Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ip Man: Final Fight

Ip Man: Final Fight

This is not part of Donnie's soon-to-be trilogy, but the sequel to Ip Man: The Legend is Born.

“Ip Man: Final Fight” – In Production
    Posted August 28, 2012 by kingofkungfu in Hong Kong/Chinese News

Ip Man: Final Fight is the latest movie in production, but this is not part of the Donnie yen series, yet another spin off from the success of the movies like Ip Man – Legend Is Born.

The three leading actors in the movie are Anthony Wong, Gillian Chung and Jordan Chan, all which have studied Wing Chun before the filming of the movie. Anthony Wong will play an older version of Ip Man whilst Gillian Chung and Jordan Chan will play Yip’s students. The cast also includes Anita Yuen, Eric Tsang and Timmy Hung.

Also out this year is the movie Grand Masters, another movie based on the legend of Ip Man, which will star Tony Leung and of course Ip Man 3 – 3D, as Donnie Yen steps back in to play probably the biggest part in his career.

The movie will probably be released sometime in 2013.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Ip Man 3?

Well, that's going to confuse some people. Oh right. That's the point.
    "Ip Man 3" to premiere at HKIFF
    From Cinema Online Exclusively for Yahoo! NewsroomBy Syahida Kamarudin | Thu, Feb 28, 2013 1:52 PM SGT

"Ip Man 3" to premiere at HKIFF

28 Feb – The highly anticipated movie, "Ip Man: The Final Fight" is finally ready for release and will premiere at the Hong Kong International Film Festival on 17 March.

Jayne Stars website reported that the movie, a direct sequel to the 2010 prequel film, "The Legend is Born – Ip Man" stars Anthony Wong instead of Donnie Yen in the role of Ip Man.

Produced by Checkley Sin and directed by Herman Yau, the movie features Ip Man as an aging Wing Chun hero, and focuses on his final years in 1950s Hong Kong, where he attempts to establish his own martial arts academy against an economically-challenged environment in the restoration age post-World War II.

Checkley Sin, who was also a disciple of Ip Man's son Ip Chun, expressed, "This will be the last Ip Man movie I will invest in. This film is different from other Kung Fu and action films. There are some aspects of Ip Man that others still don't know about, and I want to present them in this film."

He continued, "The Final Fight is a film that is able to tell the complete life of Ip Man. As a loyal Wing Chun practitioner and successor of Ip Man, I believe that The Final Fight will be able to provide a perfect ending to his legendary story."

The movie, filmed at the RMB 1.4 billion Xiqiao Dreamworks Studios built by Hong Kong's National Arts Holdings in Xiqiao, Guangdong, also stars Eric Tsang, Anita Yuen, Gillian Chung, Jordan Chan, and Wong Cho Lam.

It will be released in Hong Kong cinemas on 28 March.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

on the one hand i like to see anthony wong doing more kung fu roles(he is actually well versed in tai shing pek kwar) the only one he did before this was that stephen fung, spy kids rip off, which was pretty cool. on the other hand... enough ip man movies...

NEW Ip Man The Final Fight

This is a lot better than the last rubbish released out there Ip 2 , Grandmaster Takes its time abit but once going, makes you see why VT became popular in Hong Kong

Click continue as free user

http://www.sockshare.com/file/39DBC5D7A1F97809#

Ip Man Movie - Final Fight

What do you think about the new IP Man moive called Final Fight?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

I am not a big fan of the Ip Man movies, I think they do a disservice to wing chun. Further, I feel they encourage all the 'fake' sifus we are starting to see and enables marketing strategies such as those used by Sam Kwok; he dresses up like Ip Man in the movies now and performs demos to the sound track.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    I am not a big fan of the Ip Man movies, I think they do a disservice to wing chun. Further, I feel they encourage all the 'fake' sifus we are starting to see and enables marketing strategies such as those used by Sam Kwok; he dresses up like Ip Man in the movies now and performs demos to the sound track.
    LMAO! He looks so silly in his long dress doing his slap-fu.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    What do you think about the new IP Man moive called Final Fight?
    As movie on it's own: I found it pretty boring, every fight scene had a good build up but just fell flat.

