Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits of Horse Stance Training

horse stance is great for mounted archery!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Oh and John Wang makes a good point for prolonged wrestling matches.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    That was the conclusion you drew from that?

Horse stance training is useless, as far as athletic performance is concerned, except for the specific things mentioned in post 4.
    i hurt my back last week and i find doing horse stance helps me recover since it puts no stress on my back and pump my blood.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

IronFist and all whom do not believe that Horse (or any static stance training) stance has value in MA:

You guys are only thinking with horse blinders on. You can only see straight ahead and what your modern science can prove. You need to step back and take your blinders off.

Horse stance gives basic leg strength. For you modern guys, if you want more.... do squats, sit on a leg press / bench etc etc.

Horse stance provides some flexibilty. Again if you want more.... do other stretches.

Horse stance does provide some balance and more important ROOTING. Rooting is the ability to sink and lower your weight mass. Horse stance practice allows you to learn how to relax while stress in on your legs, thus allowing blood and body fluids to sink.

Horse stance builds good mental focus... However it was used to weed out people with bad character. Only those individuals who persisted with Horse stance were taken in as Todai or students. Those who had the guts, stubborness, and mental fortitude would go on to learn.

Hundreds of years ago while practicing.... there some people who did not have weights (other than some rocks or stone locks) to use, so kung fu teachers used static stances and Dynamic or isometric tensions to help build strength.

Horse stance also teaches a type of structural postioning for certain techniques.

This is not to say that we as a modern society do not have other methods to build strength, however too many of you meatheads replace important kung fu drills with weight lifting. Getting stronger is good but not at the expense of skill and technique.

Remember that Horse stance training is just like running or push ups or hitting the heavy bags. They are all supplimental training and are second to solo and 2 person drills and sparring.

ginosifu

It is also important to note that horse stance training is not limited to only static stance holding. This is a misconception by many people, perpetuated by those same people who do not know there are many variations of stance training.

Do people actually believe that the squat is a new invention, and that it is not a part of horse stance training and stance training in general??

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    It is also important to note that horse stance training is not limited to only static stance holding. This is a misconception by many people, perpetuated by those same people who do not know there are many variations of stance training.

Do people actually believe that the squat is a new invention, and that it is not a part of horse stance training and stance training in general??
    Nope, and people have been aware of the benefits of progressive resistance training for a long time. The current way of doing squats with weight is simply an improvement.

Very true, YET the vast majority of posts in this thread and, lets be honest, the majority of horse stance training is static.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Sorry Ironfist, but YOU are going to have to provide the science.
    lol

I think that your attempt to diminish teh value of this training is weird.

as said, you do wall squats? why? what's the point of those, they just make your wall squat better.

Of course you get better at it if you practice, that applies to EVERYTHING.
    Of course it works your will because it is difficult and muscles are being worked.
    Yes it develops strength early on and maintains it throughout your training.

Seriously, sometimes you talk out of your ass in favour of dang semantics. It's ridicuous.

Bottom line is you will improve balance, strength and rooting and it will work your posterior chain including your hip flexors the same was as squats work em. You don't think you go up and down in horse?

You young bucks always so quick to try to get people to turn away from stuff you don't do. YOu get critical about things you have really no place criticizing. Why not try it for a year, come back and tell us what you know about sei ping dai ma after that?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    Yep, but that kind of endurance is valuable in a fight/competition.
    Disagree. No one uses a horse stance in fighting for more than a brief moment maybe ducking under a punch or rising from the ground, etc.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    IronFist and all whom do not believe that Horse (or any static stance training) stance has value in MA:

You guys are only thinking with horse blinders on. You can only see straight ahead and what your modern science can prove. You need to step back and take your blinders off.

Horse stance gives basic leg strength. For you modern guys, if you want more.... do squats, sit on a leg press / bench etc etc.
    Quantify "basic leg strength." What is it?

I already explained the "strength" you get from it in post 4.

Horse stance provides some flexibilty. Again if you want more.... do other stretches.
    What? No it doesn't.

Horse stance does provide some balance and more important ROOTING. Rooting is the ability to sink and lower your weight mass. Horse stance practice allows you to learn how to relax while stress in on your legs, thus allowing blood and body fluids to sink.
    Rooting is nonsense. "Allowing blood and body fluids to sink?" They're only sinking because you're lowering yourself and they're physically getting lower as a result. In real life, when your blood and body fluids sink, it's a medical emergency and you have to go to the hospital.

Horse stance builds good mental focus... However it was used to weed out people with bad character. Only those individuals who persisted with Horse stance were taken in as Todai or students. Those who had the guts, stubborness, and mental fortitude would go on to learn.
    Sure, I'll agree it builds mental focus.

Hundreds of years ago while practicing.... there some people who did not have weights (other than some rocks or stone locks) to use, so kung fu teachers used static stances and Dynamic or isometric tensions to help build strength.
    Absolutely. Something is better than nothing. Doing horse stance is better leg training than doing nothing.

