Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits of Horse Stance Training

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    That was the conclusion you drew from that?

Horse stance training is useless, as far as athletic performance is concerned, except for the specific things mentioned in post 4.
    Forget it you are banging your head against a brick wall lol

you have got to love these technical discussions with people like who cant stand being told something different to what they believe and who dont have any real knowledge of the subject lol

That was the conclusion you drew from that?

Horse stance training is useless, as far as athletic performance is concerned, except for the specific things mentioned in post 4.
    Stance training has benefits. People who have held stances for time and made increases over several months usually realize how weak their legs were before they started training.

Besides...it helped my skiing.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    Stance training has benefits. People who have held stances for time and made increases over several months usually realize how weak their legs were before they started training.

Besides...it helped my skiing.
    Typically yes, but there is a disclaimer for this and that is, again, specificity.
    Unless one has been training something like a horse stance, he/she will ALWAYS be weaker doing it than someone that has.
    Weak legs in hose stance compared to someone that does hose stance all the time, is, well, irrelevant other than for doing a horse stance.
    I don't do much horse stance training anymore, but when I do it I hold if for 10 min and I am sure there are guys that can hold it for far more.
    But we do need to compare apples with apples and here is an example:
    A guy that can squat 400lbs will probably not be able to hold a horse stance very long if he has never trained to do it compared to a guy that doe sit all that time, BUT does that mean his legs are weak?
    A 400lbs squat means NO, his legs are most certainly NOT weak.
    I ask you this, how many guys do you know that can hold a 20 min HS? and how much can they squat?

It is not a case of one being better than the other, just that training a specific posture and being able to hold it, doesn't mean much OUTSIDE doing just that.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Typically yes, but there is a disclaimer for this and that is, again, specificity.
    Unless one has been training something like a horse stance, he/she will ALWAYS be weaker doing it than someone that has.
    Weak legs in hose stance compared to someone that does hose stance all the time, is, well, irrelevant other than for doing a horse stance.
    I don't do much horse stance training anymore, but when I do it I hold if for 10 min and I am sure there are guys that can hold it for far more.
    But we do need to compare apples with apples and here is an example:
    A guy that can squat 400lbs will probably not be able to hold a horse stance very long if he has never trained to do it compared to a guy that doe sit all that time, BUT does that mean his legs are weak?
    A 400lbs squat means NO, his legs are most certainly NOT weak.
    I ask you this, how many guys do you know that can hold a 20 min HS? and how much can they squat?

It is not a case of one being better than the other, just that training a specific posture and being able to hold it, doesn't mean much OUTSIDE doing just that.

Agreed.

I think that you are correct regarding the specificity, however I think horse stance training carries over to OTHER stance training more that you implied with your previous post, since they are very similar.

I was wrestling during my beginning stance training years and noticed an improvement in my leg strength/endurance, so i found it helpful for 'fighting' or, rather, competing in my case.
    Quote:

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Do you even do a horse stance at all? It totally develops quads, hip flexors and the posterior chain.
    Horse stance works the hip flexors about as much as barbell curls work the triceps.

Are you a kinesiologist? Or are you making assumptions and guessing according to your own frame of reference?
    Whether I'm a kinesiologist or not has no bearing on the correctness of what I say. You were disproven by your own wikipedia link.

You also go on to say holding a push up is useless? Honestly? ths is called Chataranga in Yoga. It is a form of isotonic and isometric resistance?
    How does it existing in yoga have anything to do with this discussion? Holding a static pushup is useless as far as MA is concerned and as far as strength development is concerned.

I disagree with your position here. I don't think you train this or fully understand it enough to make attempts at diminishing the training.
    Then use science to disprove what I said in post 4 rather than just posting what you think. FWIW, I also used to train horse stance daily years and years ago. I thought it was giving me all these benefits, but really all it was doing was letting me hold horse stance longer.

Horse stance training will make you better at horse stance training. The carryover into maximal strength is minimal (as described in post 4). The carryover into endurance is minimal. Once you get past holding horse stance for a certain point (most likely a minute or two), the only benefit you continue to gain is the ability to hold a horse stance longer (and I will agree that there are some mental toughness benefits that come with it).

To the person who said it improved their skiing, I can see that happening because your skiing posture is probably within +/- 15 degrees or so of horse stance posture and the ability to hold it longer may have some carryover into your skiing stability.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Stance training isn't that bad, especially in the beginning. The key is to be consistency and perseverence.

We did 16 stances (some repeating) consecutively. every day, or every other day.

at first 15 seconds each = 4 minutes total

add a few seconds every week or so for a month.

15 stances ay 30 sec = 8 mins.

Eventually 1 minute each = 16 minutes .

We were also encouraged to jyst stand in a horse stance if you're at home, working on homework, at the dinner table, or some activity where you are static for 20-30 minutes.

The longest that I have ever held one was 45 minutes during a lecture in class. But by that point in my training, I could have held it much longer....but that's about the maximum benefit that you should expect from stance training.

Strong, stable legs for as long as I need them. Sort of the end point for stance training.
    Quote:

If "weak" is defined as "the inability to hold a horse stance for a long period of time," then sure.

But past the first minute or two they didn't get stronger, all they got was more endurance when it comes to holding horse stance.

Not cardiovascular endurance, just muscular endurance at that particular angle.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Once you get past holding horse stance for a certain point (most likely a minute or two), the only benefit you continue to gain is the ability to hold a horse stance longer (and I will agree that there are some mental toughness benefits that come with it)..

The mental toughness from a horse stance is minimal, as the stance is relatively high. The real willpower comes from holding the 'thighs parallel' stances. You bite holes in your tongue just to take your mind off of the pain and burning in your legs.
    Last edited by IronWeasel; 09-26-2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: sp
    Quote:

If "weak" is defined as "the inability to hold a horse stance for a long period of time," then sure.

But past the first minute or two they didn't get stronger, all they got was more endurance when it comes to holding horse stance.

Not cardiovascular endurance, just muscular endurance at that particular angle.

Yep, but that kind of endurance is valuable in a fight/competition.
    Quote:

Yep, but that kind of endurance is valuable in a fight/competition.
    only if you are holding that angle for a period of time, and unless you fight out of a horse stance you wont be so why bother?
    as a strength building exercise its next to worthless unless you are weak as a kitten to begin with
    as an endurance exercise again its next to worthless,
    as a flexibility exercise its next to..well you get it
    Now as a way to fill the time in a class and weed out people it has merit

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    only if you are holding that angle for a period of time, and unless you fight out of a horse stance you wont be so why bother?

Fighting, wrestling etc...is conducted from a bent legged posture. So while you are fighting, you are 'holding that angle for a period of time'.
    Quote:

Fighting, wrestling etc...is conducted from a bent legged posture. So while you are fighting, you are 'holding that angle for a period of time'.
    Well, outside of AMA, you won't find much static stance training.
    You don't find it in boxing or in wrestling for example.
    And even in AMA, you don't find it that much either.
    You don't find it in the grappling arts and while you find it in some striking systems, it is usually done as part of the basics routine while throwing technqiues ( examples being in Karate and TKD when students hold the horse stance while punching and blocking in the air).
    Holding a stances in a static way just for the sake of holding it is generally found in TCMA.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Well, outside of AMA, you won't find much static stance training.
    You don't find it in boxing or in wrestling for example.
    And even in AMA, you don't find it that much either.
    You don't find it in the grappling arts and while you find it in some striking systems, it is usually done as part of the basics routine while throwing technqiues ( examples being in Karate and TKD when students hold the horse stance while punching and blocking in the air).
    Holding a stances in a static way just for the sake of holding it is generally found in TCMA.

We used to do 'wall squats' in wrestling practice.

That was a static position, with the thighs parallel, and the back flat up against the wall.

We held it for one minute. Everyone hated it except for the three of us who had ma training. lol
    Quote:

Wow

There are some ignorant, stupid, and uneducated people here. Unreal.

We used to do 'wall squats' in wrestling practice.

That was a static position, with the thighs parallel, and the back flat up against the wall.

We held it for one minute. Everyone hated it except for the three of us who had ma training. lol
    One legged wall squats are awesome !
    Good times.
    Never did them in my time in wrestling, static bridges yes, but not any static stances.