Jackie Lee

Jackie as Superman

More like Clark Kent.
    Jackie Chan wants to be "Superman" in Sino-Japanese spat
    Posted: 02 October 2012 1709 hrs

"Chinese Zodiac" stars at Cannes (from left): Yao Xingtong, Jackie Chan, Laura Weissbecker and Kwon Sang Woo. (AFP PHOTO / ANNE-CHRISTINE POUJOULAT)

TAITUNG COUNTY, Taiwan: Hong Kong screen icon Jackie Chan has weighed in on the Sino-Japanese territorial dispute over a group of islands in the East China Sea known as the Diaoyu Islands in China and Senkaku Islands in Japan, reported Taiwan media.

"The Diaoyu Islands definitely belong to China!" said Chan on Monday, during an event in Taiwan's Taitung County, where he had shot scenes for his new movie "Chinese Zodiac".

"The Diaoyu Islands belong to China, but what I say doesn't count, it is up to the government to deal with it; I wish I am Superman, so I can pull the island closer," Chan added.

When asked whether he would consider shooting a film on one of the disputed islands, Chan said he would not, explaining that it was just "too sensitive" and would require a lot of effort for very little reward.

Chan also said he hoped Russia would resolve its territorial disputes with both China and Japan, pointing out that there is a need "to respect every country's culture, and for everyone to live harmoniously together".

The 58-year-old actor is not the first Asian celebrity to express his views on the Sino-Japanese spat, which had sparked protests across China in recent weeks, but he may well be the most famous.

Chan has appeared in over 250 films so far and is one of the very few Asian actors to have made a name for himself in Hollywood, on the back of movies like "Rush Hour", "Shanghai Knights" as well as a 2010 remake of "The Karate Kid".
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This seems to be more about the Japanese occupations than about some island that has prolly been fished to extinction anyways. Chinese seem to get really riled up over this. In Japan, they laugh. Yall need to patch that sh1t up real quick. Another real fight between the two would be devastating for all involved. It would drag everybody in.

Last thing we need is one big war surrounded by hundreds of proxy wars.