I suspect hundreds of years ago they also did weightless body squats (sometimes called "Hindu squats"), but for some reason those got dropped out of popular kung fu training.

btw, Hindu squats are much more applicable to fighting than horse stance.

Horse stance also teaches a type of structural postioning for certain techniques.
    I suppose, but you never use those techniques in an actual fight so it really doesn't matter.

This is not to say that we as a modern society do not have other methods to build strength, however too many of you meatheads replace important kung fu drills with weight lifting. Getting stronger is good but not at the expense of skill and technique.
    Nonense. The only way you get stronger "at the expense of skill and technique" is if you stop practicing skill and technique.

Remember that Horse stance training is just like running or push ups or hitting the heavy bags. They are all supplimental training and are second to solo and 2 person drills and sparring.
    Right. It's just that horse stance isn't really a very good supplemental training method because, as stated in post 4, its only real benefit (past the first minute or two) is being able to hold a horse stance for longer.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Sorry Ironfist, but YOU are going to have to provide the science.
    lol
    I already did, in post 4.

I think that your attempt to diminish teh value of this training is weird.

as said, you do wall squats? why? what's the point of those, they just make your wall squat better.
    I never said I do wall squats. Wall squats are just about as useless as horse stance. The only difference is wrestlers don't look at wall squatting as if it were the holy grail of fitness.

Of course you get better at it if you practice, that applies to EVERYTHING.
    Of course it works your will because it is difficult and muscles are being worked.
    Yes it develops strength early on and maintains it throughout your training.

Seriously, sometimes you talk out of your ass in favour of dang semantics. It's ridicuous.

Bottom line is you will improve balance, strength and rooting and it will work your posterior chain including your hip flexors the same was as squats work em. You don't think you go up and down in horse?

You young bucks always so quick to try to get people to turn away from stuff you don't do. YOu get critical about things you have really no place criticizing. Why not try it for a year, come back and tell us what you know about sei ping dai ma after that?
    How does it improve balance?

Strength? Only as explained in post 4.

Rooting is nonsense as explained in the previous post.

Who's turning anyone away? As stated, I trained horse stance daily years ago. I finally realized I was wasting my time, though, because it wasn't taking me to where I wanted to go.

If your goal is to do TCMA techniques, or be able to hold a horse stance for a long time, then by all means, train horse stance.

If your goal is to kick harder, be stronger, or have more endurance for fighting, horse stance is not going to get you there (past the first minute or two of holding it).

I know this is sacrilege to some of you guys. Not trying to offend.

I did Iron Body and Stone Warrior every day a little over a decade ago. I was so hardcore about it and would tell people how weightlifting was bad and made you slow and all the other TMA crap I had been fed. I also thought MMA was stupid and grappling could be defeated with knees and iron palm strikes to the head.

A day in my university's gym set me on the path that would eventually clear up my strength training misconceptions.

30 seconds of sparring at an MMA gym cleared up my misconceptions about TCMA, grappling, and resisting opponents (but that's another topic for another thread).

But if all you've ever been told is the same old TCMA nonsense from your sifu for years, those beliefs can be pretty ingrained. Fortunately for me, I'm pretty scientific-minded and was able to get the blinders off pretty quickly.

If what you're doing is working for you, then keep doing it. My goal was to get stronger, to hit harder, and to have more endurance for fighting. Horse stance training was not meeting my needs, and with all the stuff I was doing I was doing it for 30+ minutes per day. I could hold it for a long time, but I wasn't strong.

At best, I was marginally stronger than someone my size who didn't work out, but that was that. I weighed like 150 and could bench press 115 for a rep or two and could squat 95 pounds for a rep or two, after years of horse stance nonsense, dynamic tension sets (which at the time I believed were the bees knees, secret strength training from the ancients, all that type of stuff), pushups, etc. Indeed, I wasn't very strong.

I got stronger in my first month of weight training than I was from years of doing all the other stuff.

Sure, I've lost the ability to hold a horse stance for a while, but I don't care, because that was never useful in the first place. I don't fight from a horse stance. I don't do anything from a horse stance. Static contractions for time don't make you stronger. It's pointless after a minute or so for the reasons explained in post 4.

I have used it from time to time just to break up the monotony, or as part of rehab, or if I'm traveling and don't have access to a gym and am bored and think "I wonder if I can hold a horse stance for 90 seconds still," but that's about it.

I know I'm wasting my breath, but this was a fun post to type regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Very true, YET the vast majority of posts in this thread and, lets be honest, the majority of horse stance training is static.
    That is true, but i do disagree about most horse training being static. let me elaborate. When I first started cma my sifu would have us hold horse for sure, starting small then increasing time as is usual for many cma. Keep in mind my sifu was also raised/trained in a temple invironment, where horse is used for many reasons. During our 'testing' depending on time in you would be required to hold horse for 30-45 minutes, and reach your max (or close to max) sit ups and push ups before doing your forms and techniques, fighting was last when you were exhausted against people there soley for the sparring who were completely fresh. holding a horse for that long does exhaust your legs, especially if you dont do that time frame regularly, which honestly i never did even though i could reach those limits my legs were shot. So doing all your form and technique, after crapping out your legs and then after all of that sparring fresh people back to back, is a valuable lesson in itself as to how to fight when you have absolutely nothing left. Its pure will to continue at that point. Can you get exhausted another way? sure. I experienced the same thing in judo without the horse stance training. In judo we hold a wide sumo style horse stance for a few minutes but thats all.

but we also did several different types of squats. Regular squats, jumping squats, horse jumping (you get in horse and hop forward and up as best you can without leaving the horse position) and we would also work our way up to one leg squats.

I am one of those people that view the whole thing as horse stance training. static, dynamic, squats, jumping, etc. its all horse stance training. While i do not fight from a low horse stance, there are indeed times that i have used a horse stance during fighting, especially in judo, over and over again. Do i view horse stance as some super duper mystical 'holy grail' as it was put, no lol. I dont live in extremes, I'm a pretty balanced person in many ways, I dont see it as the end all, or even that special other than all the variations of it that are used constantly, but I dont out right dismiss it.

Every wrestler does 'horse stance training' whether they like it or not. Most dont do static training but all do squats. what do you think the action of a squat is. Dont get caught up in a name guys....a squat is just a dynamic use of the 'horse stance' call it what you want, i call it horse, and i can if i want, because it is. most people just hear the name horse and start frothing at the mouth because they cant get past an attachment they have created for themselves.
    Last edited by Lucas; 09-26-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Somewhere along the lines this became an either/or thing when it really isn't.
    Even in the olden days ( LOL) fighters did Both static stance training and dynamic and also did progressive resistance training.
    There was no reason to choose one over the other since they both ( stance specific training and resistance training) were valuable.

We've all done stance training, you can't go through MA without doing it and those that have also done progressive resistance training KNOW that you can't compare the two but guess what? you don't have to nor should you, BOTH have their benefits.

That is true, but i do disagree about most horse training being static. let me elaborate. When I first started cma my sifu would have us hold horse for sure, starting small then increasing time as is usual for many cma. Keep in mind my sifu was also raised/trained in a temple invironment, where horse is used for many reasons. During our 'testing' depending on time in you would be required to hold horse for 30-45 minutes, and reach your max (or close to max) sit ups and push ups before doing your forms and techniques, fighting was last when you were exhausted against people there soley for the sparring who were completely fresh. holding a horse for that long does exhaust your legs, especially if you dont do that time frame regularly, which honestly i never did even though i could reach those limits my legs were shot. So doing all your form and technique, after crapping out your legs and then after all of that sparring fresh people back to back, is a valuable lesson in itself as to how to fight when you have absolutely nothing left. Its pure will to continue at that point. Can you get exhausted another way? sure. I experienced the same thing in judo without the horse stance training. In judo we hold a wide sumo style horse stance for a few minutes but thats all.

but we also did several different types of squats. Regular squats, jumping squats, horse jumping (you get in horse and hop forward and up as best you can without leaving the horse position) and we would also work our way up to one leg squats.

I am one of those people that view the whole thing as horse stance training. static, dynamic, squats, jumping, etc. its all horse stance training. While i do not fight from a low horse stance, there are indeed times that i have used a horse stance during fighting, especially in judo, over and over again. Do i view horse stance as some super duper mystical 'holy grail' as it was put, no lol. I dont live in extremes, I'm a pretty balanced person in many ways, I dont see it as the end all, or even that special other than all the variations of it that are used constantly, but I dont out right dismiss it.

Every wrestler does 'horse stance training' whether they like it or not. Most dont do static training but all do squats. what do you think the action of a squat is. Dont get caught up in a name guys....a squat is just a dynamic use of the 'horse stance' call it what you want, i call it horse, and i can if i want, because it is. most people just hear the name horse and start frothing at the mouth because they cant get past an attachment they have created for themselves.
    Of course, YET, and you know this is true, when people think and talk about horse stance training they think STATIC ie: holding the horse stance.
    You don't hear people asking, within the context of horse stance training, how many BW squats you can do but how long you can hold your horse stance.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Of course, YET, and you know this is true, when people think and talk about horse stance training they think STATIC ie: holding the horse stance.
    You don't hear people asking, within the context of horse stance training, how many BW squats you can do but how long you can hold your horse stance.
    lol i know you're right....

its frustrating...the first thing i will tell someone when asked 'what can i do to get a better horse stance?' i tell them squats. you know, besides getting to the point that you can also do a proper horse stance. but squats help with that tremendously