As an Ip Man movie/franchise: I would probably rank it second below Donnie Yen's movies, slightly better than The Grandmaster (although it probably had some of the most interesting cinematography I've seen in a long time), but definitely above The Legend is Born. I'm sure this isn't the last franchise to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    LMAO! He looks so silly in his long dress doing his slap-fu.
    BTW I am not joking. Youtube has many clips and one recent one done in London.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    BTW I am not joking. Youtube has many clips and one recent one done in London.
    I know! That picture came immediately to mind. lol

The song played on repeat for over 15 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V3lpIe8LwQ

Theatrical release 9/20

IP MAN: THE FINAL FIGHT (US Trailer) on VOD 8/20, in Theaters 9/20

Well, this is going to be confusing...
    USA

Sep 20, 2013
    NEW YORK CITY

Cinema Village
    22 E 12th St.
    New York, NY 10003

LOS ANGELES / SAN DIEGO

Laemmle Noho 7
    5240 Lankershim Blvd
    North Hollywood, CA 91601

SAN FRANCISCO / BAY AREA

Four Star Theater
    2200 Clement St
    San Francisco, CA 94121

CHICAGO

Music Box Theatre
    3733 N. Southport Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60613
    BUY TICKETS
    PORTLAND

Hollywood Theatre
    4122 NE Sandy Blvd
    Portland, OR 97212

PHOENIX

FilmBar
    815 N 2nd St
    Phoenix, AZ 85004

DENVER

SIE FilmCenter
    2510 E Colfax Ave
    Denver, CO 80206
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Anyone going tomorrow?

I can't. But it's available on iTunes already I think.

Here's a teaser on Hulu: Ip Man: The Final Fight Exclusive Clip

A lion dance fight. I love lion dance fights.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another clip

You know, I enjoy both Anthony Wong and Eric Tsang as actors. They are both superb character actors and have delivered some amazing non-martial arts films. It's amusing to see them duke it out in this scene as neither is really that renown for their martial arts. I do plan to see this, more for their performances than the martial arts (although the fight scenes don't look too bad so far, all things considered).

IP MAN: THE FINAL FIGHT Clip: Two Masters
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ip Man overview in the LA Times

Posting this here instead of on the GM thread, just because of the pic.
    Martial arts master Ip Man reigns large in film
    Reel China: Wong Kar Wai's 'The Grandmaster' and Herman Yau's 'The Final Fight' are just the latest to take on near-mythical kung fu expert Ip Man.
    By Clarissa Sebag-Montefiore
    September 21, 2013, 9:00 a.m.

Anthony Wong portrays Wing Chun grandmaster Ip Man in "Ip Man: The Final Flight." (Well Go USA Entertainment / September 22, 2013)

HONG KONG — There is a scene near the beginning of Wong Kar Wai's "The Grandmaster" in which the main character, the martial arts expert Ip Man, expounds on the ethos of his practice. "Kung fu: two words. One horizontal, one vertical — if you're wrong, you'll be left lying down. If you're right, you're left standing — and only the ones who stand have the right to talk."

Lately it seems filmmakers can't talk enough about Ip Man. Born in southern China in 1893, he was notable for having taught the iconic Bruce Lee and popularizing the Wing Chun school of kung fu. Though he died in poverty and exile in Hong Kong in 1972, Ip has become an almost mythical figure featuring in multiple films in recent years.

Besides "The Grandmaster," now in theaters, he is the subject of Herman Yau's "Ip Man: The Final Fight" (which opens Sept. 20 in L.A. and is available on VOD) and at least three other major films since 2008 — Yau's "The Legend Is Born: Ip Man," plus Wilson Yip's "Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2." An "Ip Man 3" is in the works as well.

Ip's character is engaging filmmakers and audiences as much for the traditional Chinese values he is seen to represent as for his own biography, which spans many tumultuous years of Chinese history and offers multiple entry points for dramatic storytelling.

"Ip Man is a blank slate," explained Grady Hendrix, a founder of the New York Asian Film Festival. "The movies can make him into whatever they choose to make him. It is just helpful to say here is this avatar of Chinese virtue who also kicks a lot of ass."

Added Roger Garcia, director of the Hong Kong International Film Festival: "He is a partly Confucian-driven person who stands up for his principles and fights the bad guys. Ip Man is a kind of hero. And there are not too many superheroes in China."

Another factor in the flowering of interest in Ip's story? The difficulty of making movies about his famous pupil, Lee. "The holy grail of Hong Kong for a long time is to make a biopic of Bruce Lee," Hendrix said. "But the Lee family controls his image very closely so his Wing Chun teacher is the next best thing."

