Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice: Wing Chun or "Practical Tai Chi Chuan"?

Need Advice: Wing Chun or "Practical Tai Chi Chuan"?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a CMA that will help me get in shape, lose some weight, and ultimately help me defend myself and have an allround better condition (also some of the more philosophical aspects).

Where I live the CMAs offered are:

a) Wing Chun - two different organizations - one that spells it Wing Tsun and another that spells it Ving Tsun.
    b) Practical Tai Chi Chuan

I find both styles interesting, but I don't know enough about these styles to know if I can get all I want from them.

There are also Arnis and Okinawan Goju-ryu clubs here, but they are obviously not CMA (although Goju-ryu has a Kung Fu lineage).

1. Try a couple.
    2. Pick the one that fits your needs.

/thread
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Chen Taiji is a powerful martial art but even that one is not really good for losing weight. If you are interested in the internal arts you may choose xingyi(I think hebei is better) or xinyiliuhe (if you can find a teacher) because there is more footwork.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 09-17-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Don't choose by the style...

...choose by the school itself. I'd take a decent WT school over a lousy TCC school and vice versa.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Ya try out what is available, and like Masterkiller said, choose what fits your needs/goals. goju ryu is a good style.

any website links to the schools in question?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Är du i Eskilstuna?

A good teacher is a good teacher, regardless of style, and a bad one is a bad one. Go and check them both out like everyone has been saying, see how well each fits you.

Where are you located? Who are the instructors?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    1. Try a couple.
    2. Pick the one that fits your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    A good teacher is a good teacher, regardless of style, and a bad one is a bad one. Go and check them both out like everyone has been saying, see how well each fits you.
    Good advice.

So far I have tried Wing Chun, Arnis/Escrima, and Goju-ryu. I liked all of them but as I was only introduced to entry level stuff it is hard for me to assess if the styles will fit my needs long term (as I have only superficial experience with them). Hence my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    Chen Taiji is a powerful martial art but even that one is not really good for losing weight. If you are interested in the internal arts you may choose xingyi(I think hebei is better) or xinyiliuhe (if you can find a teacher) because there is more footwork.
    The style they offer here is "Wudang Tai Chi Chuan".

Edit: I found a place offering Xin Yi. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...choose by the school itself. I'd take a decent WT school over a lousy TCC school and vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Ya try out what is available, and like Masterkiller said, choose what fits your needs/goals. goju ryu is a good style.

any website links to the schools in question?
    Quote Originally Posted by XinKuzi View Post
    Who are the instructors?
    In random order:

1. Odense Tai Chi Klub (Wudang Tai Chi Chuan) - in Danish:
    http://www.ptcc.dk/klub/odense/
    Instructor: Per Raundahl, instructor level 4.

2. Kodokan Odense (Xin Yi Ch’uan) - in Danish:
    http://www.kodokan.dk/xin-yi-xinyi-h...roduktion.html
    Instructor: Karsten Buch - connected to Master George Xu and Master Qian Zhao Hong. I didn't mention this in the original post as I found this in a new search.

3. Vajrayana White Crane Kung Fu
    http://www.white-crane.dk/
    Chief Instructor: Sifu Charles DaCosta (US)
    "...has over 40 years experience with many different styles of martial arts. However, his specialty is Chinese Martial Arts, and his primary systems are Vajrayana Pak Hok, Shaolin Chuan, Wudang Chuan, and Taichi Chuan." - Also found this in a new search.

4. The Danish Ving Tsun Federation (Wong Shun Leung lineage):
    http://www.dvtfederation.com/
    Chief instructor: Sifu Morten Ibsen

5. EWTO Danmark (Leung Ting WingTsun):
    http://www.ewtodanmark.dk/index_en.html
    Chief instructor: Sifu Kasper Lund Nielsen

6. Odense Karate Skole (Okinawan Goju-ryu) - in Danish:
    http://www.odensekarateskole.dk/ - member of:
    http://iogkf.com/
    Multiple 2nd Dan instructors.

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    Är du i Eskilstuna?
    Nej jeg bor i Odense i Danmark.

Quote Originally Posted by XinKuzi View Post
    Where are you located?
    I live in Odense, Denmark.

I know traditional Xinyi Liuhe will help you lose weight (Well, you'll probably put on some muscle too) , and it can be really good for self defense. It's a very direct style.

But yes, again, whether it's good for you or not depends on whether you like it and whether the instructor is a good one.
    Last edited by Sima Rong; 09-18-2012 at 12:58 AM.

2. Kodokan Odense (Xin Yi Ch’uan) - in Danish:
    http://www.kodokan.dk/xin-yi-xinyi-h...roduktion.html
    Instructor: Karsten Buch - connected to Master George Xu and Master Qian Zhao Hong. I didn't mention this in the original post as I found this in a new search.
    I don't know Karsten Buch and I can't open the website from China but those two masters are good as far as I have heard. If you choose Xinyi just make sure that the instructor has enough connection to them.

One more thing: Training for Xinyiliuhe properly is a bit more difficult than Tai Chi and takes a lot of energy.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 09-18-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Thank you for the replies!

Both Practical Tai Chi Chuan (Wudang/Dan docherty) and WSL Ving Tsun are very very good systems. Both detailed teaching methods with practical application of the skills.

Its essential you visit the schools as much of it comes down to the individual instructor.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Said View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a CMA that will help me get in shape, lose some weight, and ultimately help me defend myself and have an allround better condition (also some of the more philosophical aspects).

Where I live the CMAs offered are:

a) Wing Chun - two different organizations - one that spells it Wing Tsun and another that spells it Ving Tsun.
    b) Practical Tai Chi Chuan

I find both styles interesting, but I don't know enough about these styles to know if I can get all I want from them.

There are also Arnis and Okinawan Goju-ryu clubs here, but they are obviously not CMA (although Goju-ryu has a Kung Fu lineage).
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The teacher is more important than the style-though the style should be martial.