Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Advice: Wing Chun or "Practical Tai Chi Chuan"?

i would not recommend taking asian martial arts to lose weight. thats not the purpose of martial arts. the best way to lose weight is rigorous exercise.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    1. Try a couple.
    2. Pick the one that fits your needs.

/thread
    That's the best advice. For example, small circle jiujitsu isn't my cup of tea, but guys in law enforcement in my area swear by it. Criminals try a lot more than you think to grab a cops arm or gun and well, you can't do that to a small circle or an Aikido practitioner.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 09-18-2012 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i would not recommend taking asian martial arts to lose weight. thats not the purpose of martial arts. the best way to lose weight is rigorous exercise.
    This is true. Asian martial arts aren't that great for weight loss unless there is vigorous cardiovascular exercise going on. Breathing after all is the only way that calories burn.

Much about asian martial arts isn't really heavy into the aerobics. Especially early on when you are learning things. There just isn't lot of vigour and vim that goes into learning sets. Once you've learned a few, you could use them for cardio, but they aren't very efficient for that. Heavy bag work is awesome cardio, just as a by the way. :-)
    Kung Fu is good for you.

My main purpose with regards to studying a martial art isn't losing weight, but it would be nice if it had that side effect.

Depending on the style I plan on supplementing with other types of exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Said View Post
    My main purpose with regards to studying a martial art isn't losing weight, but it would be nice if it had that side effect.

Depending on the style I plan on supplementing with other types of exercise.
    Do kickboxing, it includes conditioning and offers you as much as any other MA.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    If you train Tan Tui 20 times daily, the water and fire cannot attack you, the heat and cold cannot bother you. You will be able to live as long as sun, moon, and stars. You will become "immortal".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt83nvRwq-4
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-25-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

think sifu morten ibsen used to be high lvl WT teacher before switching to WSL under david peterson. Good chap, good skills if he is who I believe.

Think there are some old youtube vids of him. dunno try look

Loose Weight

If you want to Loose weight Add your wing chun training These elements

1.Running

2.Exercise videos P90X or Insanity

3. Elipitcal Bike

Add these things to your work out...or just add running an you will see the weight come off!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Thank you for the replies.

I train WKL Practical Wing Chun in Sweden but I know there is a club in Odense, Denmark.

http://www.practicalwingchun.dk/
    [R0D]

Quote Originally Posted by R0D View Post
    I train WKL Practical Wing Chun in Sweden but I know there is a club in Odense, Denmark.

http://www.practicalwingchun.dk/
    Yes. I actually contacted the instructor a while back, but there are currently no classes, but he might offer one-on-one lessons...

Hi everybody,

Update: I went to my first class in Wudang Tai Chi Chuan / Practical Tai Chi Chuan yesterday. I really liked it and the instructor was very helpful so I plan on going again.