The flurry of Ip Man films have proven popular in Hong Kong and beyond. Wong's "The Grandmaster," for instance, earned more than $50 million worldwide and is the Hong Kong director's highest-grossing film ever in mainland China. (Ip left the mainland just as the Communist era was starting, so his story presents few problems for mainland censors and yet for audiences feels more contemporary than many imperial dynasty period dramas. Some Ip Man films, including "Grandmaster," have emphasized his resistance to Japanese occupation during World War II.)

For filmmakers, Ip is a malleable lens through which they can channel their visions. In "The Grandmaster," Tony Leung plays Ip with his trademark brooding introspection; this is a man who beats his competitors through self-restraint and wits rather than mere brawn. But Wong, a romantic auteur, uses Ip — and a fictional side story of his unconsummated love for the martial artist Gong Er (played by Zhang Ziyi) — to examine regret and yearning. Both characters battle their opponents in elements and landscapes that mirror their own tortured souls, from torrential sheets of rain to the vast snowy drifts of northern China.

By contrast, Yau — a veteran commercial director — uses Ip as a framing device to explore Hong Kong's colonial history. Ip arrived in the then-British colony in 1949, and "The Final Fight" homes in on how locals chafed against London's rule.

While the movies have opposing styles — "The Grandmaster" is languid, lush and consumed by longing while "The Final Fight" is fast-paced and often funny — they both touch on the struggles of mainland Chinese who settled in Hong Kong after the Japanese invasion and the Communist takeover.

"When I was shooting the movie, I tried to imagine how my father and my mother were living in that era, how they struggled, how they brought up me and my brothers," explained Yau in his hometown, which the British returned to Chinese rule in 1997. "Hong Kong is quite nostalgic now because things are disappearing too fast."

To recapture the Hong Kong of the past, Yau not only built historical sets but also tried to create the aesthetic of an old film. In his movie Ip, to the disapproval of his students, falls for a glamorous singer. They cautiously set up a semblance of a life together, but there are no sex scenes; their affair is platonic and chaste. Yau wanted to mimic the movies made in Hong Kong during the '50s when "there is no way to find a love scene. What I have done is to put the 1950s aura into 'The Final Fight.'"

To prepare to play Ip in "The Grandmaster," Leung spent a year and a half training in Wing Chun (and broke his arm twice while shooting). But beyond his physical prowess, it was Ip's intelligence and moral compass that Leung most wanted to portray. The actor recalled that when he came across a photograph of the real Ip, he saw "a man who doesn't look like a kung fu man. He looks like a scholar, a very refined, graceful person. In his eyes, I can see Ip Man still has dignity."

This notion is corroborated by Sifu Duncan Leung, one of Ip's former students, who trained with the master in 1950s Hong Kong and acted as Leung's martial arts teacher. "In the winter, [Ip Man] wore a very thin beat-up jacket, thin shorts and no shoes," recalled Sifu. "He was a real gentleman. He never complained, he never asked for help, not once."

Yet as filmmakers have built up Ip as a folk figure, most have shied away from the more t***** parts of his life. According to Sifu, Ip dabbled in opium and his second wife was an addict. "The Final Fight" alludes to this (Ip's love interest offers him opium), but the issue is never fully explored.

Instead, it is Wing Chun — a martial art based on short and fast punches — that takes center stage in both "The Grandmaster" and "The Final Fight." Darren Leung, Duncan's son and Tony Leung's day-to-day trainer, describes Wing Chun as "about economy of motion. The maximum result for the minimum effort."

In "The Grandmaster," it is the codes that surround this art, and the gilt-laden walls of the lavish Golden Pavilion brothel where its practitioners gather, that consume its characters.

"The Grandmaster" was a decade in the making and its production was fraught with problems; it is unlikely Wong Kar Wai will be making any more Ip Man movies soon. But for Herman Yau, the lure of Ip's story — and no doubt the profits it provides — continues to tempt.

"I still want to make one or two more Ip Man movies," Yau said. "There are still many more stories and dramas during Ip Man's life which are very interesting to me as a filmmaker. Even though the title is the 'Final Fight,' we still have some final years."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ip man grand prize!

Enter to win a IP MAN GRAND PRIZE (3 DVDS: Ip Man, Ip Man 2: Legend of the Grandmaster & Ip Man: The Final Fight)! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 11/14/13. Good luck everyone!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips